Mountain Project Logo

Does ANYBODY actually like to go climbing?

Justin B · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 25

There's a Portland climbing facebook group with almost 3,500 members. As well as a meetup group with over 1,000 members. You could find a new climbing buddy today if you wanted to...  All my climbing partners I found within an hour posting a single sentence to our local fb climbing pages. 

Logan Hugmeyer · · Salem · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 6
Justin B wrote: There's a Portland climbing facebook group with almost 3,500 members. As well as a meetup group with over 1,000 members. You could find a new climbing buddy today if you wanted to...  All my climbing partners I found within an hour posting a single sentence to our local fb climbing pages. 

Not on Facebook. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Life advice: Whiners never find climbing partners.

Thanks for all the input. The serious, the humorous, and the snooty. I get that I came across as salty, bitchy, narcissistic etcetera. Some of you were helpful and that does mean a lot to me. I really do love getting outside and its just really frustrating that i havent been able to go do that safely when im solo. Learning to belay well also doesnt work very well solo...I guess ill keep hammering away at some of the stuff ive been trying and try some new stuff that I wasnt aware of. Thanks.

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

The Manzamas are always looking to add, and educate members....

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930
Logan Hugmeyer wrote: Kind of a rant here but im frustrated with the climbing community. We talk about "shirt off our backs" being a close knit community, blah blah blah. If you are a novice you will remain a novice because every time you ask people to climb they are "sooooo busy" then they post a trip report the next weekend. How do you find somebody to actually go outside and climb. People told me buy your own rope. Done. No partners. Start building a rack to contribute to the party. Done. No partners. Go to the climbing gym and talk to people face to face. Done. They look at me like a leper. What am I doing wrong? I really would love to be a belay bitch even but im not part of the community so i will remain not a part of the community. Is it always so damn cliquey? Ive been asking climbers to go climbing since 2015 and 1 person has said yes. Not an exaggeration ONE person. Getting close to selling my shit and taking up needle point. In the off chance that somebody here reads this im in the willamette valley and willing to drive about an hour to climb. Hell I've even offered to buy the beer.

New people are usually the ones that kill ya. You can peruse this site alone and figure that out within moments.  I like to see how folks belay before I get stuck outside with them in a deadly situation. I do violate that rule on occasion but it's rare. Speaking only for myself here. Not saying I won't climb with you, but it's a slow process for me. Here's the facebook site noted up thread, definatly check in here. Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174614812705922/?ref=bookmarks​​​
Billcoe wrote:

New people are usually the ones that kill ya. You can peruse this site alone and figure that out within moments.  I like to see how folks belay before I get stuck outside with them in a deadly situation. I do violate that rule on occasion but it's rare. Speaking only for myself here. Not saying I won't climb with you, but it's a slow process for me. Here's the facebook site noted up thread, definatly check in here. Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174614812705922/?ref=bookmarks

Live in Salem, work in Portland. Not on Facebook. 

Justin B wrote:

Based on this response I get the feeling you're just an unlikable person that enjoys complaining about his problems on the internet. Good luck

I have a family and a career and I don't prioritize the time for social media. Come climb with me and find out. 

Used 2climb · · Far North · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0
Justin B wrote:

Based on this response I get the feeling you're just an unlikable person that enjoys complaining about his problems on the internet. Good luck

Not on Facebook either. Some of us aren't gossip grannies.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Finding a reliable long-term partner can indeed be difficult. There are many different variables that need to match up to each other’s mutual satisfaction... age, personality, gender, location, schedule, level of dedication, level of experience, safety tolerance and vision, goals, trad v sport v bouldering v alpine et al, and so on. You will likely run through a number of partners until you find one or two who become your steady go-to mates. There are many good suggestions in the previous posts so you have resources. Another idea I’ll mention (and where I have met my current partners) is to take a group class from the local mountain club, community college, university, rock gym, or guide service—anchor building, self-rescue, trad intro, bouldering techniques, whatever might suit you at your level. You have a good chance of meeting like-minded people there. (Yes, classes at different places can vary tremendously in quality—beware. But, your real goal is to meet and interact with people. They get to see who you are and vice versa in a climbing environment.)

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Any chance you want to climb this weekend?  I'm in Portland I could head down south or you could pop up here. I have similar problems finding people. My usual people would rather take crappy yoga classes or tr in the gym than actually climb most days.

Anyways hit me up let's get out on some rocks.

Cara Hubbell · · Arvada, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 107

In Colorado we have meetup groups that don't require a partner. You just sign up, show up, and make friends. For me, now that I have a core team I climb with regularly, I'm way less willing to search for partners or respond yes to requests to climb with strangers. You just gotta get that one person, and go from there. I've had zero problems finding people to climb outside with, so maybe consider your tone when posting or replying to people. If you seem really friendly and safe and cool to hang out with, people are more likely to be on board :)

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Self reflection and a bit of introspective analysis might be useful.

Brad Larson · · portland · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

I've been on 3 outdoor climbing meetups in the past 2 months via climb matrix. At least 2 of the 3 had open spaces for more folks. Climbed, had fun, met climbers.

Still looking for more partners though who are interested in cruising easy & moderate routes around portland. Trying to get my lead head back and systems up to speed after a decade long layoff.

Rokjox Teleski · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15
"Lady H"
Five years in, I have yet to have anyone hit me up via the partner finder. I've paticipated in the forums (understatement) and now have invites all over the country, and real friends from MP.

From the start, I have responded to almost every post in the makedo forum where people post who are looking for partners in Boise. In town for business, wanna climb sorta things. I've also posted myself. That's much, much more specific. I have also begged and offered bribes in the past, with no local response. It's simply tough, when you are new.

You had no problem turning me down.
JP S · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
Logan Hugmeyer wrote: . They look at me like a leper. 

Did you confirm that you do not, in fact, have leprosy? I've found it's always good to let people know one way or the other...

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Rokjox Teleski wrote:

He's back!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Rokjox Teleski wrote:

You had no problem turning me down.

Are you the 'small fingers' figure from Helen's past?

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

They're just not that into you bro.

Bitd you moved to Yosemite for the summer and made the scene in Camp 4. If you didn't make friends you went and soloed Zodiac instead of crying about it.

/endthread

Ben Pellerin wrote: Any chance you want to climb this weekend?  I'm in Portland I could head down south or you could pop up here. I have similar problems finding people. My usual people would rather take crappy yoga classes or tr in the gym than actually climb most days.

Anyways hit me up let's get out on some rocks.

I could get out friday afternoon this week. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Does ANYBODY actually like to go climbing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started