Mountain Project Logo

Whitney- where to acclimatize?

Original Post
Mashanya · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

I'm, going to Mt Whitney early June, have permits to mountaineers route, but since i live at 0 elevation I would prefer to acclimate before. Planning to spend 1 night at Iceberg lake. Looking for some fun (not too long) summits or easy climbing at elevation on the 2 days I will be there before heading to Whitney. Probably something 10-12k ft. Don't want to add too much driving and going from Los Angeles, so Yosemite is not on the way. Can anyone who know the area point me to anything like that? Something that doesn't require additional permits.

Ben Ha · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

You can drive right up to horseshoe meadow camp which is at 10k

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622

Personally, I would get rested 5 days before attempting Whitney. If the Horseshoe Meadows Road was open you could go up there and spend a couple of nights at 10K ft. Or drive to Mosquito Flat out of Tom's Place and do the same thing - sleep at the backpackers camp at 10K ft. But Tom's Place is another hour or so north on 395.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Whitney Portal Campground? My guess is that it's totally booked, but I leave the checking to the OP.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232123

I will figure out where to sleep, was looking for things to do durring day. Resting at 10k for 2 days is strange option with that many nice mountains around. Would better hike or climb.

Jonny d · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 40

Agree with Ben and Chris.  Acclimatize for a couple of days using Horseshoe Meadows as base.

awolf · · New York, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 15

We hiked up Telescope Peak in Death Valley which is about 11k. Good variety and great views.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Go to the bristlecone pines in the White Mountains. The trees are at 11,000 and you can go up to White Mountain Peak. That's another 14er. Horsehoe Meadows is a great place to go if the road is open. Sometimes it's not because of snow and/or landslides.

Whitney Portal is a fantastic spot with good sport climbing and other hikes you can do in addition to the Whitney Trail. 

Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 395

Mt Shasta! If you can handle going up there then Whitney will be easy.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Mashanya wrote: I will figure out where to sleep, was looking for things to do durring day. Resting at 10k for 2 days is strange option with that many nice mountains around. Would better hike or climb.

You have many choices of days hikes to do while acclimating. You could hike to New Army Pass or Kearsarge Pass. You have endless options. Get out a map and pick.

Edit: In June, most day hikes to higher elevations will still have plenty of snow. Prepare accordingly.
Seth Bleazard wrote: Mt Shasta! If you can handle going up there then Whitney will be easy.

Climbed mt. Shasta few years ago. Really? Why not Denaly then to acclimatize for Whitney? 

awolf wrote: We hiked up Telescope Peak in Death Valley which is about 11k. Good variety and great views.

Was looking at it too. Isn't it too hot there at June? 

Adios, Supertopo! wrote: Don't sleep at iceberg.  Sleep at Upper Boyscout or on the way up to Iceberg (green circle,) you'll likely have a better time.  Just leave a little earlier from your camp.

Curious to hear your experience that makes you advise this option? Doing E. Buttress later in the summer and it's helpful to hear. Is it just so you don't have to sleep so high the night before the climb?

Señor Arroz wrote: Go to the bristlecone pines in the White Mountains. 

Looks beautiful, but it's another 1:30 drive one way. Where are sports climbing from Whitney portal and does that area requires a permit? 

Adios, Supertopo! wrote: Don't sleep at iceberg.  Sleep at Upper Boyscout or on the way up to Iceberg (green circle,) you'll likely have a better time.  Just leave a little earlier from your camp.

Also curious why? Just because it's easier to sleep lower, or because of specific conditions there? 

Mashanya wrote:

Looks beautiful, but it's another 1:30 drive one way. Where are sports climbing from Whitney portal and does that area requires a permit? 

Sport climbing in WP. 

If it's really 1:30 to the bristlecones I'm surprised. But it's an amazing drive. And you can camp up near there. 

awolf · · New York, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 15
Mashanya wrote:

Was looking at it too. Isn't it too hot there at June? 

We did it over July 4th years ago and it was fine because you're high enough. We camped at one of the many spots on the road that leads up to the trailhead if I remember correctly and it was fairly pleasant.

Adios, Supertopo! wrote:

I've been up that drainage more than I care to admit, and I also live at sea level.  Everyone's system is different, but I personally felt better (from better sleep) the trips I didn't sleep up above 12,000.  However, I normally would leave from work and drive up, sleep at the portal, and then sleep at Iceberg.  If the OP is screwing around high up for a few days prior, it may be more pleasant.  UBSL is my first choice for high camp when I'm over there, for most things.  It's nice when there is a lot of snow, as you won't be confined to the normal bivy spots wherever you pick.

Yeah, my Whitney ritual is to drive LA to Whitney Portal. Camp there. Sleep the next day up high. I can see the wisdom in sleeping lower if the additional hike in the AM isn't bad. 

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622

Not an option if she has a permit for a certain hike in day.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Chris Owen wrote:

Not sure I understand this. The permit doesn't require you to camp at a specific location. You do have to use it for the specific days on the permit.  Can you clarify?

Chris Owen wrote:

I have a permit for 2 night actually, as a backup, for mountaineers route. So it is an option. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Whitney- where to acclimatize?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started