Mountain Project Logo

Indian Creek Weather

Original Post
Jeremy Blumel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

Hey MtnProj, looking for current climbing/weather conditions in The Creek. Is it as bad as
It looks on the weather sites? Help a Canadian Brother out. 

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441

Yes.  We just got a lot of rain in Moab this afternoon.  More is on the way.  Plan for alternative locations or activities. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

The state, and most of the American SW sandstone (RR, moab, IC, Zion), is regularly getting hit with precipitation this spring. Please do not climb there.

Trust me, all of us wish we there as well.

Thanks for the latest info. Hoping to climb Mar. 17-...  it sounds like a real chancy winter for climbing there. 

It might be okay then. Maybe. Keep your eye on the weather and DON'T climb on wet sand stone. 

How ‘bout now? 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Jeremy Blumel wrote: How ‘bout now? 

No. By the 17th? Still unknown - will depend on how much precip, winds, temps, sun, etc.

Point forecast for Supercrack Buttress for 3/12:

Today Showers likely, then periods of showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 9am.  High near 46. East northeast wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.  Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tonight Periods of rain showers before 3am, then periods of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible.  Low around 32. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the evening.  Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday Periods of snow showers.  High near 34. Breezy, with a northwest wind 10 to 20 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Wednesday Night A 50 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before midnight.  Cloudy, with a low around 22. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.  New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 36. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 19.

Friday Sunny, with a high near 40.

Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 23.

Saturday Sunny, with a high near 44.

Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 26.

Sunday Sunny, with a high near 49.

Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 30.

Monday Sunny, with a high near 52.

5.7 Crusher · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 15

Really? I love checking out the ruins when I'm in Canyonlands.  A little off-trail hiking shouldn't do too much harm, and what's the point of them being there if no one gets to see it?

5.7 Crusher wrote: Really? I love checking out the ruins when I'm in Canyonlands.  A little off-trail hiking shouldn't do too much harm, 
Your footprints on crypto soil can last for hundreds of years and create a path for erosion.

...and what's the point of them being there if no one gets to see it?

The huge problem is the number of people who do not grasp the concept of look but don't touch or enter. Even worse are the vandals and souvenir hunters.

5.7 Crusher wrote: Really? I love checking out the ruins when I'm in Canyonlands.  A little off-trail hiking shouldn't do too much harm, and what's the point of them being there if no one gets to see it?

This better be trolling because its comes off extremely ignorant of desert ecosystems. Off trail hiking on cryptobiotic soil is TERRIBLE for the desert. Stomping through desert plants ss TERRIBLE for them. Please stick to trails as much as possible. Animal trails and/or rocks if you must go off trail. 

Tread lightly.

Leave no trace. Not even foot prints in the desert. 
falling monkey · · The West · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

Its totally cool to hike off trail and out of washes as long as you are riding one of the local cows. LNT dawg. Cows don't count.

grog m wrote:

This better be trolling because its comes off extremely ignorant of desert ecosystems. Off trail hiking on cryptobiotic soil is TERRIBLE for the desert. Stomping through desert plants ss TERRIBLE for them. Please stick to trails as much as possible. Animal trails and/or rocks if you must go off trail. 

Tread lightly.

Leave no trace. Not even foot prints in the desert. 

Sandy wash bottoms are fine, too.

B DeMers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 46

Indian creek last week was pretty wet. Though people were climbing, really only one day of the last 7 were dry enough. Showers have been spotty but heavy the last week and a half. This coming week looks better and may signal more "predictable" desert spring weather

Matthew Tangeman · · SW Colorado · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,098
what's the point of them being there if no one gets to see it?

uhh, for starters, those dwellings that are now ruins were not built for your amusement.

A little off-trail hiking shouldn't do too much harm
and that's exactly the mindset that leads to so many ecological and access issues in the first place. geez I hope this is a troll.

I don't really understand all these wet rock threads. If every forecast model in a 75 mile radius says it's raining/going to rain, yes, it's safe to assume the rock is going to be wet.
Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646
5.7 Crusher wrote: Really? I love checking out the ruins when I'm in Canyonlands.  A little off-trail hiking shouldn't do too much harm, and what's the point of them being there if no one gets to see it?

8/10

Minimum effort with a completely fantastic effect! Honestly I'm a little surprised it worked so well.
Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

Hey, how's the weather looking for this weekend?

Isaac Mauro · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Driving to Moab right now, how is it looking in the Moab area today? Forcast seems good, but idk if it has dried out enough to climb today. I guess we'll see and maybe just have a mountain bike day

Fairly warm here yesterday and things not in the shadow seemed pretty dry. Lots of snow in the shaded areas, fer sure!

justino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 319

A scientist friend shared some research with me today.  This month alone Indian Creek has received 1.55 inches of rain! March 13 received 0.65 inches. Pay attention out there and stay safe chasing dry rock

More rain seems probable on Weds. night!

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

When you get lemons make lemonade. The Green River will be much higher this spring than last year.

Instead of going to IC now while its wet start planning a Labyrinth Canyon float/climbing trip for a month from now.
You can float past 40 miles of Wingate cracks and spires on a truck inner tube.

Its just not for pussies who can't climb without a guidebook (may there never be one!)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Indian Creek Weather "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started