Mountain Project Logo

Moving to the New River Gorge

Original Post
Peyton Comins · · Winchester · Joined Jan 2024 · Points: 2

I'm moving within 5 miles of the New River Gorge in May and I am trying to find all of the most classic routes 5.11 and under. There are thousands of routes to sift through so I'd love some input on some of the classics and must do's in the area, sport and trad. Thanks

+(is climbing there in the summer as sweaty and desperate as some people say it is?)

Bailey Nicholson · · Michigan/Virginia · Joined Jun 2023 · Points: 8

if you want classic moderates, go to orange Oswald, especially hippie dreams .  It can get pretty sweaty but people still send hard shit.  Make sure you DWS on those really hot days.  

Peyton Comins · · Winchester · Joined Jan 2024 · Points: 2
Bailey Nicholson wrote:

if you want classic moderates, go to orange Oswald, especially hippie dreams .  It can get pretty sweaty but people still send hard shit.  Make sure you DWS on those really hot days.  

Would most DWSing at Summersville require a kayak or some sort of boat to get from route to route?

Bailey Nicholson · · Michigan/Virginia · Joined Jun 2023 · Points: 8

No, you go to whipporwell and just kinda doggy paddle around the area.  I would say about half of the people wore shoes the other half did it barefoot.  Some people brought little pool floaties to hang out on.  That being said, if you have a kayak, there are routes that are only accessible that way.  Long Point I think is the area.  When I was there there were some problems but a lot of it was just people hanging out and trying whatever they thought looked cool. 

The first thing I would also do is go to Waterstone, its one of the great local indie gearshops they will hit you with more beta than you need.  

Also, my guilty pleasure is the beer cheese at Arrowhead Bike Farm. Maybe it was just the dehydration from a day of sending(hangdogging), but it was the best I've ever had by a mile.  

nowhere · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Flight of the gumby

Satisfaction gauranteed

Out of the bag

Michelin man

Under the Milky Way

Not MP Admin · · The OASIS · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 17

This belongs in regional forum, but you can also filter and sort on the region‘s guide 

Soiled 800-fill Down Boxers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2024 · Points: 0

Yes - use the route finding feature. Enter the grade range and the star rating (3 and up) that you are looking for and MP will return a list.  Easy. 

Mitch Monty · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Moving to the New River Gorge"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started