Mountain Project Logo

Goal zero nomad 7+

Original Post
Potter Wonderland · · Planet Earth · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 2,272

Considering getting a nomad 7+ for charging of phone, speaker, etc. I'm living out of my car and am currently using my vehicle to charge my products. It's getting pretty annoying and am looking for something solar to charge. Im currently in joshua tree so getting sun isn't too much of an issue. However most of the summers will be in Yosemite/sierras where it wont be as easy. Wondering if anyone has used the nomad 7+, how you like it, or is there something else I should purchase instead! Thanks in advance!

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

I wasn't super happy with the one we took on a trip though we did have less than stellar conditions. When I'm car based I just use one of the Yeti power banks - charges off of an inverter while driving, or I plug it into a wall at a coffee shop while I'm working, and it does dozens of cell phone full charges, recharge AA batteries, etc and I'm not leaving a panel out in the sun to be stolen. Plus, your panel needs to be connected to a bank/battery anyway. Check out options other than GZ too, it's damn convenient but you are paying for the name a bit.

Awesome, thank you! Gonna check em out now!

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

Our car camping Big Agnes tent came with one and a 2x 18650 battery pack (Flip 24, I guess). Works great for that. Powers the LED tent lights for days. 

Buy a larger battery pack/bank off Amazon and a used GZ Nomad off ebay and you're only in ~$40. Not a huge investment if it doesn't work as you need, but might be just fine.

or tons of unknown brand options
https://www.dealnews.com/c875/Electronics/Phones-Cell-Phones/Cell-Phone-Accessories/Portable-Power-Banks/ 
lower quality cells and panels likely
but seeing Goal Zero's resale value doesn't say much for them, either (check ebay prices - they drop like rocks vs retail) 

Sweet thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Goal zero nomad 7+"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started