Mountain Project Logo

What’s your climbing toxic trait?

Kevin Armstrong · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 85

Judging the climbers at my local crag that I've only ever seen top rope. 95% of my time climbing last year was on top rope, but since I TRS, I tell myself it's cool

Collin H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 131

I won’t stop referencing my awesome climbing trip in the Sierra Nevada from over a year ago, and it’s a problem. That and too many self-deprecating jokes when I’m flailing

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

My toxic trait:  I’m fat and don’t climb hard.


::taaaaaake::

peterfogg · · Durango · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 32

My crag vibes are perfect. Too perfect, some say. The other regulars get tired of winning how great my crag vibes are. Did I mention how great the vibe is when I’m at the crag?

Robert Gregory · · Berlin, CT · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

The smell coming from my Evolv climbing shoes . . . 

Luke Lalor · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 10

Oh, great thread. I spray compulsively and don’t recognize people I’ve run into far too many times to not recognize.

The latter point is actually a real issue. Makes me feel awful and is  not how I want to treat people.

Ivan Cross · · Flagstaff · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 198

I really enjoy climbing alone 

Oak 8 · · Western Slope CO · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 25

I always bring my dog to the crag/alpine/gym/boulders, and then get upset when there are other dogs.

Eric Craig · · Santa Cruz · Joined Sep 2024 · Points: 5

I thought this was going to be a lame thread. Most posts made me smile, some even made me chuckle! Apparently I am rather toxic.

take TAKE · · AZ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 221

I want to lead the crux pitch, or else I don't feel like I did the route. I have been working on this with my therapist

Tony Danza · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2024 · Points: 5
Cosmic Hotdog wrote:

Privately considering those who never take falls to just be pretending to be climbers. It's not true, I know, so put away your pitchforks and don't take it personally. 

That’s the opposite of reality. Climbing is climbing, falling is falling, so if you’re falling, you aren’t climbing.

apogee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

I’m usually late to the trailhead, commonly forget important gear, talk incessantly about politics and past relationship drama, insist on bringing a blue camalot on sport routes, stop everything so I can IG this sick shit, wear my PAS as a thong (even  clipped at belays), drop my partner’s gear (with no offer to replace it), and never bring post-climb beers (but gladly drink my partner’s).

Wanna go climbing?

Chris Outings · · Los Angeles · Joined Sep 2022 · Points: 16

abtr - always be tr-ing

i place my gear high

i place my draws higher

Cosmic Hotdog · · California · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 459
Tony Danza wrote:

That’s the opposite of reality. Climbing is climbing, falling is falling, so if you’re falling, you aren’t climbing.

This is some big brain thinking and my world has been turned upside down. Pun intended.

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0
Cosmic Hotdog wrote:

This is some big brain thinking and my world has been turned upside down. Pun intended.

Keep that rope from being your leg when you're Falling, Cosmic Hotdog!   

PortlandRob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 379
Kevin Armstrong wrote:

Judging the climbers at my local crag that I've only ever seen top rope. 95% of my time climbing last year was on top rope, but since I TRS, I tell myself it's cool

Uhh, excuse me. It is cool.

Leif Mahoney · · Superior, WI · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 519

Nobody seems to understand when it’s safer to wait until the bolt is near their waist to clip. Instead they yard up to high clip while doing full Elvis Leg. It bothers me more than it should.

PortlandRob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 379

One time on an alpine climb, after a long approach and being a little behind schedule, just after we both finally rack up, tape up hands, reread the route beta, repack the bags, got shoes on and tied in, my bowels decide it's time for a poo.

Edit: One Every

Leif Mahoney · · Superior, WI · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 519

Using the phrase “fast and light” to justify a late start, knowing we will be neither fast nor light…

Andrew Reed · · Cañon City, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 56

I tie the sharp end to the red loop of rope bags. Red is for fire, and i’m about to get lit.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What’s your climbing toxic trait?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.