Mountain Project Logo

Reel Rock 19- what did you think?

Pino Pepino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Haven't watched the Berthod movie yet. But the Favresse/Villanueva movie felt refreshingly normal without a lot of scenes staged for the camera for extra drama. Hilarious how they were taking the piss out of Siebe for putting his life on Instagram.

Connie Lightner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2025 · Points: 0
Rock Climber wrote:

Say what you will about Joe Kinder and his ways, but I was happy to see him get some recognition for his long history of contributions to the sport.

I want to like Kai, I do…. But beard or not, that boy has not grown up. He’s got some kinda Peter Pan syndrome. He calls his mom 2-3+ times a day and still (happily!?) sleeping in the same bed as mom. It’s not cute anymore, it’s an adult with boundary issues that are creepy and too foreign for me to get past… I want to like him… I do. I just can’t get past that…. It gives me the ick and seems so unhealthy.
The film almost amplifies and highlights just how G rated Disney he is… as a joke to belittle him? Cause that’s my reaction to it all. 

If that's what you got from the film, you might have mommy/daddy issues.  If you were 25 and running 2 businesses, and had a seasoned business person who serves as an assistant,  manager, travel agent, accountant, PR person, ... you'd probably need to speak to them 2-3 times a day also.  Maybe you should step up your game

Val I · · Englewood, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 10

I lost interest in RR. It is 40% soap opera/ highschool drama, 40% virtue signaling and 20% climbing nowadays. 

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 309
Connie Lightner wrote:

If that's what you got from the film, you might have mommy/daddy issues.  If you were 25 and running 2 businesses, and had a seasoned business person who serves as an assistant,  manager, travel agent, accountant, PR person, ... you'd probably need to speak to them 2-3 times a day also.  Maybe you should step up your game

Fair, I don’t have that kind of relationship with my parents.  … The internet is a great place for outsiders to hurl judgement on people and situations we won’t ever fully understand. I just shared my myopic viewpoint. Im trying to be more critical of how the film edits to make Kai seem (to me at least) immature. If you’re truly his mom, congrats on all the success, but if you’re still willing take my advice, I wouldn’t spend any time on these forums.

I suspect that most people who comment never expect the people who they are discussing to even read it… maybe the film’s lesson of posting mean things on the internet was lost on me. I guess it does hurt feelings. 

B Y · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2021 · Points: 20
Rock Climber wrote:

Fair, I don’t have that kind of relationship with my parents.  … The internet is a great place for outsiders to hurl judgement on people and situations we won’t ever fully understand. I just shared my myopic viewpoint. Im trying to be more critical of how the film edits to make Kai seem (to me at least) immature. If you’re truly his mom, congrats on all the success, but if you’re still willing take my advice, I wouldn’t spend any time on these forums.

I suspect that most people who comment never expect the people who they are discussing to even read it… maybe the film’s lesson of posting mean things on the internet was lost on me. I guess it does hurt feelings. 

Good on you to be open to what could very well be the real Connie Lightner's response. I always forget too that 25 is still young. Like by some stretch of the definition, adolescent. Especially if you have been in the competitive pro climbing circuit since being a wee teenager and missing out on a lot of just normal shit that people in their late teen early twenties do. Having her as a home base to call and connect with is definitely everything when you spend your youth constantly traveling and doing the pro rock climber grind that the smallest percentage of us will ever understand. I cant imagine all of the fair weather friends pro climbers make from people just trying to leech off their momentum and maintain a relationship purely from self interest. So having a home base is just priceless. If you are Kai's mom for real. You did great. 

Wade Banks · · Harrisonburg, VA · Joined Feb 2023 · Points: 592
Skyler S wrote:

There are tons of climbing films about people struggling their way up some 5.14/.15 if that’s what you’re looking for, particularly in past Reel Rocks. How many times can you really watch Chris Sharma or Adam Ondra scream their way up some impossibly overhung sport crag in Spain or France or whatever. It’s the same narrative over and over again, and the climbing isn’t even relatable anymore. 5.15 might as well be a totally different sport than what I’m partaking in. It’s boring, frankly.

I welcome them embracing more personal stories and struggles that the rest of us can actually relate to, particularly in troubling times such as these.

You can relate to leaving your child behind to join a cult? Or is it the sticking up for a violent rapist what you relate to? 

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465
Wade Banks wrote:

You can relate to leaving your child behind to join a cult? Or is it the sticking up for a violent rapist what you relate to? 

Going on a limb here, but I'm guessing he can relate to the fact that elite climbers are just people like the rest of us, with complex issues and circumstances that can lead us to do things that might not make sense to others

Connie Lightner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2025 · Points: 0
B Y wrote:

Good on you to be open to what could very well be the real Connie Lightner's response. I always forget and business minded than  that 25 is still young. Like by some stretch of the definition, adolescent. Especially if you have been in the competitive pro climbing circuit since being a wee teenager and missing out on a lot of just normal shit that people in their late teen early twenties do. Having her as a home base to call and connect with is definitely everything when you spend your youth constantly traveling and doing the pro rock climber grind that the smallest percentage of us will ever understand. I cant imagine all of the fair weather friends pro climbers make from people just trying to leech off their momentum and maintain a relationship purely from self interest. So having a home base is just priceless. If you are Kai's mom for real. You did great. 

Thanks.  And yes, 25 is young, especially when it comes to juggling a lot of complex responsibilities. Dynamics are different when a parent is also your business partner.  In a day's time, how often do most people communicate with a co-worker or associate to handle business or respond to an email?  I just get the added bonus of occasionally being able to check in on him personally, in the midst of business.

And immature is not a word that anyone that has ever interacted with Kai would use.  That kid was more even-keeled and business minded than most adults ... when he was 15.

Anyway, I usually see things and don't respond.  I did this time because the comment lacked a lot of context. No hurt feelings this way, just thought I'd chime in.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Reel Rock 19- what did you think?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.