Update photos without removing associations/comments
|
|
Hi, I'd like to update some of the lines images I have been posting (e.g. https://www.mountainproject.com/photo/121099308) as I fix lines, add missing ones and generally correct things. I couldn't find a way to do it without uploading a brand new image, which would lose all the comments and history. Is there a way to do it? Thanks! |
|
|
Hey Alex, I don't think this is currently possible but I'll check with a few folks. As you've probably already seen, if you open a photo you uploaded on the website, you can click the Edit link in the photo caption to see the extent of what can be done with pre-existing photos. Beyond comments, what "history" are you referring to? Just want to make sure I understand what would be important to you to retain. |
|
|
Thanks Zander, I think comments would be the main one, probably with the rest of the metadata that seems to be recorded: age, which documents it is associated with, and its "ranking" in how prominently it gets displayed on a page (e.g. the Eldo one is the main one that appears on the top right when you open the Eldo page). |
|
|
I would like to do this as well. I have topos that I share within an area, but I also then use the photo ID associated with that image to make a copy of that image for various routes within that area. When I make updates to the topo, I need to delete all the associated images as well as the original, then upload the updated image and recreate all the copies. Being able to simply replace an image would be helpful. Second vote on this feature. |
|
|
You should be able to do this with topos you create in Mountain Project. Find the original area topo > Edit > Draw Topo Data > make changes > Save. Any changes should be reflected in all topo copies. |
|
|
Zander Göpfert wrote: Zander, I am aware of the embedded tool on MP and use it frequently, but this is a different ask. I have created some line art, and I update it with new routes every few months. Something more like this: If I create an updated topo image (add new routes or other relevant info) and have this shared to some of the individual routes that are listed in that area, I have to break all the links, delete the image/topo, and upload a new one. Would love to be able to replace the image and have all the associations and comments on the prior images be preserved. |
|
|
Yes, understood. Topos built outside MP (or images in general) can't be swapped, which is especially bad when you've linked them to multiple routes, have comments, star ratings, etc. Thanks for clarifying. |
|
|
Zander Göpfert wrote: So is it possible as an enhancement? I did 'upvote' it in the feature request thread and noticed a few others have also asked for it. :) |
|
|
Admins used to be able to move comments from one photo to a new version in the past, I believe, but that option hasn't been available for quite a while. It would be a very handy tool for cases like this. Great looking topos, Topher. |






