Mountain Project Logo

GUNKS: WORK-TRADE BIVVY SPOTS

Original Post
Basil T · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 0

So here’s the deal:

My partner and I are sitting on the slopes of Millbrook Mountain (10 minute drive to the Trapps). It’s a wild and beautiful place with a lot to manage and care for – leaving us with less and less climb time. This got us thinking…

We have no interest in being a campground but we do have an interest in meeting good folks and hosting guests willing to throw down and contribute to some land maintenance and projects.

POTENTIAL PROJECTS/RELATED TASKS INCLUDE:

• Trail building/maintenance
  • Bouldering (establishing, cleaning, etc.)
  • Tree work/brush clearing
  • Road maintenance (filling potholes, etc.)
  • Firewood (splitting, stacking)
  • Pulling invasive/weeds
  • Gardening
  • Forest grown mushrooms
  • Honey bees and beekeeping
  • Maple syrup
  • Painting/staining
  • Tool care/maintenance
  • Playing fetch/stick with our dog
In exchange for a couple hours of work we offer a bivvy spot with access to stream water (filter or treat yourself) and an outhouse. Follow leave-no-trace. Garbage is pack in/pack out unless you want to cover the cost per bag at the dump. There’s no power or any other amenities as we’re off the grid in a small cabin. Must be cool with dogs as our dog roams freely off-leash.

DM me with your phone and email if interested. Please include what you would most like to contribute/learn about/offer or anything else you would like to share. Our plan is to hit folks back with some work dates as they come up but let us know if you’ve got a particular time that would work best for you.

*Radically inclined climbers are encouraged to reach out. Those in support of “Trumps America” need not apply. We don’t tolerate that shit.
chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535

+1 for Basil's spot: a rad couple and a mind-blowing location...

Simon Thompson · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 890

This is a wonderful idea and especially a nice alternative to the current camping situation near the Gunks. Will pass this along if I hear of anyone in need 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Saved In case anyone has memory issues & wants to know who's who, Same guy who thinks that JP&WR Grace & my sweet ole` dad*,  were being altruistic in the way they went about bringing the world  Vermiculite. . .Edit; {did not apply to  gtluke,} 

gtluke wrote: thanks for including your virtue signaling so we know that you're a close minded shithead.

* My dad, (shared the patent) was one of the foremost proponents for decades, till he died from an Esophageal Tumor. If you have time Google, Libby Montana.... 

Brought to by the Nazty communists to re-elect the illegitimate criminal,  Make America polluted again!  

If you wonder why there  are starving bears in your garbage & up on the ledges, it is the lack of hornet Larva in last years rotting debris.  

Thanks be - that de-regulation has allowed spraying in the orchards again
gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1
Suburban Roadside wrote: Saved In case anyone has memory issues & wants to know who's who, Same guy who thinks that JP Grace & my sweet ole` dad*,  were being altruistic in the way they went about bringing the world  Vermiculite. . . "We Love the Un-educated"

* My dad, (shared the patent) was one of the foremost proponents for decades, till he died from an Esophageal Tumor. If you have time Google, Libby Montana.... Make America polluted again

vermiculite is for real. friable and dangerous for installers and homeowners. Not the same for exhaust gaskets. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Hey! Glad you responded while I was on-line. I'm aware of what your position on the effective benefits of Asbestos  in fire/heat protection/retardation are & agree with you on many issues.
But not on the illegitimate criminal & thief
Edit: you do seem educated, His cult, does not equal half of society
."Voting Habits" that belie significant character flaws, exhibiting a clear indication of a misguiding value system.
  The electoral college & russian intervention along with Violations of The Emoliants Clause & Oath of Office,
With Treasonous  Conspiracy & obstruction of justice - bought him his place...
   Glad to bump this & keep at the top of the page,

@ B,Kirby? (ADK~)}=,J]SzT] would Smax Ya`

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1
Suburban Roadside wrote: Hey! Glad you responded while I was on-line. I'm aware of what your position on the effective benefits of Asbestos  in fire/heat retardation & agree with you on many issues.
But not on the illegitimate criminal & thief

I've never espoused my political beliefs, only that I think that writing off half of society because their voting habits are different than yours is gross and intolerant.  And bragging about your intolerance? yuck. 

But you want to know my political affiliation sugar? Well I howl at the moon.
Rob D · · Queens, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30

wow supertopo really is leaking into MP huh?

Sawyer W · · NH · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Can we stop bickering over irrelevant stuff?

Thank you to Basil for this offer, I will be in contact soon when I make it out that way

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

This is awesome.  Great thread, sweet offer, it makes me happy.

Matt Wetmore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 504

Will this offer still stand in fall?

Basil T · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 0
Matt Wetmore wrote: Will this offer still stand in fall?

That’s the plan. 

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

To the OP, if I still needed a place to stay I would beg a friend who, BTW lives in Gardiner, for a spot in her yard. She’s super cool, super friendly climber that let this fat gumby tag along with her and/or her group of friends. She showed me around the Trapps, taught me how to read a route how to on sight... She checked my placements after I whined about being unsure. I’m pretty sure she’s conservative but never asked. After reading this I’m glad something as trivial as politics didn’t ruin a friendship with such a great person.

At least think about what I wrote before you ruin countless potentially lifelong friendships over one thing.

Schalk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 15

I already have a place up there, so won't need the bivvy spot... but might have to take you up on the playing fetch with your dog one day. :)

And amusing to see all the conservatives clutching their bosoms and swooning towards their feinting couches. Hell of a lot of snowflakes in the air for an 80 degree day. 

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

that’s an awesome offer!

Derrick Lindsay · · Martinez, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 61

+1 for Basil's climber spot. Amazing location and a stellar couple!! Highly recommended

Rob Mahoney · · Central NJ and DAKS · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

It’s a shame politics were brought into this. Would have willingly shared countless days on my log splitter and well just about anything on your list just for some people to climb with and gain experience but I guess I shouldn’t apply because of who or who I didn’t vote for.SMH....

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730
Rob Mahoney wrote: It’s a shame politics were brought into this. Would have willingly shared countless days on my log splitter and well just about anything on your list just for some people to climb with and gain experience but I guess I shouldn’t apply because of who or who I didn’t vote for.SMH....

you voted to kill the environment, full stop. 

Rob Mahoney · · Central NJ and DAKS · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
petzl logic wrote:

you voted to kill the environment, full stop. 

Assuming makes an ass out of both you and me wouldn’t you say? 

Dan.G. yorlig · · Hollywood, Ca · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Rob Mahoney wrote:

Assuming makes an ass out of both you and me wouldn’t you say? 

Plenty of gumbies own log splitters. Private land use typically comes with terms and conditions.  

Nathan Flaim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Basil!   And Basil’s partner!

This is an amazing offer.
I love to run my saws and split firewood darn near as much as I love putting up easy trad lines.  I will definitely be in touch prior to my next trip up to NY.  Start thinking of stuff you need cut down/cut up/hauled around.  

Nate. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "GUNKS: WORK-TRADE BIVVY SPOTS"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started