Mountain Project Logo

Best place to buy bolts and hangers

Original Post
Tristan Burnham · · La Crescenta, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 2,176
  • What's your go to site to get bolts and hangers. Just looking to buy like 20 bolts or so. Looking for 3/8 ss 5 piece bolts and 3/8 wedge bolts and hangers.
C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556

You looking for cheap shizz for alpine bailers or quality hardware for development?

Andrew Jackson · · Greensboro, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Check out rapbolting.com , their pricing is pretty competitive after adding in shipping. Also check out team - tough products.

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

I buy from Mountain Tools.  The have a sale right now.  Check their website but best to call.

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

Second recommendation for Team Tough. Their customer service is excellent as well. Another option is Fixe. While their customer service is no where near the same level as team tough Fixe makes good hangers and the prices on thier website are reasonable but you can ussually find better prices on mechanical anchors with a few minutes on google. 

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

I tend to find the best deals for expansion anchors on construction supply websites. You don't get the added markup that climbing specific retailers add. Just make sure you are buying quality SS hardware with ICC-ES ratings. For hangers, look for a climbing specific retailer that is running a sale. Fixe's website sometimes has package deals for hangers.

Andrew AJ Jackson wrote: Check out rapbolting.com , their pricing is pretty competitive after adding in shipping. Also check out team - tough products.

Thanks, I've ordered from rap bolting before but they only have short bolts. Team tough looks rad too but no sleve bolts. But their rod hangers are awesome.

Idaho Bob wrote: I buy from Mountain Tools.  The have a sale right now.  Check their website but best to call.

Totally forgot about these guys! Thanks 

Bobby Hutton wrote: Second recommendation for Team Tough. Their customer service is excellent as well. Another option is Fixe. While their customer service is no where near the same level as team tough Fixe makes good hangers and the prices on thier website are reasonable but you can ussually find better prices on mechanical anchors with a few minutes on google. 

I don't like the fixe wedge bolts since they are metric and harder to get in the hole but they have the sleve bolts for a good price. And their hangers are nice too. 

Dylan Pike wrote: I tend to find the best deals for expansion anchors on construction supply websites. You don't get the added markup that climbing specific retailers add. Just make sure you are buying quality SS hardware with ICC-ES ratings. For hangers, look for a climbing specific retailer that is running a sale. Fixe's website sometimes has package deals for hangers.

So what websites?

Tristan Burnham wrote:

So what websites?

fastenersplus.com has some good deals.

boltsnutsandtools.com also.
EB · · Winona · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,207

climbtech

Tristan Bradford · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,634
Tristan Burnham wrote:
  • What's your go to site to get bolts and hangers. Just looking to buy like 20 bolts or so. Looking for 3/8 ss 5 piece bolts and 3/8 wedge bolts and hangers.

fixehardware.com is the shit, based out of bishop california.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Dylan Pike wrote:

fastenersplus.com has some good deals.

boltsnutsandtools.com also.

looked on fastenerplus and it seems like the only bolt they have that might be strong enough is the Redhed Trubolt, which has 25+kN in tension but only 20kN in sheer. Is that acceptable?

ETA: looked at the other site too, which only has the same redhead wedge bolts, although for a pretty good deal at just over a dollar per bolt before shipping. If those bolts are good enough for climbing use then I may end up having to buy a box those. 

I'd consider those redheads plenty strong enough. Others would look for a stronger bolt. It helps that they are ICC-ES rated. That's what I use in Utah limestone.

Usually what I do is take the SKU for the bolt I'm interested in (like the above-mentioned redheads), and Google search it. You can often find deals on random websites.

Just looked at UIAA standard for mechanical bolts and the only strength specification is 20kN in tension. I was thinking there were minimums for both tension and shear loading, although I may be confusing EN standards with UIAA. Anybody know what, if any, EN standards are for bolts used in climbing? Is 25kN in tension and 20kN shear good?

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
eli poss wrote: Just looked at UIAA standard for mechanical bolts and the only strength specification is 20kN in tension. I was thinking there were minimums for both tension and shear loading, although I may be confusing EN standards with UIAA. Anybody know what, if any, EN standards are for bolts used in climbing? Is 25kN in tension and 20kN shear good?

To put that in perspective, I think the Twist bolts available from Team Tough are ~50 kN and the hangers 45kN

M Sprague wrote:

To put that in perspective, I think the Twist bolts available from Team Tough are ~50 kN and the hangers 45kN

Yeah I've stopped purchasing regular hangers because Jim's rod hangers are so much better, although I still have a bunch of petzl hangers from pro deal. And for what it's worth, I don't think twist bolts would get to 50kN in my rock. The rock would probably explode before the bolt broke or pulled.

I would think 20kN would be enough, as that's the standard for carabiners, although runners are 22kN minimum. Still, does anybody know what the standard is for sheer strength?

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,369

Backcountry Gear - free shipping over $49

$3 SS Fixe hangers 10 mm

$6.70 SS Powers 5 pc 3/8 X 3.5"

Fixe has same bolt for $5.70, but shipping is $16

Amazon has Fixe hangers for $3, free shipping

Mike Bond · · Kentucky · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,191
eli poss wrote:

Yeah I've stopped purchasing regular hangers because Jim's rod hangers are so much better, 

What makes them better than a standard hanger?  

Seems the welding creates more complexity and chance for long term failure. 

Personally, I like the climbtech hangers.  Fixe are good too, but unnecessarily large.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Best place to buy bolts and hangers "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started