Mountain Project Logo

overheard at the crag: post it

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
caesar.salad wrote:

I thought we all collectively banned hammocks.....

I think that was part of the blanket ban that included drones and go-pros

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

Top Roper cruxing out and then hanging before the first bolt-

Non belayer friend- You should come down and try to get the Red Point, then you can come back tomorrow and get the Flash.

Dave Daly · · Kernville, CA · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,962
caesar.salad wrote:

I thought we all collectively banned hammocks.....

Perhaps you were referring to banana hammocks

Pierre Proulx · · Montreal, Quebec, CA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 10
Dave Daly wrote:

Perhaps you were referring to banana hammocks

yeah, ban these too please :P

Kennedy O'Donnell · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 90
Dan D wrote:

How about a happy overheard at the crag:

Someone belaying their partner who is standing on a slab figuring out the crux: "Do you know what route this is?"
Me: "Sure, it looks like it's this 10a called Mungajerry"
Them: "Cool, don't tell them"

Later the climber sends the climb

Them: "Congrats, you just onsighted a 10a!"

I thought it was cool that they just hopped on a random climb and onsighted a grade they'd never onsighted before.

This was exactly how my first 10a went down. So funny. It was "She got the Bosch, I Got Drilled," at the NRG and I had never rope climbed outside before. Just gym. I was certain I wouldn't be able to do anything past 5.9 on my first day, and I made that clear to my experienced buddy. I get down off the wall and my buddy says "congrats. You just onsighted 10a." I was fucking ecstatic and I'm CERTAIN that if he told me the grade I wouldn't have finished it. 

Tim Weng · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 20

From a group of high school/college age kids. One of them seems to be the leader, "Remember to shout clipping when you clip!." 

Later, one of them asks about what they think about people using the gri gri cam blocking technique to feed slack, "We don't say anything to them, just judge them silently"

Cron · · Maine / NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 60

My buddy looking for my guidebook he set down on the ground at our local sport crag last weekend.

Buddy: “Hey did you see a guidebook over here that’s not yours?”

Dudebro: stares him down for 3 seconds, points to the book sitting underneath his backpack.

Buddy: “ok thanks…”

Dudebro: annoyed “yeah I was about to take it”

Buddy: “ok…”

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
Cron wrote:

My buddy looking for my guidebook he set down on the ground at our local sport crag last weekend.

Buddy: “Hey did you see a guidebook over here that’s not yours?”

Dudebro: stares him down for 3 seconds, points to the book sitting underneath his backpack.

Buddy: “ok thanks…”

Dudebro: annoyed “yeah I was about to take it”

Buddy: “ok…”

Gosh what a jerk. I hate that part of climbing culture. If you find something that seems lost how about asking around or just leaving it alone.

BAd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 130

Hah.  My wife found a guide book at one of our crags, and no one in the area could claim it, but she found the guy on MP.  Nice.

Mark Starr · · Wandering · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 305
caesar.salad wrote:

Gosh what a jerk. I hate that part of climbing culture. If you find something that seems lost how about asking around or just leaving it alone.

Is that part of climbing culture specifically?

I think it's human culture to take things you find on the ground. 

Walt Peters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Dudebro is a douche bag!

Nathan Doyle · · Gold Country, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 57
Mark Starr wrote:

Is that part of climbing culture specifically?

I think it's human culture to take things you find on the ground. 

First thing I thought when I saw that. There are many things that have nothing to do with climbing culture in and of itself; just humans being humans.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

I guess I lump it in with the culture of finding "booty" in climbing.

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 55
Mark Starr wrote:

I think it's human culture to take things you find on the ground. 

I was just outside and noticed a lot of cars on the ground, are they open for takin? You sound like a thief trying to justify your behavior. How about this, don’t take anything that doesn’t belong to you, how about that for culture?

Mark Starr · · Wandering · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 305
Doug Chism wrote:

I was just outside and noticed a lot of cars on the ground, are they open for takin? You sound like a thief trying to justify your behavior. How about this, don’t take anything that doesn’t belong to you, how about that for culture?

Rather aggressive and accusatory for a Sunday morning, Doug. Don't be rude, man.

 I was only suggesting that not everything a climber does is "climbing culture." 

Mark Starr · · Wandering · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 305
caesar.salad wrote:

I guess I lump it in with the culture of finding "booty" in climbing.

That's a big lump. I would presume that a stuck cam someone works on for 30 minutes isn't the same as a guidebook on the ground. 

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 55
Mark Starr wrote:

Rather aggressive and accusatory for a Sunday morning, Doug. Don't be rude, man.

 I was only suggesting that not everything a climber does is "climbing culture." 

The way I read your post it sounded as if you were justifying the near theft of the guidebook because the owner briefly left it on the ground when climbing/belaying, if that wasnt the case I apologize. 

Nathan Doyle · · Gold Country, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 57
Doug Chism wrote:

The way I read your post it sounded as if you were justifying the near theft of the guidebook because the owner briefly left it on the ground when climbing/belaying, if that wasnt the case I apologize. 

It was suggested that this type of theft was part of climbing culture and he was disputing that by saying theft is instead a general human thing, in that some humans steal.

L Kap · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 225
Nathan Doyle wrote:

It was suggested that this type of theft was part of climbing culture and he was disputing that by saying theft is instead a general human thing, in that some humans steal.

Two things can be true at the same time. 1) Some humans steal. 2) "Booty" culture in climbing encourages people to view other people's gear as up for grabs. I understand where it comes from, but so many climbers take it as a point of pride to nab gear that was left for almost any reason. Left a piece because you are newer or less skilled than I am? Your shit is mine. Forgetful? Your shit is mine. Got caught in bad weather? Your shit is mine. Had to self-rescue? Mine. Partner died in an accident? Too bad about that, but you abandoned that gear so it's mine. You could have gone back for it. 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
L Kap wrote:

Two things can be true at the same time. 1) Some humans steal. 2) "Booty" culture in climbing encourages people to view other people's gear as up for grabs. I understand where it comes from, but so many climbers take it as a point of pride to nab gear that was left for almost any reason. Left a piece because you are newer or less skilled than I am? Your shit is mine. Forgetful? Your shit is mine. Got caught in bad weather? Your shit is mine. Had to self-rescue? Mine. Partner died in an accident? Too bad about that, but you abandoned that gear so it's mine. You could have gone back for it. 

This 1000 times

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.