New and Experienced Climbers over 50 #32
|
|
Healing vibes to Tony and whomever else needs them. Had to chop through 3inches of fresh ice to get in the pond this evening . I did 4 plunges.. The first one is pretty interesting. They get progressively easier. |
|
|
I got the bad news today that I need to have surgery on my right elbow to grind a new slot in my elbow for the ulnar nerve to run thru. At frst it just seemed like I had a ganglion cyst which is a much easier surgery. Still, I should be good to go by spring so Keesee and I can go backpacking and fishing. I loved my MRI reading: fucked up cartiledge, long term (like 40 years) tendonosis, bone spurs, and arthritis. The doc asked me what I did for a living that would cause all that. 50 years of climbing! Wouldn't change it for the world... |
|
|
I met John Bald for the first time last spring. I was on one of my many trips back and forth from SoCal to Wyoming getting our house building and subsequent move organized, and he extended his hospitality. So, I spent a relaxing evening with him at his home in SLC. Great guy! |
|
|
Sorry to hear it, Jan! |
|
|
Jan, good luck with your surgery. I can't keep up with who's having surgery for what. At this point, it's just a rotation. |
|
|
Jan Mc wrote: Hoping for the best!
Battle scars! |
|
|
I'm getting an implant to address my projectile dysfunction |
|
|
Age is relentless isn’t it. I am having my ankle replaced in February, just had some screws removed from the ankle so they didn’t interfere with the replacement parts. Took off a large ganglion cyst as a bonus. |
|
|
Kevinmurray wrote: So true. I have knees and shoulders that could be fixed but you have to weigh the cost and the risk. Look at Yates who just died from an infection from a replacement part. My feeling is a part needs to either really fucking hurt (true in this case) or have become mostly useless before it get replaced. And the replacement has to be pretty much a guarantee of better times as well.
|
|
|
I waited till the technology of ankle replacement got much better before I decided to have it done. The prospect of waiting and the bone maybe getting weaker was a factor. Well that and my daughter the rn told me, nagged me to get it done. |
|
|
Jan Mc wrote: Hah, I have both knees and 1 shoulder that could be replaced but cost and mostly risk are keeping me from pulling the trigger. Had a neighbor my age (68) go in for hip replacement. Post surgery infection led to sepsis, then he died with a new hip. Good luck Jan, Carry on all... |
|
|
After weeks of indoor only climbing I went to ranger rock and climbed yesterday but it’s small and unimpressive compared to El Cap so I took it’s picture too. |
|
|
Sunday: 7 full sets of Campus board plus two partial Rested two days working full time. Wednesday: 4 full sets Campus board. Too sore to complete 9 sets Thursday: climbed hard, couldn’t finish any of the harder climbs. Too sore… I may, just maybe need to campus only once per week Will try that next week… |
|
|
When Hell’s Kitchen freezes over and bouldering is off the menu: Enjoy the quattro driving on Highway 4 (fast!) Go skate skiing out the door at Bear Valley (sadly, not fast) Temps feel more like Easter than Christmas but that might be Barrow talking… Tried to load pics with this, but apparently the only thing slower than my Nordic skiing is the internet service here. Oh well, the weather is beautiful. Shrug. |
|
|
The kid I was mentoring last year went off to college where he got corrupted by a bunch of pad people. Now he is recovering from a broken ankle... I thought I warned him about this shit.. |
|
|
sometimes its a life altering injury. friend of mine broke his heel drinking and sleeping. Not climbing. Got up to pee and walked off the balcony of his in construction home. No temporary railing.. suffered a lifetime of pain and surgeries. Finally said fck it and had the whole foot amputated about 5 years ago. |
|
|
Nick Goldsmith wrote: Something similar happend to Mark Powell. Around 1958, he took a fall on the Arrowhead Arete in Yosemite and broke his ankle, which later became infected. Only the heroics of a battle-trained surgeon prevented an immediate amputation. Before the accident, he was one of the most promising up-and-coming Yosemite climbers. After recovering, he continued climbing, although never at his previous levels. He endured a lifetime of pain, and late in life (he was 81 but would live ten more years) had his foot amputated, just about 50 years after the accident. |
|
|
rgold wrote: http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/13201215999 Around a campfire in the needles Mark once told us about his career as an actor. Well, he was an extra in several western movies. A very handsome guy he found himself in at least one film starring James Stewart. He recalled how Stewart would forget or muff his lines, over and over, while everyone would wait patiently for the next take. |
|
|
When I shattered my leg and it was healed I asked my ortho doctor how bad it was rated on a scale of 1-10 and what was the worst he had seen. He said it was about a 6 and that the worst was when an agricultural student at the univ. of Az, right then I knew a large amount of alchol was involved as my father-in-law was a grad of that dept. and heard lots of history. Anyway the doc says that a bunch of guys were roping mailboxes from the bed of a moving pickup and one got his leg caught up in the rope. They had to take off his foot. That was a 10. |
|
|
Mal Daly had his foot taken off to get rid of the pain from his fall in Alaska. Said it was the smartest thing he ever did. |








