Mountain Project Logo

Vail / Fang Colapse?!

Original Post
John Widerman · · Minturn, CO · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35

I just got word not but an hour ago that someone might have fallen off a climb in the designator amphitheater in vail while I was at the fire house climbing. I had to be back to work and drove by on the highway 30 min ago and it looked like the Fang had Collapsed?! If anyone has any info on this please keep me/us up to date. I hope I just didn't look close enough or something...

Brad Grohusky · · Frisco, CO · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 235

I can confirm that the Fang has fallen - noticed this about 25 minutes ago (4:06 pm now). My work window looks into amphitheatre. I know nothing else and cannot see (with binos) of any movement or persons up in the area or below.

Jim Amidon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 850
vaildaily.com/article/20100…

Best wished for the fallen
Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

Oh man, best wishes to the climber and partners. Hopefully they will be okay.

Will Butler · · Lyons, CO · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 56

That's terrible but The Fang had no business being climbed. It was super wet and in very unstable conditions as of Sunday. Thoughts with the climber and his family.

Conditions on Sunday

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Definitely sending good vibes tonight. Hope you can update us on his status later.

Curt Nelson · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 435

Wow that is awful. I'm so glad it sounds like he will survive. Definitely best wishes and vibes to Matt and his circle. I was there also on Sunday and I didn't even like walking by the thing. Here is another link with a bit more info:

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20100112/NEWS/100119922/-1/RSS

MixmasterM10 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 5

I was in the area on Saturday and watched a guy from Dillion put up the Fang. It took him about 2 hours and he said he didn't have a "good" screw the entire length of the pillar. It was hollow, un-consolidated chandelier ice, pretty much Grade 6 and probably with an X rating. This fallen climber is lucky to be alive and I think he's got balls of steel to take the sharp end on something like The Fang in the condition it was. I'm glad he's going to live to climb another day. Best wishes and a speedy recovery!!!

Dan Young · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 5

Thats a big break, sorry to hear about the climber and the Fang, probably wont be back in this year eh? At least the climber is going to be ok, there have been some really lucky people in Vail the past couple years

phil wortmann · · Colorado Springs, Co. · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 1,186

Was there Sunday but thought better of climbing the fang. It looked too lean.

Sean S. · · Thornton, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 10

Positive vibes going out to the climber and his friends and family. I backed off a pillar yesterday that looked like it was in better shape than the fang because of how hollow it sounded. But, everyone has their level of acceptable risk, and I can respect the climber's willingness to get on that,

Tony Davis · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 155
Sean S. wrote:Positive vibes going out to the climber and his friends and family. I backed off a pillar yesterday that looked like it was in better shape than the fang because of how hollow it sounded. But, everyone has their level of acceptable risk, and I can respect the climber's willingness to get on that,
+1, well put. Positive vibes to the climber hope all is well
Monte · · Alaska · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

Our thoughts are with you Matty. We are sending you all the positive enegry and love we can.

dave gutin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

stay strong matt! positive thoughts from montana!!!!!!!!

Daniel Battin · · Green Mtn. Falls, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 440

Matt, as soon as you can write, you have got one hell of a story to tell. Get well soon!

Crag Dweller · · New York, NY · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

i'm guessing he survived b/c he landed on his balls. if he was willing to climb the fang when it was that thin, they're huge and would've cushioned his fall.

best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,186

Thanks for all the love and support for Matt. He is in the ICU down in Denver with a laundry list of injuries that are requiring a lot of surgeries to repair. He's not out of the woods yet! Its amazing how the community has pooled together for such an amazing person. Matt is one of the strongest people I know physically and mentally. I can't wait to climb with Matty again to have him heckle me on what a pussy I am, Ha Ha. Drink some beers for Matty!

Jeffrey Dunn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 229

Your brothers in the east hope to see you back on the sharp end soon Matt.

Wingman Winger · · Montrose, CO · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

Best vibes for a complete and speedy recovery Matt from a guy who is recovering from a grounder in the Ice Park in December. After Matt gets home from the hospital he'll need a lot of support from his friends. It just takes lots of time to heal.

jd3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2007 · Points: 0

Hey Rowdy or Matty's other buddies,
I live in Denver and was one of the folks who evac'd him from the site. I would like to visit and give him some good energy in person but don't know which hospital he is in. If you would send me a email with that info I would be glad to visit... thanks. jdsignom@hotmail.com

Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,815

Note, a

CELL PHONE was found nearby.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Vail / Fang Colapse?!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started