Mountain Project Logo

Defunct Climbing Terminology

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Aaron Kolb wrote:

I read somewhere that the French call a gaston "une epaule," a shoulder

The French not using “gaston” is kinda like a mother critter abandoning her baby that’s been touched by humans.   

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 662
F r i t z wrote:


The term "gaston" was actually named after the strongest boulderer in France in the 1800's. Legend has it that his training plan included bench-pressing buxom barmaids and consuming five dozen eggs per day.

Supposedly last year's Reel Rock was going to feature the clip below, a historical reenactment of his warmup routine.

However, after spending over $69,000 in member dues to conduct a Microaggression Impact Study, the Access Fund deemed that clip contributed to a culture of toxic masculinity and threatened to pull funding from Reel Rock if it were included.

Gaston's many FA's in the Font -- which include Expectoration Station V10+, Biceps to Spare V11, and Intimidating Specimen V13 -- have been redacted and are sadly lost in the annals of climbing history.


Sadly, this is actually believable.

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

Bomber, not so much that it has been abandoned but I don't think it was ever used correctly. I have seen bomber rock applied to almost every crag, I simply just don't believe the term anymore. If you are not willing to hammer at the holds on an established route knowing the rock wont break, the rock isn't bomber. 

Also bullet proof. I really want someone to fire shots into the rock to prove this point. I think most bad rock would still be bullet proof. 

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,083

i just thought of another one.  "world class". talk amongst yourselves...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
slim wrote:

i just thought of another one.  "world class". talk amongst yourselves...

Careful. You're channeling the puppy bugger.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 378

Has anyone mentioned Alez! yet?  I think that's how its spelled.  

Aaron Kolb · · Western Slope CO · Joined Jun 2022 · Points: 484

Allez? Watch any Mellow video in Europe and you'll hear it plenty

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,083

"Venga!" lolz.... usually shouted by folks with very limited spanish vocabulary.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,083
Marc801 C wrote:

Careful. You're channeling trolling the puppy bugger.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
slim wrote:

"Venga!" lolz.... usually shouted by folks with very limited spanish vocabulary.

Con huevos?

Andre Sarrazin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2022 · Points: 0
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

Has anyone mentioned Alez! yet?  I think that's how its spelled.  

Allez means to “come on” or “come”. While it’s just a general French word, I have heard it used a lot in the European Mellow climbers

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 378
Andre Sarrazin wrote:

Allez means to “come on” or “come”. While it’s just a general French word, I have heard it used a lot in the European Mellow climbers

What annoys me is not French climbers using it but American climbers using it trying to sound like laid back French climbers but it comes off sounding pretty cringy. 

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,152
Andre Sarrazin wrote:

Allez means to “come on” or “come”. While it’s just a general French word, I have heard it used a lot in the European Mellow climbers

Interesting, is that colloquial?  the literal translation - Go! (Command form of aller) makes more sense to me. 

Aaron Kolb · · Western Slope CO · Joined Jun 2022 · Points: 484
phylp phylp wrote:

Interesting, is that colloquial?  the literal translation - Go! (Command form of aller) makes more sense to me. 

I think that has more to do with the fact that in English "come" can have different meanings. 

He came in

Come on!

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756
slim wrote:

The obsession with me never ends!

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I first heard Allez when I started bouldering in a gym that was about 5 hours from Font.  The local gym climbers had adopted it from their pilgrimages to Font.  I've used it very rarely at home but hear it occasionally and it reminds me of my early days pulling plastic and grunting.

I have always thought of a gaston as a cross-body side pull and a "side pull" as being a move where you pull towards your body with the hand on the same side as the pull, in agreement with what was already explained.  The counter pressure crack move makes sense too and makes me think that what I've been doing is only half a gaston.

Splitter is over used.  I cringe when I hear it used to describe weather, snow, slab, anything but a crack that formed when the rock split abruptly and sharply. 

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

Mentors

Hank Hudley · · Georgia · Joined Feb 2022 · Points: 0

Has anyone mentioned sandbagged? I recently overheard someone telling their partner "This route is so sandbagged, there's sand in every hold!" 

Paul Piratus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55
Darren Mabe wrote:

Mentors

Let's keep it fresh and give a slagging to "neologisms we can live without." First up: mentee.

Yoda Jedi Knight · · Sandpoint, ID · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Almost 10 pages in and have hardly seen any defunct terms here

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Defunct Climbing Terminology"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.