Mountain Project Logo

Bob Marshall Wilderness

Original Post
Annabelle Brown · · Bozeman/Missoula · Joined Sep 2022 · Points: 25

Anyone have stories/advice or info on climbing the Chinese Wall in the Bob? 

Jackson Chambers · · Springville, UT · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 52

You'll probably get more info posting in a regional or even just the general forum. Typically the trip reports section is a good place to post after your trip and share all your fun stories. Hope the climbing there turns out awesome!

nanami bhai · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2023 · Points: 0

I’ve done several trips in the Bob (Chinese wall included) and you are in for a treat! Absolutely love the beauty of this wilderness area. Biggest item of concern imo are grizzlies. I’ve had 4 close encounters and they definitely shook me up and caused some sleepless nights. Never go anywhere without your bear spray. And be vigilant about good bear bag placement.

Dan Bachen · · Helena, MT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 1,143

Have hiked the base a half dozen times. Not sure if any formal routes have been established through the steeper aspects. The rock is pretty typical limestone choss and similar to other areas of the front. Wilderness area so any bolts would need to be hand drilled and straight trad climbing would be pretty runout with lots of death block potential. I’d assume it would be like climbing at Blackleaf and skipping all of the bolts prior to any sort of cleaning. The wall has some pretty significant ledges and in a few spots looks like a 4th class scramble to the top. Access requires about 3 days on foot to get in. Maybe a day quicker if you have horse support.  Definitely would be an adventure if that’s what your into.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Bob Marshall Wilderness"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started