Mountain Project Logo

Acreage for sale inside Joshua Tree National Park

Original Post
plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

My jaw dropped after looking at this listing.  Is this the property that is right across from the Hemmingway parking lot? They say money can't buy happiness, but I am debating that one today.   

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Park-Blvd-Joshua-Tree-CA/2087305831_zpid/?fullpage=true

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Pretty tempting - home + 10 acres in Joshua Tree National Park.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Yea looks like the Cohn Property across from Hemmingway. I would be surprised if that property is actually for sale, I would have guessed that the grandfathering in that allowed them to keep the property might force it to stay in the family. If not I would have guessed the NPS would try to take ownership.

EDIT: I think I'm wrong, and the owners are free to sell as they like. Interesting regardless.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
JKeller wrote: Access Fund, please use our money to purchase this property  and provide climber camping in JTNP.

That sounds great but the development restrictions on the private inholding would probably be as great or even worse than the NPS actually doing it. 

Sean Post · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 31

Just called the Access Fund and sent an email to the AAC about this apprising them of this. What a dream climber camping in the park would be. 

Jeff Sewell · · Monterey Park, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

There is a distinct possibility I toss my hat in the ring.
Park that climber van I've always dreamed about on those 10 acres and bask in it....

Or..  

Not.

Russ Walling wrote: Not the cohn property.... and I have an over asking bid in already....  AirBnB heaven!

Wow, good for you, hope you get it. What a rare opportunity.

wwwcochiseclimbing com · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 140

Does anyone know who bought the property?

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
www.cochiseclimbing.com wrote: Does anyone know who bought the property?

Hard to find info

https://www.purplebricks.com/detail/homes-for-sale/california/san-bernardino-joshua-tree-qvk845
the listings don't have a parcel #, but I believe it is 739-180-004 and -003 or it could be -001 and -002 - each of those parcels is 5 acres, annoying that the MLS listing didn't include APNs. -001 and -002 had the same mailing address, so likely same owner and that points to the 10 acre listing.
Took a while to find it, but I'm pretty sure - look here to see:
https://assr.parcelquest.com/Home/Index 

You can call the Riverside County Assessor's office and see if they provide owner info over the phone - otherwise you have to go in person to pull a deed. Varies by County likely. They should provide recent sales / transfer dates and that would narrow down the APN for certain, then you can keep digging. 

I'd be surprised if the buyer used their real name. 

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

starbucks bought the property,  they gonna open a location there.   it's not park property,  so they can do what they want. they are going to sublease a spot to KFC for a drive thru too.

Sandy Reynolds · · Yuba City, CA · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

I own property in Joshua Tree national park almost where you are describing

Sandy Reynolds wrote: I own property in Joshua Tree national park almost where you are describing

I guess Mountain Project has a dating thread after all.

Here's an interesting article about the history of private property in the park. A doctoral student is creating a comprehensive report about this subject. Hopefully it will contain info about this recent sale. It makes me wonder if this plot has road access. The price tag looks much less favorable if there is no parking space. I guess it would be a nice backcountry getaway regardless.

plantmandan wrote: Here's an interesting article about the history of private property in the park. A doctoral student is creating a comprehensive report about this subject. Hopefully it will contain info about this recent sale. It makes me wonder if this plot has road access. The price tag looks much less favorable if there is no parking space. I guess it would be a nice backcountry getaway regardless.

The plot in question had road access. What it didn't have was water or power. But that's not a deal killer for a lot of cool uses. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Acreage for sale inside Joshua Tree National Park"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started