Mountain Project Logo

Plumas National Forest

Original Post
Bryan Carroll · · Los Osos, CA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 165

Is anyone familiar with areas to climb in Plumas National Forest? I am going on a long family vacation there and want to get some (well..alot) of climbing in.

-Bryan

Thanks for the reply, we are staying about seven miles from Graeagle so hopefuly there will be some rock not to long of a drive from our cabin. Ill be sure to pm Slater.

Rick B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

Donner Summit is to the north a little over an hour away (from Graeagle). Grizzly Dome is mostly one pitch granite slab/face, mostly bolted, about an hour plus down the Feather River Canyon. Locals boulder and maybe climb routes up by Bucks Lake about an hour away. I haven't visited there, but I bet you could get beta in Quincy, where there is a contingent of climbers.

BrettMarty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Bryan,

I live and climb in the Quincy area. Depending on what you like to climb and how far you are willing to approach there are alot of hidden gems.

Grizzly Dome; sporty slab and face, can be very fun, but also very hot in the summer. In the Feather River Canyon on hwy 70.
Bald Rock Dome; tuolumne style dome, in a backcountry setting (sketchy foothills folks kinda way). Off of Buck Oroville Hwy. near Brush Creek. 5-6 pitch climbs with lots of run-outs
Bucks Wilderness;1-3 pitch climbs with 60 min approaches. Very good granite mixed with very poor granite. There is no printed beta on these routes, particularly because many have gone up in the last two years. (Contact me for the info)
Lakes Basin Area. Steep Sport climbing. The local expert is Alan Swanson, but you can also ask Will, who works at the local bike shop in Graeagle. Sounds like there is alot of routes w/ in striking distance form Graeagle.
Mills Peak; just outside of Graeagle, some fun very steep and mostly hard sport routes. Climbs are right near the summit.
Sierra Buttes: Adventure climbing

There is heaps more, and it is surprising how many climbers you'll come across in Plumas. I will be back from the valley in july and will be looking for climbing partners, give me a shout if you want some more info or want to climb.

Hey Brett, thanks for the information, it's really appreciated!
Ill PM you about this summer.

Sammer · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 90

You wouldn't be happening to stay at Elwell Lodge, would you? I go there for a couple weeks every summer and am also looking for climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Plumas National Forest"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.