Trango Vergo


Cameron Fisher-Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

For reference:  I sent my Vergo in on 4/19, they received it on 4/24 and shipped my new device today, 7/11.

Hope this helps anyone else get an idea of when theirs will be shipped!

David Hous · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 195

Got my replacement Vergo today,  they added some tabs to the handle and maybe changed the casting as well? Can't wait to try it out.

Cameron Fisher-Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
David Hous wrote:

Got my replacement Vergo today,  they added some tabs to the handle and maybe changed the casting as well? Can't wait to try it out.

Looks like it has more of a matte finish now and no "Thumb Here" indicator.  Mine should be getting here Friday!

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,352

So what did they actually do to prevent the handle from popping up and over the sideplate?

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
20 kN wrote:

So what did they actually do to prevent the handle from popping up and over the sideplate?

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112823686/trango-vergo-recall?page=3

Second post has pics that show it

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,352
Khoi wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112823686/trango-vergo-recall?page=3

Second post has pics that show it

Talk about expensive. They are recalling several thousand units just to add a small tab on the side made of plastic which probably adds little to nothing to the total manufacturing cost. That sucks.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
20 kN wrote:

Talk about expensive. They are recalling several thousand units just to add a small tab on the side made of plastic which probably adds little to nothing to the total manufacturing cost. That sucks.

Eh, Petzl did essentially the same thing with the GriGri2. The only difference is I'm not sure Trango will make enough from the Vergo to pay for this recall anytime soon.

cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 93
John Wilder wrote:

Eh, Petzl did essentially the same thing with the GriGri2. The only difference is I'm not sure Trango will make enough from the Vergo to pay for this recall anytime soon.

I really hope you are wrong about the Vergo not selling enough to pay for the recall.  The Vergo is a fabulous device, and the recall was a minor one.  Maybe I should buy 2, just in case Trango decides to wash their hands of it at some point.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,430
John Wilder wrote:

Eh, Petzl did essentially the same thing with the GriGri2. The only difference is I'm not sure Trango will make enough from the Vergo to pay for this recall anytime soon.

I've seen bunches of them around.  A lot of people I know have gone from the Gri2 to the Vergo.  I hope they're able to work it out.

Cameron Fisher-Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Jake Jones wrote:

I've seen bunches of them around.  A lot of people I know have gone from the Gri2 to the Vergo.  I hope they're able to work it out.

I've only seen one at my gym so far... Hope there's more soon!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
cyclestupor wrote:

I really hope you are wrong about the Vergo not selling enough to pay for the recall.  The Vergo is a fabulous device, and the recall was a minor one.  Maybe I should buy 2, just in case Trango decides to wash their hands of it at some point.

Well, Trango sells more things than the Vergo- and I suspect they'll rely on those sales as well to pay for the recall in the immediate future. I doubt they have any plans to bail on the Vergo- they've got way too much invested in it at this point. 

The GriGri2 outweighs the Vergo in market share by what is probably a gigantic number, which would also have meant a higher cost to do the recall. That said, it didnt affect the sales at all- I cant remember the last time I saw an original Grigri for climbing- most everyone has made the switch.

La Momoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60
John Wilder wrote:

Well, Trango sells more things than the Vergo- and I suspect they'll rely on those sales as well to pay for the recall in the immediate future. I doubt they have any plans to bail on the Vergo- they've got way too much invested in it at this point. 

The GriGri2 outweighs the Vergo in market share by what is probably a gigantic number, which would also have meant a higher cost to do the recall. That said, it didnt affect the sales at all- I cant remember the last time I saw an original Grigri for climbing- most everyone has made the switch.

I still rock the OG Gri Gri ;)

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 35
20 kN wrote:

Talk about expensive. They are recalling several thousand units just to add a small tab on the side made of plastic which probably adds little to nothing to the total manufacturing cost. That sucks.

I think the reworked the cap on the part that connects the front plate with the rear piece. I had heard of people buying vergos only to have those caps break, and I think movement in the cap was one of the reasons they were getting the issues they recalled for. So my guess is they redesigned the connection and cap, and then also added the tab.

Still, it's expensive to recall anything, but it's the right thing to do when it could potentially result in injury or death. 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350
John Wilder wrote:

I cant remember the last time I saw an original Grigri for climbing- most everyone has made the switch.

 

Don't bigwall much do you?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
kevin deweese wrote:

Don't bigwall much do you?

I said climbing, not aiding. I still rock my og grigri for aiding, bolting, rope soloing, etc. 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350
John Wilder wrote:

I said climbing, not aiding. 

  

Cameron Fisher-Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Anyone else just get this?

Dear Valued Vergo Customers: 

 

Thank you for participating in the Vergo recall process. The feedback from the climbing community has been overwhelmingly positive and we value your support and trust in our products.

 

Trango knows how inconvenient is for consumers to be without their VERGO belay devices during the peak climbing season, and we apologize. 

 

Trango has fixed the issue that triggered the recall and worked 24/7 to redesign the handle and sent replacement units back to you in July. 

 

Unfortunately, Trango has just become aware that during the assembly process several of the rivets attaching the handle to the replacement units were not fully pressed, which could result in the handle detaching.  If this occurs the braking mechanism remains fully functional but lowering the climber becomes more difficult.  As a result, all Vergo replacement units need to be returned to Trango immediately. 

 

This issue requires Trango to receive and inspect the replacement unit that we sent you.   We will resolve this issue and send out replacement units in the next few months. Please understand that we are doing all we can to get you your replacement Vergo as quickly as possible.

 

Trango realizes that this is disappointing and inconvenient for you, our Vergo customers.  To minimize the inconvenience, a replacement or refund is available upon your return of the replacement Vergo, please include a note if a refund is desired.  

 

The return process for the replacement units remains the same: Please visit Trango website Vergo Return, and return your replacement unit as soon as possible.

 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

 

The Trango Team

Here we go again...

Kevin DeWeese 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Received this today:

Dear Valued Vergo Customers: 

 

Thank you for participating in the Vergo recall process. The feedback from the climbing community has been overwhelmingly positive and we value your support and trust in our products.

 

Trango knows how inconvenient is for consumers to be without their VERGO belay devices during the peak climbing season, and we apologize. 

 

Trango has fixed the issue that triggered the recall and worked 24/7 to redesign the handle and sent replacement units back to you in July. 

 

Unfortunately, Trango has just become aware that during the assembly process several of the rivets attaching the handle to the replacement units were not fully pressed, which could result in the handle detaching.  If this occurs the braking mechanism remains fully functional but lowering the climber becomes more difficult.  As a result, all Vergo replacement units need to be returned to Trango immediately. 

 

This issue requires Trango to receive and inspect the replacement unit that we sent you.   We will resolve this issue and send out replacement units in the next few months. Please understand that we are doing all we can to get you your replacement Vergo as quickly as possible.

 

Trango realizes that this is disappointing and inconvenient for you, our Vergo customers.  To minimize the inconvenience, a replacement or refund is available upon your return of the replacement Vergo, please include a note if a refund is desired.  

 

The return process for the replacement units remains the same: Please visit Trango website Vergo Return, and return your replacement unit as soon as possible.

 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

 

The Trango Team

La Momoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60

Is it this one? Seems like a self inspection would do the trick unless it really is ALL. I can't remember what the last ones looked like.

Cameron Fisher-Gomez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Momoface wrote:

Is it this one? Seems like a self inspection would do the trick unless it really is ALL. I can't remember what the last ones looked like.

It looked the same as they left that part alone.  I tried prying my handle off with no luck.  Seems way stronger than the last one.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply