Mountain Project Logo

SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales

Jason Aldean · · New York · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Great news for us.

Cole Varner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
Eddie Ferrer wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Cole, I really appreciate it !

You're absolutely right in that the shoes on the profile should be the shoes the user owns. I don't think it's wise to stray from that, for the reasons you mentioned.

Great idea to search by aggressive shoes / etc. I will definitely add that. You're right in that the ability to search for a shoe using several parameters is sorely missing from the site. I don't think this would be an issue to implement. I also really like the idea of displaying a range like you mentioned "42 (Super Aggressive) - 43.5 (Comfort)" but this will be harder to implement.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Relative Fit. And I think thats kind of what I meant with my original comment. For example, if you tried a size 42, and its so big that you dont use it, then its not eally useful to have that shoe on your profile, and its not useful to the site. I guess my thinking was that if you bought a 41.5 Miuras and they're so small that they dont fit. You either: get rid of the shoes, and they arent on your profile, or you get a different size, and you add the new size accordingly to your profile.

I sort of see what you mean about shoes that are either so big or small that you don't use them, but at the very least the slightly big/small rating seems useful. For example if I have a shoe buddy and we both wear shoe A in the same size that are "just right", it would be very telling to see that he thinks shoe B is "slightly small" in a given size.

The "Too Big/Small" thing was mostly because it doesn't make sense from a UI point of view to have "Slightly Big/Small" without "Too Big/Small" as well. Like I said, you could just ignore them completely when doing calculations.
Eddie Ferrer · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15
Nate Tastic wrote: https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/sizesquirrel.com

You must've caught a scheduled restart, it's up and running.

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656

Hi, I cannot find the Mad Rock Drone on your website. I guess no one owns this shoe?

Alexander Stathis wrote: Hi, I cannot find the Mad Rock Drone on your website. I guess no one owns this shoe?

Thanks for using the site and the feedback Alex. I 've added the Mad Rock Drone to the site, but you are also right in that nobody has it yet. Feel free to add it to your profile if you have it. 

Thanks! 

Quick update,

I added Rating per foot shape to both match pages and shoe pages, this will allow you to see the average rating given to that shoe for each of the foot shapes.

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656
Eddie Ferrer wrote: Quick update,

I added Rating per foot shape to both match pages and shoe pages, this will allow you to see the average rating given to that shoe for each of the foot shapes.

Is the rating supposed to be of the quality of the shoe or of the quality of the fit? It's unclear given the context. Maybe separate "rate the shoe: xxx, rate the fit: xxx" fields?

Alexander Stathis wrote:

Is the rating supposed to be of the quality of the shoe or of the quality of the fit? It's unclear given the context. Maybe separate "rate the shoe: xxx, rate the fit: xxx" fields?

It's your subjective review of the shoe. So think of it as an overall rating that emcompases both the quality of the shoe and the fit. This is  stated in the add shoe form, and in a couple other places, I'll work on adding this help text throughout the site.

Buuuuuuuump

Hey everyone, just wanted to bump this thread.

New Features:
- I've added climbing skill and Gender to user profiles. Please add yours, in the near future I hope to use this to search for shoes and in shoe matches.
- Many technical improvements and bug fixes.. For example, the sales page has about 300 shoes at any given time, but should load in about 1/3 of the time it used to.

Please, if you see an error, or something that isn't working quite right, let me know!

SizeSquirrel​​​

Jordan Duncan · · Norwalk, OH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 20

I haven’t delved through this whole thread, but are you planning an app anytime soon?

Jordan Duncan wrote: I haven’t delved through this whole thread, but are you planning an app anytime soon?

Thats more of a long term goal, it would be great, but not something I am working on at the moment. 

I do try to make the site as mobile friendly as possible, so it should work on your phone. 

Jordan Duncan · · Norwalk, OH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 20
Eddie Ferrer wrote:

I do try to make the site as mobile friendly as possible, so it should work on your phone. 

No issues with it on the phone, but I would definitely use it more if there was an app. 

Anonymous wrote: BR:

On two devices (android cell, android tablet), when I try to update my deets or add new shoes, upon submission I'm logged off and asked to login again.

ETA:
Doesn't work on a Linux desktop either :-(

Sorry about that, I made some updates late last night and broke everything. It should be fixed now, thanks! 

Jakob Melchior · · Basel, CH · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

maybe add a rating to how much they stretched during break-in. Would be useful to know when trying on new shoes.

Update

​​​​Just wanted to bump this thread with an update. Here's what I've been working on.

• Increased performance. I've spent a lot of time rewriting a lot of the site, you should notice drastically improved performance. The sales page for example used to take upwards of 5 seconds to load, now it should load in a second or so. 
  • Updated some graphics, and updated menu to work better on mobile. 
  • Progressive Web App. SizeSquirrel is now a progressive web app. What is this? It's basically an App on your phone. Heres how it works:
    • 1. Go to SizeSquirrel, click on prompt that says add to Home Screen
    • 2. Confirm prompt. 
    • 3. SizeSquirrel will now be on your homescreen and behave as an app. 
Karl Walters · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 106

Can you sort shoe reviews by foot type? That would be super helpful for potentially finding what might and might not work.

Also- one future area of improvement might be for fit to maybe have "forefoot, midfoot, rearfoot" and individual fit ratings/comments for each. I know that's likely not easy to build, but is useful.

Karl Walters wrote: Can you sort shoe reviews by foot type? That would be super helpful for potentially finding what might and might not work.

Also- one future area of improvement might be for fit to maybe have "forefoot, midfoot, rearfoot" and individual fit ratings/comments for each. I know that's likely not easy to build, but is useful.

Great idea, I can definitely add the foot type to the reviews and the ability to sort by them.

As far as the forefoot/midfoot/rearfoot ratings, I'm concerned that people may be put off by rating shoes in that much detail; however, I'll put more thought into this idea and how it could potentially work.

Thanks for the feedback!
Karl Walters wrote: Can you sort shoe reviews by foot type? That would be super helpful for potentially finding what might and might not work.

I have added the ability to sort review by foot shape. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Eddie Ferrer wrote:

I have added the ability to sort review by foot shape. 

Yes, if it were to include a picture of the bottom of the shoe (sole) it (afaik) reflects the "last" of the shoe and reflects the foot shape it will fit too. This has been more useful to me that saying it fits a wide foot or narrow foot etc.

gen d-s · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

I made a survey to try and get some data about foot/toebox shape, width, and shoe fit. Here's the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V2T2SL8

I'm hoping to get enough data that I can at least graphically represent some trends in shoe preference for different categories of feet, and give some comparative measurements. Maybe it could get incorporated into a website too down the road. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started