Mountain Project Logo

Knot exam paper... test your current knowledge!

Mark Gommers · · Townsville, Queensland · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

per Ska ggs:

I've been hooked, this troll is 8/10 ... its great... well done. I applaud the effort.

(unsubscribed)
Thanks Ska... by the way, are you referring to yourself?
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

RUN FOR THE HILLS BOYS

There’s an evidence trail!

PWZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
Mark Gommers wrote:
Your posts are a different matter - because they are born out of malice actuated by professional jealousy.

Professional jealousy about a bunch of knots, numbers, and minutae that doesn't matter to 99% of the audience you're attempting to foist them upon to satisfy your ego as a knot enthusiast?

Yeah. #Malificent
x15x15 · · Use Ignore Button · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 275
Mark Gommers wrote: .

Interestingly, I'm getting 'tons' of people who are requesting access to PACI intellectual property (via private communications).
I'll make sure that you never get access.

I call BS! Tons???!!!  LOL... must you use hyperbole when you only get one!?!

Clyde · · Eldo Campground, Boulder CO · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 5

Since Mark is afraid of having his work examined and will no longer share, anyone who has copies of the files, please email me the PDFs. I just would like file 1.Knots, 2.Bowline analysis, and 5.Knot exam.

Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95
per Park Moggers wrote:Jim - the real truth behind your typed words is malice actuated by professional jealousy. You perceive me as a threat.

Jim probably has the grace and good sense not to say this, so I'll say what everyone is thinking: hahahaha.

Hmmm, where were we?
Just catching up on the latest round of insults :)

Ok lets see:

per Clyde:

Since Mark is afraid of having his work examined and will no longer share,
Hello Clyde, this appears to be framed as a statement of fact.
Which words typed on an electronic device leads you to arrive at this conclusion?
Just to set the facts straight - my technical papers are still available for download. There is an application process which is fairly straightforward.
However, the public domain papers are always one or two steps behind the paid private members documents.
I try to update the public domain (ie in the internet space) papers about 4 times a year...

and this:
anyone who has copies of the files, please email me the PDFs. I just would like file 1.Knots, 2.Bowline analysis, and 5.Knot exam.
That would be copyright infringement.
It would be no different to downloading movies or music and then illegally sharing it.
Just curious, do you believe that I am entitled to protect years of hard work - or is that forbidden?

Lets see now.. who else is still slinging insults?

Ahh yes - of course - its Aidan!
Jim probably has the grace and good sense not to say this, so I'll say what everyone is thinking: hahahaha 
Hello Aidan, are you reading challenged?
If you go back and read all of Mr Titt's posts - it is plain and obvious that they are underpinned by malice (with the possible exception of the first one or two).
Can you not see that?
Furthermore, I reply in kind to people who choose to sling insults (like you are doing).
See? I'm replying to your insult right now!
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

New drinking game - take a shot every time MG says "malice".

Ahh yes... Mr Gunkiemike I presume :)

Here is a little knot quiz to spice up your drinking game!

Aidan Raviv · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95
Gunkiemike wrote: New drinking game - take a shot every time MG says "malice".

Shot for "reading challenged"

Shot of beer for any references to keyboards or typing

Sip of beer for every time he says a sentence that could start with "akschualllly"

Finish your beer each time he contradicts himself or uses a word he doesn't understand

Sound fair? 

Been busy...just catching up with latest round of insults....
Now - where were we again??
Ahh yes: Aidan and Gunkiemike! How are you both? All good?
Here are some knot quizzes for you both to ponder over...

Just catching up on latest round of gossip:

Where were we?

Ahhh yes... per Sinropa!

This statement is at odds with your first post stating that you posted it “free, in the public domain.”
Oh dear me SinRopa.
You have found a smoking gun! (refer photo)!

Lets see now - what point are you trying to make now I wonder?
I believe that my technical papers are still available 'free' (as in free of charge) in the public domain.
Are you conflicted in some way?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Mark Gommers wrote: 
Lets see now - what point are you trying to make now I wonder?
I believe that my technical papers are still available 'free' (as in free of charge) in the public domain.
If they're in the public domain, then they can be freely shared and distributed. That's what "public domain" means.
If someone were to share them with others, you said:

"That would be copyright infringement.
It would be no different to downloading movies or music and then illegally sharing it.
Just curious, do you believe that I am entitled to protect years of hard work - or is that forbidden? "
SinRopa is just pointing out this contradiction.
C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Marc covered this, but I think it is important to re state that your password protected documents with hoops to jump through ARE NOT in the public domain and it's ridiculous to think you are sharing with everyone that would benefit from the information

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 160

marc gommers here, youve been swinging yourself from this knot since just about the beginning of the thread...... not sure if youve worn it out or not yet, but hey, ill give you the answer to how to make the knot also, unlike you who cant seem to answer why you refuse to post the answers to the test you posted. could it possibly be that you dont even have the answers?  

Mark Gommers wrote: per Vincent:Was malice the underlying reason why you chose to post such an infantile comment?

To be clear: you know that, in most other countries, you would be immediately fired if you were to engage in such behavior.
Yet you chose to post such a statement. Why? What could possibly motivate you?
It is clear that you are incapable of behaving in an intelligent manner. Your words are incomprehensible. You have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm asking you, do you understand the simple, elementary concepts behind free speech?

Sorry guys...been busy.
Now lets see. Where were we?
Ahh yes - lets check on the latest round of insults, infantile behavior and questionable underlying motives.

Right - first out of the gate we have Marc801  C!
How are you Marc?

Lets try to understand your underlying motive - the very reason as to why you choose to post in this topic thread.
Hmmm.

If they're in the public domain, then they can be freely shared and distributed. That's what "public domain" means.
My work is in the 'public domain'.
They can be freely downloaded (free of cost) for personal use of a non-commercial (not-for-proft) nature.
I choose to restrict the sharing part.
There are some people who walk this Earth who don't deserve to benefit from my hard work - you are an example of one such a person.
Why don't you develop your own technical papers? Then you can share them with whomever you please   

SinRopa is just pointing out this contradiction.        
That's nice of you to point out Mr SinRop's pointing to an alleged contradiction - thanks.
The 'contradiction' is only apparent from the reference point of the observer.
People can in fact access my work free of cost - they simply have to make an application to do.

I have been thinking about removing all of my work from the public domain - and making it a purchase item only.
But, at this stage, I still choose to allow free personal use - provided it complies with the rules I have set (ie personal use only - and not for profit).

New password protection allows us to track who has been issued with what - so we can see who is trying to circumvent and break the rules use of use.
Certainly, I wouldn't want someone such as yourself Marc - to benefit from my hard work.
And by the way - why would you even bother to want my work? ... I can only onsight YDS 5.2 and have never seen snow. My knowledge is therefore irrelevant.

I am considering locking everything down so it is for available for purchase only (in the near future).

Lets see... who else is behaving poorly:

Ahh yes - Mr EFS!
How are you sir? Have we met?

marc gommers here, youve been swinging yourself from this knot since just about the beginning of the thread... 
Really? What prompted you to make such a comment - which part of your brain receives the errant receptor signals to actuate your fingers on your electronic device?

and this comment...

cant seem to answer why you refuse to post the answers to the test you posted. could it possibly be that you dont even have the answers?
Hmmm, this comment seems to be a re-hash of old ground (rinse and repeat).
In the first instance, the concept of a 'refusal' implies that there is something tangible to refuse (right?).
What if there are no 'answers' per se? That is, what if there is no 'answer sheet'?
Even if there was a hypothetical 'answer sheet' - why would I even bother to share it with a person such as yourself?
Do you think you are personally deserving of anything from me?

per SinRopa:

I downloaded it to my work computer, so I’ll get on this first thing Monday AM, and will have it up on this thread for review by the end of the day.
The latest release of the knot exam is VER 2.0 (Nov 01, 2019) and is a 10 MB download.

It has some interesting new questions, along with revisions/improvements to previous content.
Mark Gommers wrote: My work is in the 'public domain'.
They can be freely downloaded (free of cost) for personal use of a non-commercial (not-for-proft) nature.
I choose to restrict the sharing part.
You've said "My work is in the public domain."
The very definition of "public domain" means that you cannot restrict sharing.

"The term “public domain” refers to creative materials that are not protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright, trademark, or patent laws. The public owns these works, not an individual author or artist. Anyone can use a public domain work without obtaining permission, but no one can ever own it."
From: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/

So either your work is in the public domain or it isn't. You've said it is. As such you've relinquished all rights to control its distribution.

There are some people who walk this Earth who don't deserve to benefit from my hard work - you are an example of one such a person.
Your opinion is irrelevant.
Are you conflicted? Why are you so easily triggered when someone disagrees with you?

I have been thinking about removing all of my work from the public domain - and making it a purchase item only.
But, at this stage, I still choose to allow free personal use - provided it complies with the rules I have set (ie personal use only - and not for profit).
Nope. Reread the definition of public domain. It doesn't only mean free.

New password protection allows us to track who has been issued with what - so we can see who is trying to circumvent and break the rules use of use.
Certainly, I wouldn't want someone such as yourself Marc - to benefit from my hard work.
And by the way - why would you even bother to want my work?
I don't want it. As others have said it's basically irrelevant to the majority of climbers.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started