Mountain Project Logo

Where is the climbing community?

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

Wait are vaccines good or bad? I feel like it's a topic that hasn't been covered on the internet much. Can somebody fill me in on if they're good or not?

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654
Brena Guerra wrote:

You did the smart thing. This forum is full of idiots. You seem to be a nice person. I’d climb with you if we lived close.

OP, take her up on it. Just do all the leading and don't ask her to help carry gear and you'll have a great time!

Signed,

Another Idiot
Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Kelly Lawrence wrote: I feel like I clearly missed out on an entertaining thread where Brena opined about the dangers of vaccinating children against infections and deadly diseases. Can someone please link me to the other important threads? Just made some popcorn. 

Someone just resurrected the hall of fame thread, and you should also do a search for this funny thread about getting a dog across a Tyrolean.  :-) 

Klaw Klimbs · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 25
Dan Cooksey wrote:

Someone just resurrected the hall of fame thread, and you should also do a search for this funny thread about getting a dog across a Tyrolean.  :-) 

I appreciate your community service. Thank god for having such a lovely and robust climbing community to help me with my internet entertainment needs. 

cassondra l · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 335

Back to the OP....

You can join a Meetup group if all else fails. Not the best place for finding climbing partners, but all kinds of other outdoor stuff. 

Just another guy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

I will do all the advice here forsure so thanks everyone, but I think I'm gonna duck out of the thread at this point...

Dont get TOO crazy MPers

Logan Hugmeyer · · Salem · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 6
Dan Cooksey wrote: No. Mostly because you can’t live in either of those places In a van.

What you do is drive your ass to Oregon and find Logan Hugmeyer.  You guys can frolic in the woods for days together.

Best of luck. Have fun and be safe. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/117103888/does-anybody-actually-like-to-go-climbing

Thats pretty funny there. 

To the OP. Like others have said make your profile appear like you are a human in a specific area. Real name, real location, real experience level. Then just be persistent. Finding people can be tough but it is possible. The "community" isn't exactly what it seems like sometimes. The days of kinda structured mentor mentee seem like they might be in the past. Hope you find some luck.
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
CO Climber wrote:

Thank you for contributing to the shit show. I’m not bringing any gear with me on my trip to California but I wonder if I can get Roger Brown to let me borrow his gear and stay at his cabin for a bit?  Does he still have one in the Valley these days?

I’m tempted to go up Half Dome and rap bolt that blank spot between the Salathe and Blond Ike. I’ll call it Harumpfster’s Tears. Or maybe Devin’s Fries.  Still undecided. I guess it depends on whether you or Devin honors me with a response first.

Plz do. I like drama. Also you are coming to the the state with the best climbing? Common just admit it ;)

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 174

Sincere response: The internet is toxic, and so is MP to an extent. Best to approach it in fun, post silly stuff for laughs, ask earnest questions but don't expect earnest answers. I've been in Santa Fe a little over a year and a half. I've made one really good friend and partner for climbing in the time I've been here. Have lots of acquaintances and people I see regularly at the crag, but only one real partner. I suppose some other folks that could become community, but distractions get in the way. But that's okay. I'm in it for the long haul. Things happen organically rather than through concentrated effort. You will find community. It will find you.

Choss Connoisseur · · SLC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15
CO Climber wrote:

Thank you for contributing to the shit show. I’m not bringing any gear with me on my trip to California but I wonder if I can get Roger Brown to let me borrow his gear and stay at his cabin for a bit?  Does he still have one in the Valley these days?

I’m tempted to go up Half Dome and rap bolt that blank spot between the Salathe and Blond Ike. I’ll call it Harumpfster’s Tears. Or maybe Devin’s Fries.  Still undecided. I guess it depends on whether you or Devin honors me with a response first.

Can we please turn this into the fries debate the people need that we were tragically cut short on

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
bruno-cx wrote: REI's best move for this online property would be to extract the route information into a printed guide book and then shut it down.

BURN THE HERETIC!

Ron O wrote:
Where is the climbing community? They are making me wait on line for routes I named!
You want a vision of the climbing community?

This is your community.
Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 21

Here's a thought, Just Another Guy. Where do you climb? Chances are there's an "LCA"--local climbing affiliate--of the Access Fund in your area. Go to the AF website and find out who it is, then check it out. Your LCA is made up of climbers (duh) and it probably always needs volunteers. Go volunteer. Spend some time with other climbers doing things that help climbers and their crags. Get to know them, arrange some climbing dates, and find a mentor or two. THAT's your community.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Funny, as soon as I start thinking MP is getting boring another basket case reappears and makes my day! 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

The "community", whatever that means, is definitely owned by the trolls since the lemmings keep posting in our threads!

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 174
Brena Guerra wrote:

I wish I could believe in this. I’ve tried... Nothing that I have achieved has happened naturally. Everything has been a concentrated effort. A very concentrated effort, I must say. This is particularly true in my pursue of climbing. I’m a strong believer in concentrated effort, going hard after it and making it happen. But then I also have faith, however, I believe faith without deed is dead.

Brena: I certainly understand that perspective, and I make efforts. I guess I mean that for me, the things that have lasted are the things that happened on their own. I think there's a balance between effort and letting things happen. I am happy to have my good friend Nuttaphol. Out of my efforts over a year and a half, he is what has lasted. Cheers.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
CO Climber wrote:

How can someone write so much and say absolutely nothing at all?

Agree..... but I just wish to comment on something you wrote pages ago. 

You might have “The Diamond” CA has - well to much to list..... 
grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Brena Guerra wrote:

For instance, I’m going to do a big climb at the end of July that I have been literally moving the earth and the heavens to make it happen. 

Brena, what climb are you going to do?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Where is the climbing community?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started