For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

3D Printed Stick Clip

Original Post
Will Cavanagh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I hope this is the right place for this...

A coworker recently bought a 3d printer and offered to run some jobs for me.  I have never modeled anything for 3d printing before and thought a stick clip head might be a nice first project.  I modeled the part in Fusion360 based on the design of the Trango Beta Stick.  I added a female screw that fit an extendable pole I already had for changing light bulbs.  I designed the part as two pieces that are glued together to allow it to be printed without any support material.

Pretty stoked at how it turned out and wanted to brag to the internet.  I can post STLs if anyone is interested.

I also have some videos of it working, but since it works exactly the same way as the beta stick I figured they weren't really necessary to post.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,104
Will Cavanagh wrote:

I hope this is the right place for this...

A coworker recently bought a 3d printer and offered to run some jobs for me.  I have never modeled anything for 3d printing before and thought a stick clip head might be a nice first project.  I modeled the part in Fusion360 based on the design of the Trango Beta Stick.  I added a female screw that fit an extendable pole I already had for changing light bulbs.  I designed the part as two pieces that are glued together to allow it to be printed without any support material.

Pretty stoked at how it turned out and wanted to brag to the internet.  I can post STLs if anyone is interested.

I also have some videos of it working, but since it works exactly the same way as the beta stick I figured they weren't really necessary to post.

Cool project, I'm sure I could look it up, but is there anyway to unclip a draw, or clip a rope into an already hanging draw with this stickclip?  Just looking at it I can't think of how you would do either of those tasks.

Only, Locals · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160

TOo bad you can't print some trad gear amirite folks?!?!

Ken Noyce wrote:

Cool project, I'm sure I could look it up, but is there anyway to unclip a draw, or clip a rope into an already hanging draw with this stickclip?  Just looking at it I can't think of how you would do either of those tasks.

Yeah, using the velcro strap (only shown in one of the pictures) you can "rodeo clip" a prehung draw (starts at 3:08).

https://youtu.be/mQ0B9gczJ_c?t=3m8s

I don't think it can be used to take down a draw that's already up.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Locals Only wrote:

What is this "trad gear" you speak of?

Locals Only wrote:

I'm actually printing a cam next!  I'll send it to you to test whip on if you want.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,113
Will Cavanagh wrote:

I'm actually printing a cam next!  I'll send it to you to test whip on if you want.

That's not the way this works. You offer to fight Burchy. The loser whips.

Enough of this internet chest bumpin', let's get busy.

(Cool stick, btw.)

Only, Locals · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,160
Jason Todd wrote:

That's not the way this works. You offer to fight Burchy. The loser whips.

Enough of this internet chest bumpin', let's get busy.

(Cool stick, btw.)

Cracking up.  You guys rule.

That being said, I'll whip the hell outta this plastic cam!!!1!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "3D Printed Stick Clip"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion