Mountain Project Logo

Edelrid TC Pro Dry DuoTec 9.6

Original Post
Jon Rust · · Chesterbrook, PA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Can anyone give me their 2 cents on this rope? (Or Edelrid ropes in general?) It’s a newer model & I can only find a few reviews online.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I've used it, once. Worked perfectly fine. If you get a good deal go for it.

Tan B · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 20

I have it. I love it. I would buy it again.

Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5
Rocket Alchemy · · Louisville, CO · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Christopher W · · OH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Considering buying the same one. Seems like a great company, and if TC backs them, then they must be legit. 

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 2,513
Christopher W wrote:...and if TC backs them, then they must be legit. 

TC is a part owner, so I’m not sure that statement really pencils out.  I’ve had mixed experiences with ederlid’s ropes. (Tho haven’t used this particular model) I bought two swifts for work a little over a year ago and they haven’t proven particularly durable. I replaced one of them with a Canary and am optimistic that the sheath will last longer.  I bought a Topaz last fall for cragging and it seems to be doing well. Ive also used the eco for two+ years of cragging now and that thing is a tank. (but heavy)

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

I have that rope in 70m. The bi pattern is nice, the rope handles pretty well. My only complaint is that the dry treatment makes knots at the ends of the rope want to unravel if not cinched down tight. I bought two and have not regretted that decision.

Christopher W · · OH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Max Tepfer wrote:

TC is a part owner, so I’m not sure that statement really pencils out.  I’ve had mixed experiences with ederlid’s ropes. (Tho haven’t used this particular model) I bought two swifts for work a little over a year ago and they haven’t proven particularly durable. I replaced one of them with a Canary and am optimistic that the sheath will last longer.  I bought a Topaz last fall for cragging and it seems to be doing well. Ive also used the eco for two+ years of cragging now and that thing is a tank. (but heavy)

Wasn’t aware he was part owner. I know they added him to their athlete team. 

Charles DuPont · · Portland, ME · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 118

Have one and love it. I second the complaint about the dry treatment making knots want to come out, but besides that its a great rope

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

Edelrid Anniversary Dry was a great rope but had a tendency get dirty quickly.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Max Tepfer wrote:

TC is a part owner, so I’m not sure that statement really pencils out.

Evidence of this claim? 

Old Prospector · · UT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 147

Can anybody speak to the long term durability of this rope? I am going on two years with my Mammut Infinity 9.5mm, probably about 400 pitches of sport, TR, and trad, it is starting to get fuzzy with some worrisome spots. Would hope to get the same if not better on the next rope and also have my eyes on this Edelrid TC. 

Ryan Sheridan · · Yosemite Village, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35
Philip Nesbitt wrote: Can anybody speak to the long term durability of this rope? I am going on two years with my Mammut Infinity 9.5mm, probably about 400 pitches of sport, TR, and trad, it is starting to get fuzzy with some worrisome spots. Would hope to get the same if not better on the next rope and also have my eyes on this Edelrid TC. 

I have two of these ropes now. The first one lasted over a year for me and is still going strong . I am really hard on my ropes. I’ve hauled on it , fixed it for weeks in bad conditions , jugged over sharp edges, thrown it on the ground and generally beat the crap out of it.  It was designed by TC as a workhorse bigwall rope, and excels at this role . 10/10 would recommend for an everyday beater rope.

z sweep · · north shore, MA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 45

i had it, favorite lead rope ive ever had. all the edelrid ropes ive had are just so supple. 

coppolillo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 70

German made, bluesign approved, great products---I've owned Swifts (dry and eco versions), Topaz, Apus....I'm scheming for a Swift Protect right now, too----great cords. I liked the Topaz the least, but it had a diff weave pattern than the Swift....they've replaced the Topaz with another 9.2...might look into it for sportwanking.....generally psyched on everything Edelrid I've owned......

Emilio Sosa · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 46

Have one and have been very happy with it. My main complaint is that the bipattern is not as apparent as it appears on online photos, so it’s a little tough to quickly spot the middle if its coiled/piled up. That said, I think that’s a pretty minor negative

Buck Rogers · · West Point, NY · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 240

I have one in 70 meters and love it.  

Had it for 1.5 years now and it's been super for all aspects of leading trad and sport but I agree with Emilio that I wish that the bi-pattern weave was a bit more apparent.

Paul Bakker · · San Jose, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 30

I've been using one for the last few weeks. It handles great with a Grigri (not too thick, not too thin) and I love the bi-pattern. It's relatively heavy though, so it wouldn't be my choice for long approaches or long multi pitches, but it's great for an all-round workhorse rope.

Sprinkle McSparklecams · · Bag End, the shire · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 20

Had one as my only rope since summer of ‘18. Been climbing most weekends (mostly trad, lots of rough JT stone) for about 1.5 years with it. I don’t fall a lot and could probably stand to push myself more. I can probably count on five fingers the number of falls this has taken. A good number of second/tr weights. I don’t baby my ropes or put them on tarps. They go right in the dirt/sand because ropes are meant to be used.

It’s fine, kind of on the heavy side, but I don’t really mind. Considering how little I take care of it (with respect to dirt and grit exposure), it has done really well and looks great. It is getting pretty darn fuzzy and I’ve been shopping around for its successor. I thought it was actually rather stiff and had a brief period of a month or so when it felt nice and broken in. Bipattern is nice and I probably won’t go back to middle markers if my budget allows.

Had a Mammut eternity that got lifted before, and had a similar experience. Maybe it’s a dry rope thing. I’m thinking of getting the next one as a non dry coat, but at the same time, I toss my ropes in the sand. I’ve used non dry Mammut and Edelrid ropes that just felt so much better.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Andrew Hurst wrote: Maybe it’s a dry rope thing. I’m thinking of getting the next one as a non dry coat, but at the same time, I toss my ropes in the sand. I’ve used non dry Mammut and Edelrid ropes that just felt so much better.

If you don't like that stiff feeling then definitely try a non-dry rope and spend the savings on getting a rope tarp to throw down at the bottom of those sandy J-tree climbs. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Edelrid TC Pro Dry DuoTec 9.6 "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started