Mountain Project Logo

What’s your climbing toxic trait?

Adam Fleming · · SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 543
M M wrote:

I've done the same 

I've also seen friends almost fist fight over having to clean them outta tight spots mid crux

At least I have the courtesy to only put them in anchors or easy spots, meaning I'm usually the one cleaning them.

Jim U · · Suh-veer-vul, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 81
Rukas Fodor wrote:

I carry a set of Tricams just because my partner hates them, I don't even really like them.

Pink Tricam = NC climbers union card and recognition symbol....

Mark Starr · · Wandering · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 305
apogee wrote:

I bring tricams (and stoppers!) just to watch you squirm….

Toxic trait: I won't spend extra time on tricams unless we're in an area that demands them. A rack should be tuned for the area, and tricams are rarely necessary. If they're harder than a standard tight nut or tricky cam placement I'm happy to lower you back down to retrieve it tho   

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

If they're harder than a standard tight nut or tricky cam placement I'm happy to lower you back down to retrieve it tho  

TFDR - too fixed didn't retrieve

apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0
Mark Starr wrote:

Toxic trait: I won't spend extra time on tricams unless we're in an area that demands them. A rack should be tuned for the area, and tricams are rarely necessary. If they're harder than a standard tight nut or tricky cam placement I'm happy to lower you back down to retrieve it tho   

I think you’re missing the point…it’s about watching the squirming.

We’re talking ‘toxic traits’, right?

Collin H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 131

I routinely set my nuts and place cams at 90+% retraction because I’m scared. When you complain about this while attempting to clean them and tell me “I don’t know if this one's coming out,” I suggest you need to work on your cleaning skills, because it’s not usually a problem for me. When you lower me down to the seemingly fixed piece, I get it out in 30 seconds or less and look up at you with a smug grin.

Tal M · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 6,786

For an actual toxic trait, if you're having a wobble on the route, I'm probably laughing on the ground. And I'm probably not gonna offer any sympathy on the ground to help you save face - especially the longer it goes and more of a scene it becomes/ruder you get. We're adults, and it's not that serious - you're gonna have to do your own emotional regulation here. Tighten up buddy, show some pride.

Nick Henscheid · · Seattle, WA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 689

Getting visibly or audibly annoyed when someone I don't know offers me beta or support or generally says anything to me at the gym.  I'm there to suffer and feel bad about myself, don't try to cheer me up goddammit! 

Mack Johnson · · Silverdale, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 1,071

Semi-toxic:  Talking out loud to myself while leading, but not making clear to my belayer if I want an answer or am just processing.

Mark Starr · · Wandering · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 305
Mack Johnson wrote:

Semi-toxic:  Talking out loud to myself while leading, but not making clear to my belayer if I want an answer or am just processing.

I love that. I mumble to myself and talk to my gear too! Usually I'm just telling myself what I have/see. "Okay. So little halfpad crimp, there's a crystal for my foot, oh sloper over here." "What?!?""Sorry. Nothing........ C'mon little blue I know you'll fit." "Huh?" "I said nothing! Ah. Got it. Take." "What?!?" "TAAAKE!!!"

Abby ManZ · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 72

1. Fill up the best pods and finger locks with gear after I pull past them

2. Place only nuts in pumpy cruxes

Alex C · · San Francisco · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5
Brennan J wrote:

I guess mine would be telling my friends they have bad technique because they wear crack gloves

Quite ironic for someone who was recently spotted wearing crack gloves himself… 👀

Jay Crew · · Apple Valley CA, · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 9,364
Abby ManZ wrote:

1. Fill up the best pods and finger locks with gear after I pull past them

I fill all the best pods and finger locks with gear before I pull past...

Doug Mangum · · Phoenix · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 8

overpacking for EVERYTHING... weekend trip= 17 meals plus snacks,  single pitch sport= sure ill bring a double rack.. you never know

Tommy B · · Lunenburg · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 5

I give my partner about 2 min to setup an anchor before I ask “how’s it going up there” just to stress them out. 

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Two minutes is plenty of time.

Tony Danza · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2024 · Points: 5
Collin H wrote:

I routinely set my nuts and place cams at 90+% retraction because I’m scared. When you complain about this while attempting to clean them and tell me “I don’t know if this one's coming out,” I suggest you need to work on your cleaning skills, because it’s not usually a problem for me. When you lower me down to the seemingly fixed piece, I get it out in 30 seconds or less and look up at you with a smug grin.

It’s only over cammed if it doesn’t come out.

Alex C · · San Francisco · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 5
Tony Danza wrote:

It’s only over cammed if it doesn’t come out.

I climbed with someone who, while cleaning a 0.3 I placed on a single pitch route, yelled down “this is really overcammed” with a tone of knowing superiority — even though it only took him like 10 seconds to get it out.

There are people who think 90+% retraction is bad simply as a matter of principle.

This is a toxic trait. 

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 309

When I find shitty gear on a climb and get it unstuck or booty something. I will rack it on my harness just so I can tell you about it for at least a month, but I will never use it

Collin H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 131
Tony Danza wrote:

It’s only over cammed if it doesn’t come out.

And in this rare event: “It wasn’t that way when I placed it, maybe you retracted the lobes too much and moved it deeper when you tried to clean it?”

It’s the perfect system because it’s impossible to be wrong.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What’s your climbing toxic trait?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.