Mountain Project Logo

Jacket advice

Original Post
Tom Nolder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hi. Tom here. My first post. Just found this forum. I am going to buy my first cold weather down parka/ jacket. Seriously looking at Montane's Deep cold jacket. This seems to tick the boxes as features go... Any first hand knowledge on this jacket from any of you here at mountain project.. Any opinions as to other recommendations for a great cold weather jacket/parka??? I do not climb. but winter camping in any weather is the game for me. Hammock camping, hiking... A main consideration for this jacket is pit zips,which is not found on many jackets I have looked at.Thanks in advance for your responses.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

There's no need for pit zips in a down parka, it's made to be worn at rest and cut the wind. 

Montane makes a fine jacket, haven't used that particular one. 

If you want a massive parka like that, Eddie Bauer Peak XV seems to always be on sale. It's a bargain.

Either of those might be a bit much honestly but it's up to you if you run on the cold side and go out no matter what the conditions. 

jdejace wrote:

There's no need for pit zips in a down parka, it's made to be worn at rest and cut the wind. 

Montane makes a fine jacket, haven't used that particular one. 

If you want a massive parka like that, Eddie Bauer Peak XV seems to always be on sale. It's a bargain.

Either of those might be a bit much honestly but it's up to you if you run on the cold side and go out no matter what the conditions. 

Yes,this would be 90% for end of day, rests, outdoor lounging, minimum heavy activity. But,we all seem to not just relax and chillax,but always find something that needs done in camp... But I was wondering about the fee times with a pack or pull in exertion. Also the durability of the outer shell. Thank you for your responces jdejace...

Graham Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

Then take it off... I concur with Jace, and manufacturers of warm gear - no pitzips.  Most of these lightweight fabrics are far more durable than you might imagine. Also, you're not going to be wearing it to grovel up a chimney or something in it. 

Nick B · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 61

Pit zips would be a downright odd feature in a belay jacket.  If your sweating in one then you should take it off. Your other layers should be keeping you arm on the move.

Tapawingo Markey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Active insulation and belay parkas are two different pieces and serve different purposes. Pit zips on a parka as said before doesn’t make sense since these are worn either at times of rest or activities in extremely cold temperatures in which venting could potentially be fatal. Active insulation pieces such at the Patagonia Nano Air, Arcteryx Atom LT, OR Ascendant are meant to be worn while moving. Although I still overheat unless we’re talking less than 15-20F. 

Thank you for your reply... I got to read a very detailed blog post relative to layering, and the breakdown of what is a smart way to approach layering... Creating a so-called micro climate around you to slow down "mother nature's" constant onslaught of temperature extremes from our very limited comfort range of temps that the human body needs to survive in... There sure is a lot of hype, misconception, and ignorance, ,,, I am definately ignorant, but am trying to learn and understand what is necessary gear to be comfotable in all or most weather conditions,,,, But I believe I am now on the right track, and understanding that there is a lot of sales hype to gear, such as soft shells for instance, but most soft shells on the market are not appropriately applied to the task... Any way, thanks for your reply and be safe out there.. Best wishes..Tom.

Tapawingo Markey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Reading helps, experimenting with different systems helps more, and I’m sure you know what works for one climate may not work for the next. 

Curious, did you find any information saying pitzips on a cold weather parka being useful?

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Reading helps, experimenting with different systems helps more, and I’m sure you know what works for one climate may not work for the next. 

Curious, did you find any information saying pitzips on a cold weather parka being useful?

No. In fact, just as you posted. As I said, my ignorance and lack of experience, and being led by salesmanship hype, led me to at first believe I needed such a feature. The on going lessons and quest for knowledge is opening my eyes, and allowing for a more rational and understood reasoning for this jacket, as well as other components of layering and gear..Any guidance or opinion is welcome...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Jacket advice"