Trango Vergo

Cameron Fisher-Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

For reference:  I sent my Vergo in on 4/19, they received it on 4/24 and shipped my new device today, 7/11.

Hope this helps anyone else get an idea of when theirs will be shipped!

David Hous · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 175

Got my replacement Vergo today,  they added some tabs to the handle and maybe changed the casting as well? Can't wait to try it out.

David Hous wrote:

Got my replacement Vergo today,  they added some tabs to the handle and maybe changed the casting as well? Can't wait to try it out.

Looks like it has more of a matte finish now and no "Thumb Here" indicator.  Mine should be getting here Friday!

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128

So what did they actually do to prevent the handle from popping up and over the sideplate?

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0
20 kN wrote:

So what did they actually do to prevent the handle from popping up and over the sideplate?

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112823686/trango-vergo-recall?page=3

Second post has pics that show it

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
Khoi wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112823686/trango-vergo-recall?page=3

Second post has pics that show it

Talk about expensive. They are recalling several thousand units just to add a small tab on the side made of plastic which probably adds little to nothing to the total manufacturing cost. That sucks.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,495
20 kN wrote:

Talk about expensive. They are recalling several thousand units just to add a small tab on the side made of plastic which probably adds little to nothing to the total manufacturing cost. That sucks.

Eh, Petzl did essentially the same thing with the GriGri2. The only difference is I'm not sure Trango will make enough from the Vergo to pay for this recall anytime soon.

cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 68
John Wilder wrote:

Eh, Petzl did essentially the same thing with the GriGri2. The only difference is I'm not sure Trango will make enough from the Vergo to pay for this recall anytime soon.

I really hope you are wrong about the Vergo not selling enough to pay for the recall.  The Vergo is a fabulous device, and the recall was a minor one.  Maybe I should buy 2, just in case Trango decides to wash their hands of it at some point.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 763
John Wilder wrote:

I've seen bunches of them around.  A lot of people I know have gone from the Gri2 to the Vergo.  I hope they're able to work it out.

Jake Jones wrote:

I've seen bunches of them around.  A lot of people I know have gone from the Gri2 to the Vergo.  I hope they're able to work it out.

I've only seen one at my gym so far... Hope there's more soon!

cyclestupor wrote:

I really hope you are wrong about the Vergo not selling enough to pay for the recall.  The Vergo is a fabulous device, and the recall was a minor one.  Maybe I should buy 2, just in case Trango decides to wash their hands of it at some point.

Well, Trango sells more things than the Vergo- and I suspect they'll rely on those sales as well to pay for the recall in the immediate future. I doubt they have any plans to bail on the Vergo- they've got way too much invested in it at this point. 

The GriGri2 outweighs the Vergo in market share by what is probably a gigantic number, which would also have meant a higher cost to do the recall. That said, it didnt affect the sales at all- I cant remember the last time I saw an original Grigri for climbing- most everyone has made the switch.

Momoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 0
John Wilder wrote:

Well, Trango sells more things than the Vergo- and I suspect they'll rely on those sales as well to pay for the recall in the immediate future. I doubt they have any plans to bail on the Vergo- they've got way too much invested in it at this point. 

The GriGri2 outweighs the Vergo in market share by what is probably a gigantic number, which would also have meant a higher cost to do the recall. That said, it didnt affect the sales at all- I cant remember the last time I saw an original Grigri for climbing- most everyone has made the switch.

I still rock the OG Gri Gri ;)

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
20 kN wrote:

I think the reworked the cap on the part that connects the front plate with the rear piece. I had heard of people buying vergos only to have those caps break, and I think movement in the cap was one of the reasons they were getting the issues they recalled for. So my guess is they redesigned the connection and cap, and then also added the tab.

Still, it's expensive to recall anything, but it's the right thing to do when it could potentially result in injury or death. 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 200
John Wilder wrote:

I cant remember the last time I saw an original Grigri for climbing- most everyone has made the switch.

Don't bigwall much do you?

kevin deweese wrote:

Don't bigwall much do you?

I said climbing, not aiding. I still rock my og grigri for aiding, bolting, rope soloing, etc. 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 200
John Wilder wrote:

I said climbing, not aiding. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply