Mountain Project Logo

Is the spring at the base of Half Dome still running?

Original Post
David Ladowitz · · San Francisco · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

I’m looking at going up Half Dome in the next few weeks. Has anyone been up there recently and can confirm if there is water available? I’d rather not have to carry any up to the base.
Thanks

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

After 3 solid winters the last 3 years it definitely is running.

Thanks, Harumpfster, have you been up there or know anyone that has?

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
david ladowitz wrote: Thanks, Harumpfster, have you been up there or know anyone that has?

No.

But the spring has been reliable until late Sept in the worst of the drought years. After the last three wet years it is guaranteed running. There is still water all over the place. Its not yet summer in the high country.
Kyle Kamrath · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

Was up there last weekend - definitely still running

I did the Regar Northwest Face last weekend. The spring was just barely running. A bit dicey as we had to dip into the small pool that was almost still. I wouldn't count on it much longer.

Nick Leiby · · Alexandria, VA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 800

Does anyone who is familiar with this spring know, based on David's report, whether this is actually running low or is normal?

Chuck Parks in this thread describes the spring as:

At the very base where the wall meets the ground, track left about 20 yards or less and you should find the spring. It's a basketball sized depression full of the best water you'll ever taste.

We're hoping to head up next week, and curious how much water we should be dragging with us to the base.

My climbing partner, who had done the route many many times said: "Looks like it's on its last legs".
That was my first time up there, so can't say if that's normal. I got the sense from him it was running low. That was 8/24/2019.

Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 2,415

The spring was still running as of October 4, 2019. We filled up about 8 liters of water and it refilled itself as it trickled in. Bring a filter as there are some plant floaters in it (or use a shirt to pour the water through as another party was doing), but other than that it's great if you know where to find its little pool at the base of the rock.

Isaac Leija · · Salinas, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 35

Confirmed, there's still a Basket Ball sized pool as of 10/13/19.

There's also a Black Totem up for grabs after the tension traverse of pitch 11. Take her on more adventures!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Is the spring at the base of Half Dome still ru…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started