Barney Rumble Tower Rock Climbing
|GPS:||38.621, -109.526 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||5,047 total · 28/month|
|Shared By:||Ben Folsom on Feb 17, 2006 · Updates|
|Admins:||slim, Andrew Gram, Nathan Fisher, Perin Blanchard, GRK, DCrane|
Indian Creek 2019 info: or the linkblm.gov/press-release/annou….
RAPTOR CLOSURES: please be aware of seasonal raptor closures at the Cat Wall and Reservoir Wall. They occur annually from March 31st until August 31st. *Due to the federal hiring freeze in agencies such as the BLM of Monticello, no official closure for 2017 has been issued and the laws which have been put in place in previous years are not being enforced. Please, for the sake of fragile desert ecology, DO NOT CLIMB at stated walls. These raptors return to the same nesting sites every year to raise their nestlings.
1. The best landing is DIRECTLY beneath the left side of the dry waterfall and the opening is small and easy to overshoot. It is really hard to see from the road, so I recommend crossing the river directly and then get ready to eddy out into it as you drift along the far shoreline, watching to pass under the dry waterfall.
2. Traverse along the base of the cliff until you reach a boulder field. Scramble up this trending left until you reach the wall, then double back right. This takes you to the obvious short 5.7-5.8 corner to climb through.
3. Stay near the rim as you traverse over to the wash that forms the top of the dry waterfall. A direct way down into the wash and over to the tower can be found here.
4. Rappel anchors are new chains on the N side of the tower above good ledges. They cannot be seen from the summit and the downclimb is easy but exposed.
5. The 5.7-5.8 corner climbed on the approach can be rappelled by slings on a tree near the cliff edge about 50' climber's left from where you topped out. They are hard to see until you reach the tree.
6. There is a rappel anchor off of the dry waterfall that would place you almost directly on where you put in. There might be a rappel at the upper tier of the waterfall to access this, so when walking back, see if you can find this easier descent!
Classic Climbing Routes at Barney Rumble Tower
Days w Precip