Mountain Project Logo

Anyone use HB Wales Quadcams?

Original Post
Kenny Holton · · Golden, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

Does anyone use the HB Quad cams? Looking for some feedback on them

Thanks yall

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

They were state of the art.... 20 years ago. Most people who still use them probably don't use the internet.  They make a perfectly fine starter rack, but modern cams tend be far more ergonomic and easy to use when you're pumped. Many a leader has cursed at those cams as they whipped off their project due to inadvertently fumblefucking the little trigger ring. If you're getting them for a good deal ($25/ea or less) then go for it. If not, just save up a little more and buy some used C4/Dragons/Heliums here on the Buy/Sell page for around $40 ea.

Thanks Jon!!
The ones I was looking at are brand new, $140 for 4 of them. I have skinny fingers so I thought they’d be alright for me. I think I’m just going to stick to master cams since I can get them for a discount. The “fumblefucking” of the trigger was a good enough piece of input for me!!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Had 'em. Used 'em. Liked 'em. Sold 'em. (Except for the biggest, which I still have)

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Kenny Holton wrote: Does anyone use the HB Quad cams? Looking for some feedback on them

Thanks yall

I have used them, many years ago, the trigger absolutly sucks, but other than that they are a fine (if incredibly outdated) cam.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Kenny Holton wrote: Thanks Jon!!
The ones I was looking at are brand new, $140 for 4 of them. I have skinny fingers so I thought they’d be alright for me. I think I’m just going to stick to master cams since I can get them for a discount. The “fumblefucking” of the trigger was a good enough piece of input for me!!

Brand new is kinda pushing it, HB ceased trading in 2005.

Yeah you’re  correct Jim, I should have said in-used ones. But yeah I did some research and landed on not getting them

Dylan Boyd · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 7

I've found a set of five (00-1.5) for $90 bucks. I know the trigger sucks, but so does not having a set of small pieces. Green light or Red light? To buy or not to buy, that is the question, wether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes??

-Dyl

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118
Dylan Boyd wrote: I've found a set of five (00-1.5) for $90 bucks. I know the trigger sucks, but so does not having a set of small pieces. Green light or Red light? To buy or not to buy, that is the question, wether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes??

-Dyl

You saw that set on FB as well? Good deal. If you need a starter set of cams, that's a reasonable price to buy in. You'll eventually want to upgrade, but they will definitely work.

Dylan Boyd · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 7

I ended up finding a set of 7 metolius power cams for $110. A couple were ultralights, so I passed on the HB's. Thanks for the info!

Will Carney · · Tallulah Falls, GA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 135

I like them because the trigger design makes for easier deep placements. That being said, the above term of fumblefucking is more than accurate.

John Pitcairn · · Arapuni, Waikato · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 1
I like them because the trigger design makes for easier deep placements
^^ This. For those flaring thin-hands cracks that actually have a fingers parallel at the back you can't get a bulky C4 or Totem or a squitty little short Metolius anywhere near. I still own orange and yellow HB quadcams, and they still get placed. Um ... warning ... they walk. Put a long sling on them.
bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

These are great for aiding as they have a nice long reach to place them and a loop that that you can clip into rather than the sling for that extra few inches.  They are also good for  your aid rack because they are used and cheap nowadays.  

As far as weird old cams go, the simple OCUN cams are the original ultralights. As an extra bonus, they have long stems for reaching into placements. They are hard to find though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Anyone use HB Wales Quadcams?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started