Mountain Project Logo

G7 new product - Hand Jam crack glove

Original Post
Andrew Vink · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 5

Saw G7 posted a new product....crack glove that come with a 3 year warranty!! 

Looks like it made from leather? What are people thinking about this? They look pretty nice

Erik Strand · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0

Having never tried any crack gloves, I would rather go get the black diamond ones. Having the glove cover my thumb as well sounds preferable. I think BDs glove is the only one that does that. The wrist strap breaks on a bunch of people, but thats not a deal breaker for me. Again, this is from the voice of zero experience and purely speculation. 

Andrew Vink · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 5

They are now live on Kickstarter...

Not sure about everyone else, but I'm getting a pair!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gradeviiequipment/g7-hand-jam

Nate A · · SW WA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

$85 MSRP. Lol. 

P ibm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Wide Boyz are also releasing a glove soon that covers the thumb. Design looks very similar to black diamond's glove

Mountain Dillo · · Longview, TX · Joined Sep 2020 · Points: 0
Nate A wrote:

$85 MSRP. Lol. 

It's literally just a piece of die punched leather with a piece of velcro attached. I have a pretty decent stack of leather in my utility room (leatherwork is a hobby of mine). I should start making these. I could even make them out of fancy saffiano leather or such for half the price!

John Reeve · · Durango, formely from TX · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 15

It has been a strange year, but "vegan crack gloves" was still an unexpected concept.

SICgrips · · Charlottesville · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 146

Wait for the new WideBoyz crack gloves that'll soon be out.

Mark Webster · · Tacoma · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 235

I started with Ocuns, and still like them, but they melt instantly if you get DEET on them. Destroyed a brand new pair of Ocuns in one day at Squamish. 

I traced my Ocuns out on leather, added a more durable lacing system and have been using these for 3 years now. My latest improvement (not pictured) is to extend the lacing to the thumb hole. That leather around the thumb is susceptible to wear when rappelling. The lacing is more durable than leather for the thumb loop. I get about a year out of them. Cost is maybe $6 in leather each pair. They do take about a day to break in, just like a base ball glove.

I've sold a few to friends, but they take about 3 hours to make (hand cutting), and  there is no way to charge a decent hourly wage and keep the price competitive. 

I can wear these on cruisers up to about 5.9. But beyond that I use a standard tape job which is thinner and more precise and allows my big meathooks to get into #1 red jams.

z

z

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

Did you write Ron Window on your hand?

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

mark - those look awesome. the strap looks way more durable than velcro that gets fuzzy after a few uses. does the plastic buckle ever get in the way?

Nodin deSaillan · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

I agree, those look rad, Mark. I have been toying with some designs as well. I think that I am going to try to mimic BD's design with the fully covered thumb. I am looking at synthetic suede options and adhering a thin rubber sheet on top of that.

Yoda Jedi Knight · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0
Live Perched wrote:

Did you write Ron Window on your hand?

Yes, don't forget to Ron Window, Mark!

Cairn War Machine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 6

That MSRP of $85 US ($111 CAD!) is out to lunch! Currently I can purchase the other brands for around $50 CAD each. At more then double the price, and with less manufacturing to them (no rubber) I can't see these taking off to well. 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Why do they look exactly like ocuns? What a markup. I’m way more interested in trying out the BD version or maybe the wide boys kit when it comes out.

El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 70
SICgrips wrote:

Wait for the new WideBoyz crack gloves that'll soon be out.

Does anyone have a link to the info about the WideBoyz gloves?  My Google-fu seems to be failing me...

Nodin deSaillan · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

I have been very happy with the BD gloves. A little Barge cement here and there has had them going strong all summer...

P ibm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
El Duderino wrote:

Does anyone have a link to the info about the WideBoyz gloves?  My Google-fu seems to be failing me...

https://youtu.be/UIQ-IpMQu8k

You can see them using the gloves in this video:

https://youtu.be/nvPNHLc37PE

And some of their other recent Videos as well

Sam Skovgaard · · Port Angeles, WA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 208

Mark's gloves look like something a Game of Thrones character would have worn.  Now I want to see a leather/hide portaledge on the side of the Wall!

I've tried the OR, Ocun, and BD gloves, and BD take the cake for outdoor climbing.  I really like how the finger loops are sewn with a half-twist, they are super thin, and there's a nice nearly-flush join between the rubbery parts and the leathery parts.  Lots of size choices is really nice.  The thumb coverage is the cherry on top: fear not those 0.75 cracks!

No way would I spend $80 for something so clearly technologically inferior to BD crack gloves.

Something to know about all these gloves is that they should be considered a consumable good, like shoe rubber.  None will last forever, but a little sewing/gluing can make them last a bit longer.

Ted Raven · · Squamish, BC · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 220

I like G7 as a company, but I have like two summers and probably 500 pitches on my Ocuns and they’re still going strong. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 

Mark Webster · · Tacoma · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 235
petzl logic wrote:

mark - those look awesome. the strap looks way more durable than velcro that gets fuzzy after a few uses. does the plastic buckle ever get in the way?

My design is a huge improvement over Velcro. The buckle is not a problem. The rubber on Ocuns is a tiny bit stickier than my leather, but not enough to matter. Getting a few patterns for the different sizes figured out was the hardest thing. Ya’ll should try making your own. It’s fun, easy and cheap

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "G7 new product - Hand Jam crack glove"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.