Partner Wanted: Saturday 1/21 - Pinnacles - "Cuidado!" 5.10+

Original Post
Brent Kelly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 5

Bay area climber here.

I was out at pinnacles last weekend for the first time, and got pretty psyched on the look of this 5 pitch line of 5.10.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/cuidado/105735413

Mostly 5.10 climbing, bolted, supposedly decent rock quality, and a super aesthetic arete line. Should be a blast!

I'm pretty gung-ho about the idea of going back and climbing it this saturday, and am looking for a partner.

PM me if interested!

-Brent

Amart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Mp says the route is closed because of rockfall

Geordon B · · San Jose, Ca · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 25

The route is sometimes closed due to bird nesting but right now all of Machete is open. It is not advised to climb this route on the weekends (or other busy days) due to the route being right over the main trail into the caves. The term “decent rock quality” at the Pinnacles means only every fifth hold will break off, not every other. Very loose climbing in general. Also, I think it's going to rain this weekend.

I’m always looking for partners and climb at the Pinnacles often. Send me a PM if you’d like to climb

Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I have climbed this route (it's not officially closed).

I would advise against doing it on a weekend. Literally anything you pull off the route at any point will land right on a popular trail. Pitches 2, 4, an 5 are all loose and you stand a pretty good chance of knocking crap off especially on 4 and 5. We knocked a large chunk of mud off p4 iirc.

P3 (the one in that photo) is money! The rest of the pitches are forgettable, but it's still a Pinns classic. Also yeah this will probably be a waterfall this weekend.

Brent Kelly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 5

Hmmm didn't realize the rockfall and position over the caves was that problematic. Bummer, since weekends are generally my only options for Pinns trips.

Glad to hear the route isn't closed, though! Something about this line just seems compelling. Might have to play hooky and get on this route some other day when the weather is a more ideal.

Thanks for the pointers, y'all!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply