COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

Modifying the Latest Posts on the Front Page

Original Post
Chris Reyes · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40

Any thoughts on adding Tagging, Filtering or even removing/relocating the latest post section of the front page?

When this was a much smaller place (probably before I joined) I could see that being a great way to pull people into conversations and allowing smaller, less visited subforums to get traffic they otherwise weren't. Now, with the amount of people that seem to post on the site we see people going into regional forums, womens forums, wherever with little to no context ready to fight. This seems to be a similar phenomena that reddit started experiencing once the user base hit a critical mass and posts started hitting the front page. Discussions become more divisive, trolling increases, and quality participation drops.

I was wondering if any thought has been given to modifying that section of the site? Even adding a small tag denoting which subforum the post belongs to, allowing the forum to remove itself from there (if the moderator doesn't want the extra traffic), or maybe only keeping general threads up there (non-regional, non-gender specific) would make sense?

Anyways, not necessarily a feature request, just curious if this has been considered at any point.

PWZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I can't imagine actually browsing the individual forums - the latest posts in all forums is the only button for me.

Patti Degner · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 71

I don't feel like the format of this website is conducive to good discussion. If made a comment early on that you want to reply to, but now the post is several pages long, it is hard to go back to that discussion. I think a reddit-style comment system would help keep discussion focused and ease the trolling problems.

PWZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I laughed at "Reddit" and "focused"

Steph Hukk · · Lee Vining, CA · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

I kind of agree but I to really only hit the latest posts in all forums button. But, why are men commenting on posts in the women's forum? Particularly on things men can't even do like be pregnant...anyways that's just one example but, I would rather see a better search feature for specific topics on the mobil app. Unless I'm clueless how to do it on my phone...

SinRopa · · parts unknown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 30
Steph Hukk wrote:But, why are men commenting on posts in the women's forum? Particularly on things men can't even do like be pregnant...
A lot of us are legit trying to be helpful.  I’ve responded to posts about trying to find petite clothing or boots (because I had to search to find these things for my wife), breast implants (because my wife had the knowledge to pass along, but no MP account), etc.  
Steph Hukk · · Lee Vining, CA · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0
SinRopa wrote: A lot of us are legit trying to be helpful.  I’ve responded to posts about trying to find petite clothing or boots (because I had to search to find these things for my wife), breast implants (because my wife had the knowledge to pass along, but no MP account), etc.  

Ok, I can understand that but I'm sure you posted my wife did this or tried this etc...that I wouldn't be bothered by. I had asked a pregnancy and climbing question and got some useless comments from men...was just my experience and an example as to why I could agree. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

The forums need to be spun off to their own site. Something like mountainforumproject.com so more space can be dedicated to this growing hotspot of cutting edge ininformation.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Modifying the Latest Posts on the Front Page"