Mountain Project Logo

Edinburgh

Original Post
Adam Shin · · Huntsville, AL · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Bit of a long shot, but I'm heading to Edinburgh for two weeks in August for work and was hoping to get some climbing in. I'm assuming indoor is probably my best bet, but maybe someone out there would be willing to take me bouldering. If anyone has any info about climbing in Edinburgh, let me know!

PTR · · NEPA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 10

Some bouldering on the Salisbury Crags (permit required and the "parkies" do check).  Ratho Quarry west of town used to be kinda fun, but I've not been out there since it was covered over and turned into an indoor venue.  Not current on indoor scene.  Hawkcraig over in Aberdour is a fun little sea crag (see the MP page).  Easily accessible from Edinburgh by train over to Fife.  Great rock but you'll need a partner with a rope and a rack (and a tides chart!).  Traprain Law out in East Lothain is reasonably accessible via bus and train (but again: partner, rope, and rack needed). Overall, the climbing near right Edinburgh is not that great.  But, if you can get a lift north somewhere....

Lewis Mulholland · · Palermo, It · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

If you are into bouldering, "Alien bloc" is your best bet for indoors, or slightly further out of town is Eden rock (less good in my opinion, lower holds generally covered in shoe rubber).
There are other big indoor climbing walls for TR/lead too (Ratho, Alien rock) 

I don't think there is very much outdoor bouldering to be had around edinburgh, but if you were able to escape for a weekend and head north there is some good stuff. You can ask people on UKC if you want to find partners for such a venture. Otherwise as PTR says, you are looking at trad around edinburgh. 

PTR · · NEPA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 10

What ever happened to that first-generation indoor wall at Meadowbank?  Surely demolished by now.

Max W · · NY, NY · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Hey Adam,
I’ll also be in Edinburgh for the last two weeks for work. Headed to Chamonix after so will have rock gear with me but only a light alpine rack. Saw some top roping up on Arthur’s seat last year but would be interested in checking out some other areas. Let me know.
Max

Suzanne Dee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

I will be in Edinburgh 1-6 Aug and am flexible on bringing gear. Was hoping to get a day of climbing outdoors in but would be happy to meet up to climb indoors.
Suzanne

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Edinburgh"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started