Mountain Project Logo

How many cams in your rack

Original Post
Chris Wright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

How many cams do you climb with on a normal outing?

Cornelius Sale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Obviously route dependent, but I’ve probably got 8-14 cams ranging from BD .4 to 4 equivalents, as well as one set of nuts and one set of dmm offset nuts. The nuts are light, so I almost always carry them. On shorter routes without much variation, I might only take up 6 cams. On long, multi pitch routes with lots of different crack sizes and shapes, I might take up a lot. 

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

17 cams and 5 tricams

Edit: I own probably 3 or 4 times that many cams.  This is just the standard rack.

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

I have 7 (Dragon 2's blue-blue). My regular partner has a rack of C4's plus a full set of TCU's. We usually carry my Dragons, his TCU's, and 3-4 of his C4's as doubles. So 14-16 at most?

For long easy "adventure" style routes we might carry a single rack of cams and some big hexes to save weight. 

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

Always rack for the climb.  Could be 2, could be 20.  

T C · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 1,066

For single pitch 6 cams and like 7 nuts for multi-pitch probably 10 to 12 cams and 7 nuts.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Jaren Watson wrote: I thought I was on a first ascent last week, but when I got near the top, I found an old pin. I can’t find any information about it.

All I know is it’s a 15’ off-hands to fist crack, and I placed 16 cams. I would have placed more, but the climbing was easy so I just ran it out.

Dude, that's reckless. I don't care how easy the climbing is, you never know when a hold is going to break and send you plummeting.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40
Briggs Lazalde wrote: I own 32 cams. And I only want more.

Do I rack all that? You bet I do. And when I send single pitch at sunshine wall, I make sure I take my ascenders, belay seat, and aiders so noobs know that I'm the real deal

Only 32? I feel like I’ve seen you buy at least 20 black totems!

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

doubles .3-3
single .2, .2/.3, and 4
Nuts

Davis Badger · · San Luis Obispo · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 528

I've been a able to get up a surprising amount of stuff with just 4 cams.
(1) .75 C4
(2) 1 C4
(1) 3 Technical Friend
But I also supplement most routes with some smaller nuts and hexes, as well as pink and red tricams

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Depends, but often, as many as 20,
 & small wires,(&#s1&2 wired hexs)
1 Clog Cob(2.5 friend size)

For "hammer time" not a bail piece

I'm tripled up & carry triples in the 3 small tricams too (1 or 2 have been modified)

I've been adding more pro,  as my weight has increased &, the grade of the climbs & number I do has decreased.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

Usually all cams, I hardly ever use nuts anymore. 

Robin Westman · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined May 2018 · Points: 56

20. doubles from .5 - 2  triples in .5, 1, and 2. i have singles from .4 - .2 and 3 - 6. 3 tricams, two nut sets, a talon hook, and a ballnut

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Normal trad multi-pitch I´d take maybe 6 or so.

Oldtradguy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 15

This is our normal trad rack that we take on multi-pitch climbs. If we go to Vedauwoo, then we would take a couple of larger pieces and get rid of the smaller nuts and aliens.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Jim Titt wrote: Normal trad multi-pitch I´d take maybe 6 or so.

Just enough for two trad anchors. Perfect!

Oldtradguy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 15
Suburban Roadside wrote: Depends, but often, as many as 20,
 & small wires,(&#s1&2 wired hexs)
1 Clog Cob(2.5 friend size)
For "hammer time" not a bail piece

I'm tripled up & carry triples in the 3 small tricams too (1 or 2 have been modified)

I've been adding more pro,  as my weight has increased &, the grade of the climbs & number I do has decreased.

I thought that I was the only one that still had Clog Cogs.

Use these for Christmas decorations
Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 662

6-20 plus a single set of stoppers (brand varies with my mood but lately metolius UL) plus a few bigger brassies (3-6). Mix of totems (black-red) and master cams (1-4 or 00-4 usually) for most things plus a C4 #2 and/or 3. I don't usually expect fixed anchors but I find the above accounts for that.

Depending on if the route is onsight maybe the green, yellow, and grey aliens come too or a C4 #4. Harder routes get more small stuff usually unless it is known to have wider stuff. Once I have things wired I pare it down but don't go completely with the exact set because I sometimes forget or miss a prior placement and would rather carry a little more than be hosed.

Tom Powell · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I have 16 cams I usually rack 6 - 10 plus nuts and sometimes hexes.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Oldtradguy wrote:

I thought that I was the only one that still had Clog Cogs.

Romano has 'em and uses them on every climb.

Nick Gibson · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Needless to say, rack for the specific climb. But on most varied multi pitch I'll bring doubles in .2 - 3, one .1, a set of nuts, and 2 larger hexes. So roughly 18 cams supplemented with passive pro. And about 10-14 alpine draws.

This is all personal preference, so bring whatever makes you feel good. When I was getting into trad and slowly building my rack I had many occasions where I ran out of gear and had a difficult time building anchors and also had to run it out, so now I (admittedly) bring a lot of gear up. Also, I usually climb in Eldo and having a varied rack comes in handy. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "How many cams in your rack"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started