Mountain Project Logo

CT's Roll-n-Lock for TR solo

Original Post
Jordan Moore · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60

Has anyone used this device along with a mini trax to top rope solo. I looks like it would slide smoother than the Petzl Croll and it's super light. Thouhts?
jacob m s · · Provo, Utah · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 135

I use it, and wish I had gone with the micro trax instead. I don't like the way it twists, I don't think its a problem, but I don't trust it blindly, i'm always looking down at it. But it works.

I use this on my chest harness and a grigri for the secondary device, with back up knots. I once had the grigri and roll-n-lock prevent each other from locking, I redesigned my chest harness and have not had a problem sense. So just give yourself plenty of space between this and your other device.

Why the gri-gri? You usually have to manual feed rope through it. I figured this and a micro-trax would be smooth. But you're thinking 2 micro trax is best?

Because I already have the grigri and don't have money for another device right now. You can weight the grigri and it will self feed, but then you have a lot of weight hanging on your harness through the grigri. If you have the micro-trax then the roll-n-lock might be a nice device to pair with it as it uses a different method to catch the rope. The device does have a couple of inches of travel before it will lock, but because it doesn't have teeth its easy on your rope.

A lot of people use an ascender with a micro-trax. As long as you have plenty of clearance between the roll-n-lock and micro-trax they should be fine. I'm also a strong proponent of trying knots beneath your devices, Petzl tested it and a failed device will catch on a knot. Your device will be destroyed but it will keep you from falling.

Thanks for tips!

Matt..C · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20

Has anyone had success using a CAMP Lift?

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

Like Tim, I use the Microcender and RollNLock. A great combination, however, I use the RollNLock on top and trail the Microcender on a 3" dogbone. Tried the Microtrax and RopemanII and didn't like all those teeth. Also, I think it'd be a pretty freak occurance for the RollNLock to pop into pulley mode; I can see that it could happen, but not likely.

I can't see the roll-n-lock manage to engage in the pully only mode, mine is so stiff and such a long travel.

Jeffrey Camilleri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0

Tested mine (Roll n Lock) actually 2 on a slightly overhanging wall (bolted) and the system worked great.
Setup i used (Simpler, Smoother ,Safer) after trying many combinations..

Roll n Lock A (On Oval Carabina (Stiffly Ductaped approx 1/4 way (To avoid crossloading) attached to belay loop of harness and to an elastic strap to the neck from a thin chord threaded from the big Hole of the RNL)To keep it away from the backup device below, close to chest (to avoid shockloading) and possibly help rope run smoother..

Roll n Lock B (One side on oval Metal Carabina(Also Ductaped) and other side an oval carabina joined by an extender/quickdraw sling.The heavier side (RNL on Metal carabina is attached to rope below dragging around 30cm below as the backup

Both RNL's threaded with a thin chord from the Black Cam for easier release when needed.

Bottom weight (Full water bottle and Approach Shoes) clipped on the rope end passing from and clipped into the second bolt's extender..(Keeping rope trailing close to wall as possible).

A knot is tied on rope at a considerable height from the ground (3rd backup)

Thick rope protector always  used wherever rope rubs on any bulging features in rock above

The System runs smooth while climbing even if need to go slightly sideways

To work crux sections over and over again descending the rope for a few meters is required.For this a jumar on etiers always tied to harness (Daisychain) can be used to load on bodyweight and release the RnL one at a time.For this better tie another knot on rope below close

Isaac Roter · · Toyota, Sienna · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 266

Also use 2 Roll n Locks for TR solo and love them. Feed super smooth, have caught without issue, and pretty easy to set up/remove (correctly orienting is a little tricky at times but if you're paying attention you'll notice very quickly lol)

Cole Lawrence · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2017 · Points: 16

I use one mini or microtrax with a shoulder sling to keep it high as I climb. Beneath the micro i put a 5/16th quicklink on my belay loop and put the rope through it. The link is small enough to jam on a knot should the plates of the microtrax be destroyed in a fall. Tie knots every 15 feet below. Use a semistatic rope. Works really well. The link will keep the micro from twisting. 

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246

Trango vergo as main device. Self feeding with a little weight, no faff to transfer to rap. Back up with whichever device you like. 

jonfoster · · Flagstaff · Joined May 2007 · Points: 35
  1. I normally don't post on these types of forums but feel compelled to respond to this thread after i watched this device fail in a tr solo scenario. I saw a climber fall several times with the device catching properly. Then when he was approx 70feet up, he fell and the device failed. He had no backup and decked. Luckily, he didn't die, but he was really fucked up. These devices can be twisted and not catch under certain circumstances. After witnessing tha6, i would never use one for tr solo. Stay safe and use a backup at the very least.
Ian Machen · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35
Matt..C wrote: Has anyone had success using a CAMP Lift?

Matt,

I've been using a CAMP Lift along with a Microtrax as my TR solo set up for almost two years now. No problems with either. Both catch my falls and release easily when I want them to.
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
jonfoster wrote:
  1. I normally don't post on these types of forums but feel compelled to respond to this thread after i watched this device fail in a tr solo scenario. I saw a climber fall several times with the device catching properly. Then when he was approx 70feet up, he fell and the device failed. He had no backup and decked. Luckily, he didn't die, but he was really fucked up. These devices can be twisted and not catch under certain circumstances. After witnessing tha6, i would never use one for tr solo. Stay safe and use a backup at the very least.

Reports of these types of incidents or potential failure modes exist for pretty much every TR solo device. It seems like every device has some flukey, low-probability scenario that causes it to not catch. Thats why there are a number of reports like this: TR solo with one device, device doesn't catch, person decks. But these reports basically never happen for people using 2 devices. A backup should be used with any TR solo device, including but not limited to the Roll n Lock.

The Roll n Lock is a good device, and works well as an inexpensive backup device to trail below a Lift or Microtraxion.
Ben Collett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,560

I use a roll-n-lock with a microtraxion as a back up. It seems to work well. The rationale behind using the microtraxion as the backup is that it seems better to have the backup be the toothed device, both for the purpose of minimizing rope damafge and also for efficacy of the backup device. I ended up buying one of those weird divided belay biners to reduce the likelihood of significant twisting of the device.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292
Garth N · · Arizona · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I'm a canyoneering guy and was reading this for information on the roll-n-lock.  Several of you mention your devices twisting you can correct this by adding a quick link to your bely loop.  I do this all the time so that my descender is always oriented correctly. If your wondering I do not use ATC's

Dean Hart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
Max R wrote: Dangerous setup - both devices can contact each other! Unequal length attachments required . . .
Dean Hart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
Garth N wrote: I'm a canyoneering guy and was reading this for information on the roll-n-lock.  Several of you mention your devices twisting you can correct this by adding a quick link to your bely loop.  I do this all the time so that my descender is always oriented correctly. If your wondering I do not use ATC's

Or if you're lucky and it fits - a marine shackle

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812
Ben Collett wrote: I use a roll-n-lock with a microtraxion as a back up. It seems to work well. The rationale behind using the microtraxion as the backup is that it seems better to have the backup be the toothed device, both for the purpose of minimizing rope damafge and also for efficacy of the backup device. I ended up buying one of those weird divided belay biners to reduce the likelihood of significant twisting of the device.

Same here (except I have not added the divided belay biner). Agree with reasoning for having the micro traction as the backup.

I did get the sense that the rollnlock tended to not engage if the rope’s entry and exit from it were not well aligned (e.g., on low angle slab).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "CT's Roll-n-Lock for TR solo"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started