Mountain Project Logo

GUNKS: WORK-TRADE BIVVY SPOTS

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Eric Marx wrote:

It's not so much what you vote for, but what you vote against, which might be a massive overreach of federal land-grabbing powers, while showing a trust and support in private citizens to do the right thing with their privately owned land. The beloved gunks is one of the most well-maintained(look at the stairmaster! just look at it! now keep walking), safe(rescue 20 seconds out) and accessible(a road runs through here?) climbing areas in the northeast, and that's because of responsible PRIVATE land-owners doing as they see fit with their land.

Discriminate against trump supporters all you want, your inability to have a conversation and your intolerance to viewpoints which may differ from yours are a reflection on you, not on those eviillllll trump supporters.

Eric, I don't have time & you would need to be a property owner along a contestable boundary(s) to grasp the issues....                                                                                                                                    But                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                You just proved that you have absolutely no idea what the history shows the landowner of the Gunks has been doing, Nor the history of abuse of resource when "Grand Lands" are left in private ownership.

Edit: I Took The Time!
I know better than to try but you have no idea what you are talking about.

You, We, All, the common peasants, are kept from 90% of the best places,

while being herded like sheep, into 1 or 2 ever-shrinking over-crowded,
 harder than it needs to be to get to ,
 polished by guided Top Roping  ~ climbing areas.

Have you seen Sky Top? or The Sun Bowl?
How about The Ice Caves & Cliffs at Sams Point?
just one, in the miles of ridges
 Have you climbed out at Gertrudes Nose? or past there?
The Pamagat Ravine?.(wow! stripped from Google search!)

You should get to them  -  while you still can!

Listen up Sisters & Brothers (~)}=9  you need to go take some long walks & see what you are kept away from!

As proof that there is duplicity in the "good" deeds undertaken & enforced by proxy of the landowner, I offer this most recent update to a little known fact
that should call in to question the reason for the continuation of some areas being "closed"
There is no food source to support raptor populations since The (Allegheny)Woodrat has gone extinct along the Shawangunk Ridge in the 1980s.

.  .  .  .  on 9 September 1991. Each animal was closely monitored. Within a year, all the released animals, including offspring,
notably, “the first documented in the Shawangunks since 1980–81”, had died.

With the die-off of The(Allegheny), Woodrat many other species have gone into steep decline along the Shawangunk Ridge.
Including snakes & most of the other small rodents that Raptors depended on for food resources.

The agents of/for the Preserve were found to be complicit in taking actions to attempt to rob/defraud property owners...
& ordered to pay damages/reparations to the rightful owners of the property. . . .
( there were other property owners who claim similar treatment)

Yikes !
I have not kept up with the never ending saga!
 the last time I checked was in 2015, when the bogus deeds were exposed.
Now it seems that the evil empire has worked its corrupt influence again & is poised  to pull off another Ice Caves/Sam's Point

See Fink/ Pardini Vs Mohonk Preserve Et. Al. 
&
so that you can get just a glimpse of the sort of things
 that many other property owners have said they have succumbed to
See the Google search page
28 Years of fighting to retain their property 

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730
Eric Marx wrote:

It's not so much what you vote for, but what you vote against, which might be a massive overreach of federal land-grabbing powers, while showing a trust and support in private citizens to do the right thing with their privately owned land. The beloved gunks is one of the most well-maintained(look at the stairmaster! just look at it! now keep walking), safe(rescue 20 seconds out) and accessible(a road runs through here?) climbing areas in the northeast, and that's because of responsible PRIVATE land-owners doing as they see fit with their land.

Discriminate against trump supporters all you want, your inability to have a conversation and your intolerance to viewpoints which may differ from yours are a reflection on you, not on those eviillllll trump supporters.

he said supporters of ‘trumps america’, i’m sure we will see lots of people swing back that don’t like the tire fire going in the oval office. and those people are probably welcome to help out. 

George Elias · · Boulder · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

'Merica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Basil do you own the talus slope above your land, i.e.can you hike directly up to climb at Millbrook? That would make this offer that much more intriguing.

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

Oh internet.......

Basil T · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 0
SethG wrote: Basil do you own the talus slope above your land, i.e.can you hike directly up to climb at Millbrook? That would make this offer that much more intriguing.

Yes. There are boulders and cliffs on the land.

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17
Basil T wrote:

Yes. There are boulders and cliffs on the land.

couple years tardy my friend

oldfattradguuy kk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 170

It’s actually the sun bulge (aka slant right) , or was in the 80’s when many of the routes were put up… 

given the choice of living below millbrook or Libby, I’ll take Libby, Millbbrook is awesome but the Cabinets..and Turner is a bit less crowded then Hunta and actually has powder.

too bad the rat house doesn’t exist anymore, an impressive array of climbers used to bivi there. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
oldfattradguuy kk wrote:

It’s actually the sun bulge (aka slant right) , or was in the 80’s when many of the routes were put up… 

given the choice of living below millbrook or Libby, I’ll take Libby, Millbbrook is awesome but the Cabinets..and Turner is a bit less crowded then Hunta and actually has powder.

too bad the rat house doesn’t exist anymore, an impressive array of climbers used to bivi there. 

You’re writing in code. Care to translate?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "GUNKS: WORK-TRADE BIVVY SPOTS"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started