Mountain Project Logo

Does your gym allow you to take your shirt off?

Ken Cangi · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 620
rmsusa wrote: Conclusion jumping?
Was that curve a little steep for you? I recall your having been plagued with that same ailment, over at rc.com
Shawn Mitchell · · Broomfield · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 250
Ken Cangi wrote: Oh contraire mon fraire. An agent provocateur is exactly what this thread needs.
Are you the frog bastard that chipped Little Devil?!
Shawn Mitchell wrote: Are you the frog bastard that chipped Little Devil?!
ribbit. I mean....peut-être.
Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

This thread won't go as long as the 'Douchebag' thread. A pool on how many pages anyone? Shirts or no shirts, who cares. Honed bodies are nice, and since 30% of Americans are obese, I say show some more honed skin, male or female. There is nothing wrong with an attractive body, and frankly, I don't care why they might be shirtless. Ladies, you are being discriminated against. AZ on the Rocks in Scottsdale has shirtless nights on member only evenings. Too bad it isn't offered to the gals, or none of them have taken to doing so. Perhaps due to decorum.

Ken, your edit beat me to it. I was about to ask if that shouldn't be "ribbeaux"?

William, would your probation officer approve your participating in this thread?

Shawn Mitchell wrote:Ken, your edit beat me to it. I was about to ask if that shouldn't be "ribbeaux"? William, would your probation officer approve your participating in this thread?
Yes, I have been cleared due to 'good behavior' whatever that may be. Please call me Bill ( it's my moniker in the slammer!). Damn it, my freakin' ankle monitor just fell off. Here's my probation officer now!

Hey Bob:

Thanks for the Fruita Mountain Bike guide you wrote. Heading up there this Saturday for 6 days. Any advice? How's the John c Robb State park by the river? Any advice is appreciated.

Like, do they allow bikers to ride with their shirt off? Come on people, stay relevant!

Bob D'Antonio wrote: Peter...the mullet is gone but not the tank top. It's like bellbottoms pants...wait long enough and they come back into style. Wayne...I know your the tank-top kind of guy...so is Hank!
Contratulations, Bob, for finally addressing your denial. Doesn't admitting that you sported a mullet for three decades feel cathartic? Be proud of it. REPRESENT THE MULLET!!! But lose that nasty tank top.
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Ha ha! Ok, the "starving children" comment was meant to imply that shirtless dudes is not a big deal in comparison to starving children but yes, Shawn, you're right NOTHING would matter and that's the point. It is a ridiculous argument on purpose! Its called "exaggerating for effect". Americans tend to be overly concerned about tons of meaningless crap and shirtless people is one of them. Do you ever see any euros getting worked up about top-less beaches? I still don't understand why someone would be offended.
And, yes, the shirt Eric dropped probably didn't really make the difference, THAT'S THE JOKE!

Nick Rhoads wrote:Ha ha! Ok, the "starving children" comment was meant to imply that shirtless dudes is not a big deal in comparison to starving children but yes, Shawn, you're right NOTHING would matter and that's the point. It is a ridiculous argument on purpose! Its called "exaggerating for effect". Americans tend to be overly concerned about tons of meaningless crap and shirtless people is one of them. Do you ever see any euros getting worked up about top-less beaches? I still don't understand why someone would be offended. And, yes, the shirt Eric dropped probably didn't really make the difference, THAT'S THE JOKE!
Nick, I like to laugh at a funny line as well as the next person, but referring to a different, bigger concern doesn't help sort out which little things are worth caring about. Some posters do care about no shirts (I'm with Kateri and Tbrain: fit people, be free! fat people, fry!). You might have serious or funny arguments to rebut them, but waving the hunger flag doesn't make the posters' concerns any less reasonable.

I'm not at all offended by your rhetorical device, it just doesn't work...at all.

If I cut in front of you in the theater ticket line and you object, it isn't funny, ironic, or subtly informative for me to retort: "Children are starving, dude! Chill, I'm exaggerating for effect!" Same thing here. Find a better or funnier reason to tell the body-coverers that they're wrong.

So easy to get you Americans, ummmmmm what is the expresson? "All worked up!"

Yeah, and hot and bothered. Guess I'll take my shirt off :)

So really, is it usual that climbing gyms make people keep their shirt on? What are your experiences? Have you ever gone to a different gym, got a little hot, whipped it off and BAM! Some dude is in you face, "Um, sir we have a rule in favor of shirts."

Shawn Mitchell wrote:Yeah, and hot and bothered. Guess I'll take my shirt off :)
Shawn:

I'm in agreement with you and some others. Fatties hide; honed ones flaunt. So if you are honed, why then, take that shirt off if you'd be more comfortable. As far as shirtless biking, well road rash is bad enough when I've got a shirt of some kind on. In AZ when we fall mountain biking, it's rather like a cheese grater effect. So for biking, I'll stick to a jersey to buffer the tender skin. Climbing could go either way.
John Langston wrote:I can take my shirt off and you can't say anything. My reasoning is that sans shirt, I look pretty much like a starving child. With my shirt off, I'm the most important issue in the world. Who wants to spot me?
That's funny. We're all here for you man. Go for it. Except don't do it, because I don't care what you think or say or anything about you at all...*UNTIL* I see your frail frame. So shut up. You don't matter. NOTHING matters.
TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605
  • ******************Musical Intermission*****************

Nothing really matters
Anyone can seeeeeeeeeee
Nothing really matters
Nothing really matters tooo_oooooooo meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Christopher Jones · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 910

I only climb shirtless with a beanie on. That's how the pros do it and I dream of climbing like a pro.

Jonas Salk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 10

EASTON, Md. - For only the third time in five years, Easton police have ticketed someone for going topless in public. Sean Cephus, 18, was cited June 4 when police say he was spotted without a shirt on South Street near Hanson Street. He was also cited for failing to obey a lawful order to stop for police.

A town ordinance adopted in 1974 forbids anyone from going topless in public buildings or on public streets and sidewalks. Possible penalties are a fine of up to $100 and up to 10 days in jail.

Easton Police Lt. Gregory Wright said people without shirts are considered a public nuisance. He said three citations have been issued since 2003.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned that period of time when Christian Griffith was running around with those banana hammocks he was trying to promote.

Also, next time you all visit the San Luis Valley, stop by Valley View Hot Springs. That'll pretty much mootpoint this whole debate.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Does your gym allow you to take your shirt off?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started