Mountain Project Logo

Flying with a stick clip?

Original Post
saign charlestein · · Tacoma WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,565

I’m heading to the new river gorge, and keep reading about notoriously high first  bolts. I’ve got the Trango stick clip. Anybody carry one on? I’m not planning on checking a bag.

Thanks 

Ned Plimpton · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 116

Personally, I've only ever checked climbing hardware and carried on my personal gear (harness and shoes which are more difficult to replace should they get lost).  I've heard of TSA having issues with quickdraws/carabiners and I could see an agent having issue with a stick clip as a possible weapon.  Dumb but personally I wouldn't chance it.  That said, worst the happens is you'll have to check the bag anyway which isn't really a problem unless you're time crunched.  The way TSA reacts to different items they aren't familiar with is highly variable. 

That said, I've seen tons of people carrying skateboards on which I've personally seen be used as a pretty devastating weapon... ???

Eugenel Espiritu · · PA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,096

If you are going during the weekend with pretty good weather, there will be about a thousand other groups to borrow a stick clip from. Additionally, many climbs have a stick laying around that another party probably used to stick clip with a taped draw. IME, being fairly local, I have not needed a stick clip because there is always a stick clip around or the first bolt isn’t really that hard to get to. I would leave at home, but the new does have high first bolts and it does take time getting used to.

Also, one mad rock trigger wire draw works pretty well for real stick clip.

Tom Thumb · · Pagosa Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 45

Long stick + quickdraw = stick clip 

Ned Plimpton wrote: Personally, I've only ever checked climbing hardware and carried on my personal gear (harness and shoes which are more difficult to replace should they get lost).  I've heard of TSA having issues with quickdraws/carabiners and I could see an agent having issue with a stick clip as a possible weapon.  Dumb but personally I wouldn't chance it.  That said, worst the happens is you'll have to check the bag anyway which isn't really a problem unless you're time crunched.  The way TSA reacts to different items they aren't familiar with is highly variable.

That said, I've seen tons of people carrying skateboards on which I've personally seen be used as a pretty devastating weapon... ???

I've carried on a rope, draws and trad gear internationally. I've heard Europe can have a problem with carabiners, but I've been through the UK, Germany, and Spain with no problem.

Eugenel Espiritu wrote: If you are going during the weekend with pretty good weather, there will be about a thousand other groups to borrow a stick clip from. Additionally, many climbs have a stick laying around that another party probably used to stick clip with a taped draw. IME, being fairly local, I have not needed a stick clip because there is always a stick clip around or the first bolt isn’t really that hard to get to. I would leave at home, but the new does have high first bolts and it does take time getting used to.

Thanks, I 'll be there midweek, but think I'll just leave it at home. I'm sure I can rig something

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
saign charlestein wrote:

I've carried on a rope, draws and trad gear internationally. I've heard Europe can have a problem with carabiners, but I've been through the UK, Germany, and Spain with no problem.

Seems that Charles de Gaul airport in Paris is the source of most of those incidents.

saign charlestein wrote:

Thanks, I 'll be there midweek, but think I'll just leave it at home. I'm sure I can rig something

The weather has been awesome = There will be people around. GL

Brian S · · Indianapolis · Joined May 2019 · Points: 15

If you climb at Muir Valley stick clips usually available to borrow under the pavilion at the main parking lot in addition to the many with people at the crag,

MarcG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 0

Just flew Toronto-Zurich-malaga, then malaga-Frankfort-toronto-calgary-lethbridge. Had draws, harness, grigri, helmets and beta stick as carry on. On the way out, they just asked what the clip stick was, but didn't inspect it or anything. On the way back, the security guy consulted his colleagues for a few minutes and then let us go through.  On my way back out to calgary, they unloaded my bag because the grigri looked suspicious in the xray.  In all: never had more than a 5-10 minute hold-up.

Rob D. · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30

Like most things with the TSA this often times comes down to each individual agent.  They have the ask-tsa feature on their website and you can print out the response to climbing gear and carry it with you (I have done this for years) but if you get the agent that doesn't want you to bring it on, it's not coming on.  No amount of digital proof will convince them otherwise so when trying to carry on anything that could possibly be turned away, I think that getting their extra early with the ability to check a bag (so carrying either an extra packable bag in your shit or just having two bags with one being a carry-on-unless-you-get-turned-away) is the best way.  

I've traveled in the US and abroad with full racks and only had problems once, but I also was willing to check a few things when I had free checked bag with the understanding that I could very well be on a climbing trip with a lost bag. 

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,265
Eugenel Espiritu wrote: If you are going during the weekend with pretty good weather, there will be about a thousand other groups to borrow a stick clip from. Additionally, many climbs have a stick laying around that another party probably used to stick clip with a taped draw. IME, being fairly local, I have not needed a stick clip because there is always a stick clip around or the first bolt isn’t really that hard to get to. I would leave at home, but the new does have high first bolts and it does take time getting used to.

This. 

Malcolm Daly · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

The Trango Compact Beta Stick will fit inside carry-on and checked luggage. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

You could also just bring a Superclip and buy a 20' painter's pole at Home Depot when you arrive.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,647

My husband has used the Trango’s beta stick as a cane when walking through security. Seems to work every time. (So far — as others have mentioned, there is always that one guy who would object...)

sDawg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

We carry our rack because it's way too expensive to replace for a single day of climbing if checked luggage gets delayed. Had a bag searched to find a nut tool once, but generally no issues (once they found/saw the nut tool, we were on our way with everything, so just a few minute delay). Same for trekking poles. As long as your bag fits within the carry on size specifications with the stick clip attached, I wouldn't worry about it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Flying with a stick clip?"