Mountain Project Logo

What's the Best Climber's Dog ?

D F · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 406

Here's a cautionary note. My girlfriend's dog is very chill, very quiet and generally submissive. I can't remember the last time I saw her set paw on a rope or rope bag (including hours spent at crags crowded with dogs and people). However, there have been a couple occasions when the dog acted aggressive toward a random person while Mandi was climbing. Mandi was doing a lot of grunting and probably sounded distressed to Soleille, who didn't know what else to do but guard the area. Unfortunately, I was tied up belaying and couldn't do much about the situation.

Wade Frank · · Littleton, CO · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145

I ended up with a Border Collie puppy when a friend of mine passed away. I was on the fence of trying to adopt him out or keep him and I am so happy that I decided to keep him. I take him hiking, fly fishing, mtn biking, and back country skiing and he is the perfect dog for all of that. Border Collies require a lot of mental and physical exercise but if you are willing to give them what they need you would be hard pressed to find a better dog (IMO). Another great breed would be an Australian Shepard, but like the Border Collie they need a lot of attention! I don't take my dog climbing with me because I don't feel comfortable when I have to leave him behind, but that's just me. Good luck with your search and I would highly recommend adopting if you can, there are so many great dogs that are given up when the owners realize the actual needs of a dog!!! Also keep in mind that the type of dog you are looking for will not be happy with just a daily walk, they will need much more than that regardless of weather or how tired you are!!!

Bernadette Regan · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 126

Leave Your Dog At Home

Your canine companion may be a model of good
behavior, but even a tied up dog can wreak havoc on
plant life or soil at the crag. Dog’s are predators and
their mere presence stresses native animals. The
native plants and animals have priority over domesticated
pets and are protected on public lands. Dog waste
poses the same disposal problems of human waste.

Climbing Mag Tech Tip

WhitneyB · · Golden, Co · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 25

Cool dog Larry! I've got a heeler too.

Step hen · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 90

+1 on the border collie recommendation because they are smart so you can teach them to behave at the crag (avoiding the rope and your belay area, etc.) and they are agile scramblers. Their long hair also keeps them warm on cold days cragging or ice climbing. I haven't taken mine backcountry skiing, but I know other owners who say they are also good for that.

On the flip side, they do require a great deal of mental and physical exercise as a previous post noted. Mine also chases cars, so I have to tie her up at roadside spots. In other words, they are super high-maintenance, but overall a pretty cool pooch.

Step hen · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 90
Dustin B wrote: I once had to order him down off the rock when he showed up at the P2 belay on a moderate slab route.
That also has happened with my border a couple times. They sure do enjoy climbing.
Keith H. North · · Englewood, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 90

Please respect your other climbers leave your dog at home.

Fine if you are in rifle and one person will always be on the ground but if you can't watch the dog at all times it has no place at the crag.

I commonly end up holding random peoples dogs back so that others can pass in comfort, without being jumped on. I do not like doing this.

Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

Tying your dog up at the bottom of a multi-pitch climb is just wrong. You may come back to find the mutt became a snack for a pack of coyotes, a bear, mountain lion. Just saying. I love dogs and have had many and have taken them up 14teeners, a bit of canyoneering (they were Labs), hiking, but only once did I tie them down to do a multi-pitch climb, and felt really bad about it. If it is one pitch, you can see your fuzzy-buddy and what he/she is doing. Only caveat...keep your dog off my gear and its nose out of my pack.

Patrick Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10
The Larry wrote:Some dogs make good crag dogs, some dogs don't.
Just wondering, doesn't it get confusing naming your dog "slack"? I know I've found myself yelling that at the crag on several occasions...
BackCountry Sortor · · Ogden, UT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 400

German Wire-haired Pointer/Mountain Cur mix. Good luck finding one!

Alex Washburne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 65
Captain Fastrousers wrote:BTW Alex... Does he/she know what to do when she hears 'rock!' or 'below!'? And chained like that at the base of the crag, would he/she be able to get out of the way?
It's a very good point. Always smart to tie the dogs up someplace as safe as possible from rockfall (and other objective hazards such as heat/cold).

Sorry for being vague here - "hater" is a new-age way of referring to a "disser", which is a new-age way of referring to people who are unconditional naysayers when there are worthwhile conditions to be considered that nullify their "nay". These "haters" are people who say dogs should stay at home without any knowledge of the crags Kati and others go to. In many places, dogs are welcome to tag along and many places aren't overrun with dogs. As I said, there are times when the dog should be left at home, and the decision to do this should be based not only on legal grounds, but on fully considering the probability of other hassles or serious problems (injury or death to dog, emotional injury to fellow climbers - a probability which increases with the density of climbers at a crag, etc.) and weighing that with the owner's acceptable level of hassle/risk.

Saying someone should leave the dog at home and putting a period at the end will not dissuade a dog lover from getting a dog or taking it to the crag, but kindly re-emphasizing the proper thought process a dog-owner should go through before deciding to bring the dog to the crag may foster responsible ownership.
Kati T. · · Western Oregon · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 0

Wow! Thanks for all of the input so far. I can see that there are definitely some strong opinions out there about dogs at the crag. I really appreciate all of the respectful insight and reasoning, as you have given us a lot to think about. I love all the pictures, breed suggestions and encouragement to rescue a dog. And to "The Larry" -- Slack rocks!!!

Amos Patrick · · Estes Park · Joined Dec 2001 · Points: 337

This mountainproject.com/v/roads… made me think about this conversation. One of the reasons cited for closing the area was dogs. How many people actually think their dog is the problem?

wankel7 · · Indiana · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10

If your are at busy crag on a weekend...the best dog is the one you left at home. I love to mountain bike to...but I dont ride it at the base of the crag. So I leave the bike at home.

bergbryce · · California · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 145

a lazy dog that won't mind you are out climbing all day.
leave it at home.

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

"Pictures encouraged."

steve edwards · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2004 · Points: 645

Dogs limit what you can do but are totally worth it. Just train them well.

My vote for best crag dog ever.

Travels with Tuco

Ed Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 285

The best dog is a Mexican street dog.

JF1 · · Idaho · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 400

Perhaps try fostering various dogs to find the right one for you. Many shelters and organizations use outside foster folks to help train their dogs. My girlfriend and myself have foster quite a few and it is a great way to help dogs find homes, as well as helping you find the perfect dog. My girlfriend fostered a bunch of dogs before finding a sweet, obedient and quiet dog.
Best of luck,
Adam

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What's the Best Climber's Dog ? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started