Mountain Project Logo

Favorite alpine summer pants

Original Post
GDodds dodds · · Portland Maine · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

What’s everyone’s favorite pants for the high country in summertime? Thinking about upgrading my dungarees 

Nate A · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Mar 2003 · Points: 70

Check out the Marmot Scree Pants.  These have served me well for several seasons of alpine rock fun!  I like the zippers on the lower legs.  Zip them down for the approach to keep the debris out of your shoes then open up the zipper and roll them up for optimal foot viewing while climbing.  

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Any pants that are light colored, stretchy, fit well, and don't abrade the low back under a pack. "High Country" is a pretty vague term, are you doing Katahdin, 14ers, Tolumne, Bugaboos? All pretty different conditions. All the normal players make something that will work great if it fits you.

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181
Linnaeus wrote: Any pants that are light colored, stretchy, fit well, and don't abrade the low back under a pack. "High Country" is a pretty vague term, are you doing Katahdin, 14ers, Tolumne, Bugaboos? All pretty different conditions. All the normal players make something that will work great if it fits you.

This. Fit is the most important consideration, so it doesn't restrict movement. A good fit in the waist is equally critical, I don't want to have to wear a belt under my harness. My personal favorite is the Black Diamond BDV pants.

Christian Edstrom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Mammut Courmayeur are great.  Stretchy, breathable, durable. 

GDodds dodds · · Portland Maine · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0
Linnaeus wrote: Any pants that are light colored, stretchy, fit well, and don't abrade the low back under a pack. "High Country" is a pretty vague term, are you doing Katahdin, 14ers, Tolumne, Bugaboos? All pretty different conditions. All the normal players make something that will work great if it fits you.

One pant to rule them all?

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Arcteryx gamma rock are awesome if you can find a pair.  But they replaced them with another pant. 

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240

gamma lt's for me... I love those pants.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

Nothing more liberating than those nice summer days climbing with no pantalones on!

Meredith E. · · Bainbridge Island, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5

Outdoor Research Ferrosi

Callan Kerns · · New London, CT · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 26

I have been a long time fan of prana for my climbing pants here in CO. Finally just put a hole in the knee of my 3 year old pair. I like the new straight cut Zion. They are water resistant (surprisingly so) and stretchy and the new straight cut ones are less baggy in the ankles. I just picked up a few pair of OR Ferrosi's and I dig them. The fit is good and they are a lot thinner than the pranas. So I'm assuming worse durability but better in the summer!

Adam S · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 140

I have a few pairs of the OR ferossi crag pants and like them.  However , if they get wet, the weight of the water in them will really stetch the fabric and make them huge until they dry.  Like annoyingly huge since the fabric is so stretchy.

Meredith E. · · Bainbridge Island, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5
Callan Kerns wrote: I have been a long time fan of prana for my climbing pants here in CO. Finally just put a hole in the knee of my 3 year old pair. I like the new straight cut Zion. They are water resistant (surprisingly so) and stretchy and the new straight cut ones are less baggy in the ankles. I just picked up a few pair of OR Ferrosi's and I dig them. The fit is good and they are a lot thinner than the pranas. So I'm assuming worse durability but better in the summer!

I've got a pair of their climbing capris that has survived three seasons, including two weeks in the Picket range in the Cascades and a week groveling in Joshua Tree that destroyed my "approach" shoes, they are sturdy for being as light weight as they are.

John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 170

I have the Marmot Scree, Mammut Courmayeur, BD BDV pants, and at least 10 Stretch Zion's.  My favorite is the Scree although after less than six months of use there's a couple stitches coming undone. I'll warranty or fix them if necessary, and will buy more.  The fabric is awesome and thicker than my other pants.  I had high hopes for the Mammut pant but it is much thinner, and didn't come in a 30" inseam. It is a very high quality pant though, that I love for snowboarding. BDV is solid but the cut of the butt is very odd and it looks like you took a big shit in your pants as there's weird extra fabric.  Stretch zions, while my go to for a decade plus, pale in comparison to the other pants I've listed. They are much cheaper however. 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
John Ryan wrote: BDV is solid but the cut of the butt is very odd and it looks like you took a big shit in your pants as there's weird extra fabric.
That's interesting to hear. I wanted a pair of BDV pants, but they were discontinued. Instead, I found a pair of Westcomb Recon pants that use the same material as the BDV as far as I know, and they have this same weird problem: extra saggy fabric in the butt area.
Christian Edstrom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
John Ryan wrote:  I had high hopes for the Mammut pant but it is much thinner, and didn't come in a 30" inseam. It is a very high quality pant though, that I love for snowboarding. 

The Mammut Courmayeurs are very thin-feeling.  When I first got them I was going to swap them for the slightly heavier Mammut Champ pants.  But after all is said and done, I have worn them on a 90d day hiking the Teton Crest and on a -20 (-68 with windchill) day on Mt. Washington.  I'm convinced that with the right insulation underneath, even though they're thin, they do the job.  I do have mixed feelings about the integrated belt..  

Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50

Prana Stretch Zions! Dry fast, light and durable. But most of all, you don't need a belt with them (which if you do, is a deal breaker for me).

Eric Duncan · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

+1 for stretch zions.

Curt Haire · · leavenworth, wa · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1

another vote for Mammut Courmeyeur - light/breathable enough for hot/summer, weatherproof enough for severe winter with appropriate insulation underneath.  I milked about 15 years out of my first pair (did a lot of sewing), and am into my second year of my second pair.  I did dump the integral belt and just use a "normal" belt.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Rab Sawtooth - Double weave matrix softshell is more weatherproof/durable than the Zion's and Ferrosi's. They're more breathable than the Arcteryx Gamma LT's. Also has zippered pockets, reinforced kick patches, and under boot cord attachments making it great for mountaineering/ski touring as well as alpine climbing.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

I have a pair of Black Diamond BVD pants (the original ones - made with Schoeller softshell fabric), grey, size medium. If someone wants them PM me - I'd be happy to sell them as they're a bit warm for me climbing in Vegas and just sit in the closet.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Favorite alpine summer pants"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started