Mountain Project Logo

Index of Climbs for the new Smith Rock guidebook by Alan Watts

Original Post
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

The brand new Smith Rock guidebook by Alan Watts is here!

You've probably noticed it has some curious omissions:

- history section (a bummer because Alan Watts's history of Smith Rock is always beautifully written)

- FA information

- index of climbs by name (most frustrating omission!)

I was speaking with Alan and learned that these omissions were due to decisions made by the publisher in order to keep the book from getting too thick. Alan did produce and submit all of the above and he didn't know that they got cut out until the guidebook was in his hands.
The good news is that Alan is working on a companion guidebook that he will self publish. It will include all of the above, plenty of photos, a second index where the climbs are listed by grade, and any new climbs that have come about in the past year!
Also, Alan was kind enough to email me the index of climbs as a Word file. It will eventually get posted to his website. In the mean time he gave me the OK to share it, so I posted it to relevant Smith Rock/Bend/Central Oregon climbing Facebook groups.
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

Thanks for posting this Khoi - I'm looking forward to seeing the companion guidebook. Everything you mentioned is the reason why I'm not going to part with the last edition of the guide. Falcon climbing guidebooks should rename themselves "Cliff Notes" - they cater to a similar audience.

UPDATE: Alan has sent me a PDF file that has the index of climbs by route names and by grade, as well as a brief write up by Alan explaining how things got this way.

I have uploaded it to the relevant Smith Rock/Bend/Central Oregon climbing Facebook groups.

drew A · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 6

Any chance you can share that for us non Facebook users? I can PM you if you want to just email it to me. Thanks!

PM me your email address and I will email it to you

drew A · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 6

Just PM'd you, thanks!

Cireously · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

Alan has a print version of the index for only $7 if you can catch one of his book signing events. Pretty sweet tick list. 

Eric R · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 36

Also omitted from the 3rd edition, all the bouldering routes. I guess that means the old book is still useful hahahaha.

Timothy Cedar · · Portland, OR · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 32

Can I get that email too? Headed over this weekend!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Index of Climbs for the new Smith Rock guideboo…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started