Mountain Project Logo

Any Mountain Towns in need of a local Coffee Roaster

Original Post
Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

In reference to my post 2 years and 2 babies ago my gf and I are ready to move our Coffee Roasting biz somewhere where are children can grow up and experience the better things in life.  The great outdoors.  Don't really want to bust up into a flooded market albeit we are not scared of competition.  Our website can be viewed at CoffeeDoc.coffee. We will be doing dessert teas as well.  Super excited to transition.  Any input, leads are appreciated.  We are mainly thinking Mass or Vermont but anywhere is an option.  Except Alaska.  Lol

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145
Chris Wright wrote:

In reference to my post 2 years and 2 babies ago my gf and I are ready to move our Coffee Roasting biz somewhere where are children can grow up and experience the better things in life.  The great outdoors.  Don't really want to bust up into a flooded market albeit we are not scared of competition.  Our website can be viewed at CoffeeDoc.coffee. We will be doing dessert teas as well.  Super excited to transition.  Any input, leads are appreciated.  We are mainly thinking Mass or Vermont but anywhere is an option.  Except Alaska.  Lol

my experience in coffee and mountain towns, even mountain towns only 2 hours from Denver, which has a fantastic third wave coffee scene, is that many folks still want large, sugary flavored lattes and think that lighter roasted, single origin coffees taste "acidic." 

Greg Maschi · · Phoenix ,Az · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0
bearded sam wrote:

my experience in coffee and mountain towns, even mountain towns only 2 hours from Denver, which has a fantastic third wave coffee scene, is that many folks still want large, sugary flavored lattes and think that lighter roasted, single origin coffees taste "acidic."

Sugar is as American as Apple Pie,it sells , probably on nearly the same scale as sex.If you want to make money , sugar is sadly ,cheap and plentiful. Lightly toasted coffees acidic?I personally don’t care for them, I find them “stale”tasting and dusty.

Levi X · · Washington · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 63

Taxes are ridiculously high in VT and most of the economy is based on tourism. Personally I wouldn't want to have a business there. Also while the climbing is decent it's not world class by any means.

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730
Levi X wrote:

Taxes are ridiculously high in VT and most of the economy is based on tourism. Personally I wouldn't want to have a business there. Also while the climbing is decent it's not world class by any means.

worked out for green mountain coffee roasters

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Oh I plan on selling loads of sugar too....  I imagine best mountains are between Colorado and Montana?  I would go for a spot in a bigger city that is close to the mountains as well.

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

What size town you looking for? Seems to me most any mountain town that has a decent economy will already have at least 1 roaster? And if the town is seeing enough action, Starbucks will surely be in the future. Is that the sort of town you'd be interested in? Or do you think a town that has no coffee roaster at all, is the way to go? Seems like a big gamble to me but what do I know?

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
Cherokee Nunes wrote:

What size town you looking for? Seems to me most any mountain town that has a decent economy will already have at least 1 roaster? And if the town is seeing enough action, Starbucks will surely be in the future. Is that the sort of town you'd be interested in? Or do you think a town that has no coffee roaster at all, is the way to go? Seems like a big gamble to me but what do I know?

Actually I have been gearing up to open in downtown Charlotte or Greenville.  I have a lot of nice equipment and can provide exceptionally fast service.  I also have 2 nice roasters and a nice theme so I plan on being the most interesting coffee shop wherever I go.  With that being said I'd say the number is near 20k with a good flow of foot traffic and plenty of tourism would be probably be enough for me to come in and set up shop.  I only worry about Starbucks in areas that are just getting their first one.  If they have had one for a while, then its no biggie.  My coffee is way better.

Charles Jonas · · Alpine, WY · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 103

Lander has a couple coffee shops, but no real roasters as far as I know. Population less than 20k but gets a healthy flow of tourist.  

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 280
Charles Jonas wrote:

Lander has a couple coffee shops, but no real roasters as far as I know. Population less than 20k but gets a healthy flow of tourist.  

I was thinking this as well

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

I love Vermont, but Lander is a great little town for climbing & living. 

Sean Post · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 31

Idyllwild, CA only has one real coffee shop in town. While they do roast their own beans, I think there's room for improvement in their offerings.

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Boulder?

chummer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 1,065
Chris Wright wrote:

Boulder?

Boulder is saturated with good coffee between OZO, Boxcar, and several other roasters/shops. And its a super expensive place to live. Fayetteville, WV might be worth exploring. Cheap. Best cragging in the US.

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643


chummer wrote:

Fayetteville, WV might be worth exploring. Cheap. Best cragging in the US.




The NRG really is the best cragging in the US.

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I dunno about WV.  Vancouver Wa?

Ryan K · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I’ll third the Lander suggestion. We don’t have a roaster in town I’m aware of. 2 coffee shops though. Plenty of attendance of the local farmers market. There was someone here roasting and doing subscriptions for local folks. But I believe he’s left town. I think there’s a significant market here for good beans.

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Anyone been to La Grande Oregon? 

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
Ryan K wrote:

I’ll third the Lander suggestion. We don’t have a roaster in town I’m aware of. 2 coffee shops though. Plenty of attendance of the local farmers market. There was someone here roasting and doing subscriptions for local folks. But I believe he’s left town. I think there’s a significant market here for good beans.

Definitely checking out Lander.

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

I have been to La Grande a few times, a nice town. Not too much there and a long drive to get anywhere. I know they have a Dutch bros. a Starbucks & a couple more coffee shops but I don't remember a coffee roaster. They do have a really good Bakery.

Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
Adam Burch wrote:

Which shop are you referring to?

Higher Grounds?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Any Mountain Towns in need of a local Coffee Ro…"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.