Mountain Project Logo

Rain yesterday at red rocks?

Original Post
Bryan Voet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

So we’re at Zion now, it’s covered in snow. Any word on how much rain fell at red rocks yesterday before we make the trip back tomorrow to find it wet?

Kyle Smith · · Southern Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 1,986

Looks like 0.13 inches.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=vef&sid=RRKN2&num=72&raw=0​​​

Snow on the higher areas this morning (Mt. Wilson, etc.), cloudy this morning. Took this photo around 11:30am.

Star Paw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 34

Yes it definitely rained. 72 hours traditional drying period for sandstone.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Alice H wrote: Yes it definitely rained. 72 hours traditional drying period for sandstone.

It’s good to know what’s traditional but what is the modern standard?

Star Paw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 34
Colonel Mustard wrote:

*informed standard.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676
Alice H wrote: Yes it definitely rained. 72 hours traditional drying period for sandstone.

72 hours seems excessive. What is the source for this information?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Colonel Mustard wrote:

On every Red Rock related page in the routes database is this info. Pertinent sentence bolded. It can take anywhere from a half day to 3 or more to dry out. How long depends on how much precip, temperatures, sun and sun exposure, winds, relative humidity......

Access Issue: Red Rock RAIN AND WET ROCK: The sandstone is fragile and is very easily damaged when wet.            Details                            Holds rip off and climbs have been and will continue to be permanently damaged due to climbers not respecting this phenomenon. After a heavy storm, the rock will remain wet, sometimes for several days. PLEASE DO NOT CLIMB IN RED ROCKS during or after rain. A good rule of thumb is that if the ground near your climb is at all damp (and not powdery dry sand), then do not climb. There are many alternatives (limestone, granite, basalt, and plastic) nearby.
John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

It's a little wordy, but overall I think the above disclaimer spells it out pretty well.

However, the notion that you can't climb 72 hours after any rain regardless of the specific circumstances is pretty ridiculous.

I've been climbing in RR for a while now and over the years the "consensus" about climbing on wet rock has creeped from 1 day to 2 days and now 3?

0.13" of rain is a very tiny amount of moisture. I know that it is not conclusive to base decisions on one statistic from one weather station, but really, a blanket 3 day climbing ban? Really.

budman · · Moab,UT · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 11
John Hegyes wrote: It's a little wordy, but overall I think the above disclaimer spells it out pretty well.

However, the notion that you can't climb 72 hours after any rain regardless of the specific circumstances is pretty ridiculous.

I've been climbing in RR for a while now and over the years the "consensus" about climbing on wet rock has creeped from 1 day to 2 days and now 3?

0.13" of rain is a very tiny amount of moisture. I know that it is not conclusive to base decisions on one statistic from one weather station, but really, a blanket 3 day climbing ban? Really.

Having lived in the desert for quite a while, a lot depends on the amount it rained.  Is it sunny the following day.  And very important has the wind been blowing during the drying process.  If it down poured the entire night possibly 2 or 3 days to dry.  If in doubt please do not climb go to the hot springs or something just as enjoyable.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Aztec vs Wingate rates?

Are there any local climbing gyms I can be sure are open?

Spencer Norris · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
  • Any news on the weather up there today?  The clouds look pretty dark and heavy in the area but I have not driven in.  
Bryan Voet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Rock was super wet this morning into this afternoon 

Miguel D · · SLC · Joined May 2014 · Points: 544

Rained a fair bit on Sat night, with snow in higher elevations. This picture is from the back of Turtlehead Peak near the Sandstone Quarry. Taken at around noon on Sunday 1/6/18

Sam R · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 15

I saw a post on Instagram that the crux hold on The Gift broke on Saturday evening. Don’t know if that was from the rain or just wear and tear. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Rain yesterday at red rocks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started