Mountain Project Logo

Yet Another Bolt Remover

Edwin Montenegro Murillo · · Bogotá · Joined Apr 2021 · Points: 0

Cordial Saludo, desde Colombia, me han copartido este link y veo con mucho asombro la interesante informaciòn, como puedo acceder a los planos para fabricaciòn del equipo para prebas de anclajes deportivos, tu idea es interesante, mi correo es edwinmontenegro@ingenieros.com, gracias 

Greg Barnes · · American Safe Climbing Asso… · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,776

Thanks to Peter we have a YABR with a spinner tool in the ASCA fundraising silent auction at: https://app.galabid.com/asca-auction

Auction ends 8pm Wednesday (mountain time) and shipping is included.

Peter Thomas · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 355

Thanks Greg, and thanks to Cleatis too. He's 90% of these tools. If you want one, get it from the ASCA. I'm sold out, and don't have a date yet for the next batch 

For some reason the link above didn't work for me https://app.galabid.com/asca-auction/items

if you miss this one, can still submit the interest form to go on the waitlist for the next batch 

Xavi Arregui · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

Thanks cleatis, thanks Peter Thomas, after overcoming the problems with the European metric and the plastic back cover, we have already been able to test the YABR. It works very well, we are very happy with the purchase. From Barcelona, Spain we thank you. We have made a short video for our compatriots and Spanish-speaking stakeholders.



Peter Thomas · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 355

Just got another batch of parts from Cleatis! I'm working to assemble and am shipping the first few tomorrow. If you're interested in getting one, and didn't already submit the google form, please do so here https://forms.gle/CpGMcS1QAwYWsTtJ9 

cleatis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 205

I've lost track, but I think this batch will mark 80+ units in the wild.  Big thanks to Greg German for all the design ideas and constant innovation, Peter for the work assembling and shipping, and all the users for their feedback (and work replacing bolts!) 

Mark S Warren · · Bend, OR · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Could one of these be made to work with with 5/8" coarse thread bolts?

Peter Thomas · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 355
Mark S Warren wrote:

Could one of these be made to work with with 5/8" coarse thread bolts?

Are you wanting to pull 5/8 bolts, or make a puller with one? I think either way the answer is yes.

If pulling, you’d need a coupler for 5/8”. You can get these from McMaster. 1/2” is the biggest I’ve used a YABR on. Maybe Cleatis or others have experience on this.

If making a puller, some of the older devices through access fund were made with a 1/2” course thread bolt and aluminum tubing. Those are quite a bit less expensive to make, but can be a hassle to use, and seem more prone to shearing bolts instead of pulling them. https://www.geir.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Hurley-Jr-assembly-instructions-Nov-2020.pdf 

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,904
Mark S Warren wrote:

Could one of these be made to work with with 5/8" coarse thread bolts?

5/8" is beefy. The ball screw used for this device is also 5/8" (16mm), so you are potentially pulling on something with comparable breaking strength. The limiting factor is muscle, tho - I doubt you could break a piece of 5/8" all-thread without extending the lever arm on the tool. But who knows - you might be swole enuf to break either the tool or a big-ass bolt. I'd be most worried about the wear and tear on the drill you use to attempt to spin a wedge bolt in those dimensions...

Peter Thomas · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 355

A few people have asked for instructions/videos on using the YABR. If you're interested, you can view them here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGXUUMvbSMkJNqLHc-PvAnQ 

They are pretty basic intros to tool, and pulling wedge and 5-piece bolts. 

Here is another video from the How not to Highline folks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58t0eHUJgbo 

I also still have a few YABRs left from the most recent batch. If you'd like one, please fill out this interest form https://forms.gle/tCNEtCksPXstYFHx9 

Louis Tremblay · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Is anyone else's YARB outside shaft corroding? Don't know if I'm not storing it incorrectly (I do live in a maritime environment). 

Peter Thomas · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 355
Louis Tremblay wrote:

Is anyone else's YARB outside shaft corroding? Don't know if I'm not storing it incorrectly (I do live in a maritime environment). 

Hi Louis, getting a little rust/corrosion on the tubing is normal.  We did one batch with stainless, but it didn’t perform as well.

From Cleatis last year “ if you are worried about it, you can sand it down and throw a little wax on it or spray it with clear coat.  I haven't bothered with mine since these things get dinged up in the use anyway.”

Hope this helps

Louis Tremblay · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
Peter Thomas wrote:

Hi Louis, getting a little rust/corrosion on the tubing is normal.  We did one batch with stainless, but it didn’t perform as well.

From Cleatis last year “ if you are worried about it, you can sand it down and throw a little wax on it or spray it with clear coat.  I haven't bothered with mine since these things get dinged up in the use anyway.”

Hope this helps

Absolutely, thanks! 

Mathieu Fresco · · Queretaro, MX · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Jim Titt wrote: What sort of force can it pull?

It is not really relevant. If you spin it right you can pull a 1/2"

Mathieu Fresco · · Queretaro, MX · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Kent Krauza wrote:

Hi Peter, is it possible to just get a threaded SDS spinner tool/bit?  I have one of the original YABR’s and it wasn’t offered as a part of the deal back then.  I’m in Canada so I can’t get one from the Access Society directly.  

Sds adapter can be found for 7usd, a couple of nut, a welding machine + a grinding wheel if you care about the finishing. I will send one for free but from Mexico to Canada the shipping will kill the deal.

Mathieu Fresco · · Queretaro, MX · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

Cletis did an awsome job and the design is really nice.

I will still remove the aluminum tip that tend to get loose after a few hundred pulls and leave the inox square pipe to interface with the rock.

Attachment point also get loose and I will recomend using loctite on every screws to avoid dropping your yabr a few hundred feet like I did. (Still work great)

Finally, I get the point of the removable handle, and don't get me wrong, I would probably love it if the bolt is really close from a corner but mean time it is a pain as it always get loose so I just loctited it in place and no longer have to hand tighten it 20 times a day.

I ve tested bolt replacement up to 5 times in hard rock (fooling around) before jumping to glue in so this tool is really worth every penny. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Mathieu Fresco wrote:

It is not really relevant. If you spin it right you can pull a 1/2"

It's relevant to me.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Jim Titt wrote:

It's relevant to me.

Jim - in this video using the same ball screw the device hits 5630lbs (25kN) before the bolt yields.


Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Still didn't answer my question.

C Williams · · Anchorage · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,817
Jim Titt wrote:

Still didn't answer my question.

I can’t give you a precise number, but the YABR will snap a 3/8 stud in tension if you aren’t careful.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Yet Another Bolt Remover"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.