Mountain Project Logo

Draws stolen of China Doll

Original Post
Corey Flynn · · Beattyvillain · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 170

I was recently made aware that a friend of mine had his draws stolen off the first pitch of CHina Doll over the weekend. I am speaking up for my friend and asking if anybody knows anything about this. Whether or not you agree with leaving fixed draws in place in an area mostly only visited by climbers, resorting to theft over posting to have them removed is not ok. My friend is a reasonable person and would have been ok with taking them down if they bothered somebody. Thank you if you can help.

Corey Flynn

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

so was it fixed (steel link to bolts) or draws (carabiners on both ends)?

big difference.

George Foster · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 12

Doesn't it go on gear?  Draws are aid?

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Tim Lutz wrote: so was it fixed (steel link to bolts) or draws (carabiners on both ends)?

big difference.

Yes, one requires the thief do nothing more than unclip, the other requires the thief have a wrench. Big difference.

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
George Foster wrote: Doesn't it go on gear?  Draws are aid?

but front range gym millennial needs dat 'fixed gear' to send?!

call the Waaaah-mbulance

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Wait wait this might be a new problem...
Project draws left on the first pitch of a multi pitch? And they’re gone....wierd.

Ben Cooper · · Chatt · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 36
George Foster wrote: Doesn't it go on gear?  Draws are aid?

No George.  Draws are not aid; they are protection.  Don't even know why I'm answering this question.   

Tim Lutz wrote:

but front range gym millennial needs dat 'fixed gear' to send?!

call the Waaaah-mbulance

I wonder if you watched the video and noticed that the bolts are clipped as directionals for toproping and in situ for Heather's initial attempts at leading the route?

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

Oh, this is going to be a good one...

mediocre wrote: Wait wait this might be a new problem...
Project draws left on the first pitch of a multi pitch? And they’re gone....wierd.

First of all, China Doll as it is most typically climbed, really is not a multi-pitch route.  Second, if one were to contest that point, the draws were on the "second" pitch.  Third, projecting gear left temporarily on a multi-pitch climb is not "a new problem," but a relatively common practice.

Todd R · · Vansion, CO / WY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 40

Jesus.

The people posting on this thread clearly have no idea the amount of effort that goes in to climbing a climb like this.

Hope your friend gets their draws back!

Stealing gear is bad. As is defending the people who do it. 

ABB · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0

Good grief, kids, if it ain't yours, don't take it. If your buddy is a practitioner of cleansing draws, talk to them. Or stop climbing with them. Let's not tolerate this.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Can I also work a route on someone else's draws, if they are left on the route?
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Ben Cooper wrote:

First of all, China Doll as it is most typically climbed, really is not a multi-pitch route.  Second, if one were to contest that point, the draws were on the "second" pitch.  Third, projecting gear left temporarily on a multi-pitch climb is not "a new problem," but a relatively common practice.

First of all you said it, “typically not” but not never ever ever climbed as a multi pitch climb. Second of all the OP states “first pitch” so I was forced to take him at his word. Third, projecting draws is a relatively common practice, just like those draws being cleaned or stolen and then someone bitching about it on MP and starting another 10 page thread of dead horse beating. He may as well have asked if he should buy a Tacoma or a Subaru. 

What these threads are really about is that someone is pissed that someone got their project and took home a few new used draws as a trophy.
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Buncha 5.9 chuffers saying too bad braj I ninja'd your draws itsa trad route har har hur hur.

I'm thinking the Mayor of Apricot Dome is to blame or one of his sub lieutenants...

https://www.climbing.com/people/unsent-why-im-gonna-chop-the-bolts-on-adam-ondras-silence-5-15d/

Draw thiefs are pretty much the bottom of the climbing barrel up there with wag bag leaver-behind-ers.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Are you sure an angry owl didn't take them?

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Señor Arroz wrote: Are you sure an angry owl didn't take them?

Who?

Justin Winger · · Wheat Ridge · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 10

I fore one approve of the draws being removed as I prefer to climb my projects on my own draws and find them to be a nuisance that's in my way.

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Justin Winger wrote: I fore one approve of the draws being removed as I prefer to climb my projects on my own draws and find them to be a nuisance that's in my way.

These draws were certainly not in your way.

Todd R · · Vansion, CO / WY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 40
mediocre wrote: What these threads are really about is that someone is pissed that someone got their project and took home a few new used draws as a trophy.

Given the nature of the route in question, it is next to impossible that this is what happened.

Justin Winger · · Wheat Ridge · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 10
Phil Lauffen wrote:

These draws were certainly not in your way.

You are most certainly wrong as it is one of my projects. I didn't take your draws but if I had been there and they were on it they would be laying at the base of the climb now.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Draws stolen of China Doll"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started