Mountain Project Logo

Making your own portaledge

Pete Nelson · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 27

As someone who used to do custom cabinet making and furniture, I'll second John's point that the price for a d4 is super reasonable. Naw, I've got it wrong; it's a bargain. Re-read Ben's post about his proud DIY effort. Obviously the pros are a lot quicker but think about what they've invested just in learning their trade. Now, getting the ipad swung around at me when I get my basic coffee and I'm asked to tip 25%, that's another matter!

Gidi Shinaar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2022 · Points: 0
Terry E · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 43
Gidi Shinaar wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJyjKwp8Ow less than a 100euros

"How To make A Cheap DIY Portaledge From Decathlon's Camping Bed"

Definitely “old-school”.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

I had some friends a few years ago who made their own ledge. They took time off from their families and jobs, drove to Yosemite, humped gear to the base, fixed pitches, jugged, hauled, climbed, set up the ledge and in the middle of the night it collapsed. 

Ignatius Pi · · Europe · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 13
Mark Hudon wrote:

I had some friends a few years ago who made their own ledge. They took time off from their families and jobs, drove to Yosemite, humped gear to the base, fixed pitches, jugged, hauled, climbed, set up the ledge and in the middle of the night it collapsed. 

October 1980. Steve Monks was leading the long fifth pitch of The Trip, the one that diagonals up leftwards above the big slanting overlap. There was a commotion down at the belay where they had just spent the night on a homemade ledge that Steve had bought off a guy in Camp 4. The 'Venus Flytrap' model, presumably; it had just 'eaten' his partner, Dennis!

Peter Zabrok · · Hamilton, ON · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 645
Mark Hudon wrote:

I had some friends a few years ago who made their own ledge. They took time off from their families and jobs, drove to Yosemite, humped gear to the base, fixed pitches, jugged, hauled, climbed, set up the ledge and in the middle of the night it collapsed. 

Did they bail? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Making your own portaledge"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started