Mountain Project Logo

SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales

Karl Walters · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 106

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I click foot shape and nothing happens or come up

gen d-s · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

Weird...The link works for me. Link is here: www15.plala.or.jp/miagolare…

Eddie Ferrer · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15
Anonymous wrote: Can we see shoe buddies with the same size AND same foot shape? (I only have one shoe size buddy.)

Sure, I can add something like that

Karl Walters wrote: Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I click foot shape and nothing happens or come up

Is this about SizeSquirrel or the survey?

Size Squirrel- I want to click on my footshape and see a list of shoes rated in descending order from highest average rating for that foot shape to lowest.

Karl Walters wrote: Size Squirrel- I want to click on my footshape and see a list of shoes rated in descending order from highest average rating for that foot shape to lowest.

Great suggestion. That feature doesn't exist yet, but I'll add it to the list of things to work on

Thanks! Would make it easier to find other brands/models

Karl Walters wrote: Thanks! Would make it easier to find other brands/models

I have totally reworked the browse page. You can now browse for shoes based on their ratings by foot shape, overall rating, most common fit, most common foot shape, and other parameters.

Should make the process of trying to find a shoe based on some criteria much easier. 

Check it out:
https://sizesquirrel.com/browse

As always, if anyone has any feedback, or something isn't working quite right, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Adam Lewis · · Sammamish, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1

Thanks so much for your work with this!

Interestingly, I wear a 42.5 in Sportivas  but I've never tried Five Ten. It says I should wear a size 12? I don't even wear a size 12 street shoe ... 

Backwards Eric · · Fargo, ND · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,378

@Adam, I wear 43.5 in La Sportiva, and 11/11.5 in Five Ten. So I expect you would need to be less than 12 in Five Ten.

@Eddie, I saw this weird combination on the size squirrel site when looking for a suggested size in a different shoe:

• Input "Five Ten Hiangle - Men's, 11 US" - output is "La Sportiva Testarossa - Men's 43.5"
  • Input "Five Ten Hiangle - Men's, 11.5 US" - output is "La Sportiva Testarossa - Men's 43"
I went bigger for the input and the output got smaller. That doesn't seem right.
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Eddie,

Thanks for all of the hard work, the site is really shaping up!

When trying to find my size, is there a way to take into account my "desired fit"? For instance, my rock shoes are for the most part sized "aggressive", but for approach shoes, I'd be looking for "normal" or "comfortable". When looking at approach shoes, it only gives me one size recommendation, using my aggressively-sized rock shoes as the starting point. How do I know what fit to expect from that recommended size in the approach shoe?

I assume it's comparing other users who have the same rock shoes, in the same size, with the same fit, who also have that approach shoe, right? Or does it also look at anyone who has that rock shoe, and that fit, and make a relative size recommendation? (Like maybe they don't wear my size, but they have the approach shoe .5 size up, so it gives me a recommendation based on that?) How does it account for people with the same shoe in a different fit?

Backwards Eric wrote: @Adam, I wear 43.5 in La Sportiva, and 11/11.5 in Five Ten. So I expect you would need to be less than 12 in Five Ten.

@Eddie, I saw this weird combination on the size squirrel site when looking for a suggested size in a different shoe:
  • Input "Five Ten Hiangle - Men's, 11 US" - output is "La Sportiva Testarossa - Men's 43.5"
  • Input "Five Ten Hiangle - Men's, 11.5 US" - output is "La Sportiva Testarossa - Men's 43"
I went bigger for the input and the output got smaller. That doesn't seem right.

I will look into this . But, these kind of anomalies are certainly possible. For registered users who have more than one shoe on their profile, these kind of issues should be pretty rare.

Andrew Krajnik wrote: Eddie,

Thanks for all of the hard work, the site is really shaping up!

When trying to find my size, is there a way to take into account my "desired fit"? For instance, my rock shoes are for the most part sized "aggressive", but for approach shoes, I'd be looking for "normal" or "comfortable". When looking at approach shoes, it only gives me one size recommendation, using my aggressively-sized rock shoes as the starting point. How do I know what fit to expect from that recommended size in the approach shoe?

I assume it's comparing other users who have the same rock shoes, in the same size, with the same fit, who also have that approach shoe, right? Or does it also look at anyone who has that rock shoe, and that fit, and make a relative size recommendation? (Like maybe they don't wear my size, but they have the approach shoe .5 size up, so it gives me a recommendation based on that?) How does it account for people with the same shoe in a different fit?

No, there isn't a way to account for desired fit. This is complicated, but it has been requested before and I will see if I can implement it somehow in the future.

It cannot tell you what fit to expect. The way the numbers work out, the fit that you should most likely expect is the most common fit for your target shoe.

The matching makes a relative size recommendation without accounting for fit. (Currently, but it would be great if it accounted for fit)

Hope that makes sense!
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Eddie Ferrer wrote:

No, there isn't a way to account for desired fit. This is complicated, but it has been requested before and I will see if I can implement it somehow in the future.

It cannot tell you what fit to expect. The way the numbers work out, the fit that you should most likely expect is the most common fit for your target shoe.

The matching makes a relative size recommendation without accounting for fit. (Currently, but it would be great if it accounted for fit)

Hope that makes sense!

OK, that's what I suspected, given the way the shoes are summarized. It'd be great if if you could allow target fit for a given shoe. I know this will depend a lot on the number of people in the database, but here's a sample scenario.

I have LS Geniuses sized aggressively. I'm looking to buy LS TX2 approach shoes. If there are enough people in the database, it might be able to draw conclusions such as:
- People with aggressive geniuses and aggressive TX2's size their TX2's up .5 sizes on average from their geniuses.
- People with aggressive geniuses and normal TX2's size their TX2's up 1 size on average from their geniuses.
- etc...

Again, as more people and more shoes get loaded into the database, these recommendations become more robust. (And I assume that this is what the "accuracy" rating is in the shoe recommendation, right?)

Anyway, just some food for thought. Again, thanks for putting the work into this; it's becoming more and more useful as it evolves!
Backwards Eric wrote: @Adam, I wear 43.5 in La Sportiva, and 11/11.5 in Five Ten. So I expect you would need to be less than 12 in Five Ten.

I fixed a rounding error that was causing this in some rare cases. Should lead to slightly better size predictions overall

Great ideas Nate, thank you

Anonymous wrote: A few more ideas:

• Sort by size range. I want to see what people who wear size 12 to 14 wear; and I'm sure people who wear 5-7, for example, want to see the same. I don't have many "shoe partners" (3) and only one "size partner" so, let me do some leg work to find other close matches.
  • I'd like to see the profiles just as much as I want to see shoes. Profiles seem to be a second class citizen (unless I'm missing something?) A whole profile listing page would be nice, with sort by shoe, sort by size, sort by brand, sort by etc. Show me all the users who have Egyptian feet, for example. Then let me click through to see their shoes and comments or even somehow display that stuff inline and for all these users of that metric. So yeah, browse profiles like we can browse shoes.
  • Sort by Trad, Sport, Bouldering, Mountaineering, Ice etc. 
  • Drill down based on what people say it's really good for. Smearing, edging, heel hooking etc. 
  • For boots, add what kind of crampons they can take. 
The real nitty gritty stuff.

Here are some of my thoughts: 

• Sort by rubber type. XS Grip 1/2, XS Edge, C4 etc. (I suppose people will need to add that information per shoes though, once it's added from one user, it's in the system.) If I only want to see shoes with XS Grip 2 Rubber that will really narrow things down for me, then let me drill down from there.
This is tricky and probably won't be implemented. We just don't have that information for some shoes, and if we rely on user submitted information, what if it's incorrect? What if a model changes rubber type? I also don't think that most users will care about this level of detail. If your goal is to get shoe performance info: "I really like the way Stealth Rubber climbs slabs", then maybe we can address that by another one of your other suggestions about having more inputs about what a shoe is good for.

• I'd like to see the profiles just as much as I want to see shoes. Profiles seem to be a second class citizen (unless I'm missing something?) A whole profile listing page would be nice, with sort by shoe, sort by size, sort by brand, sort by etc. Show me all the users who have Egyptian feet, for example. Then let me click through to see their shoes and comments or even somehow display that stuff inline and for all these users of that metric. So yeah, browse profiles like we can browse shoes.
Completely agree.

• Sort by Trad, Sport, Bouldering, Mountaineering, Ice etc. 
  • Drill down based on what people say it's really good for. Smearing, edging, heel hooking etc 
I agree. One of the things that is sorely missing is the ability to specifiy what a shoe is good at or what it is used for. Possibly both in the user comments. I definitely will implement categories in user comments. "trad, sport, bouldering, mountaineering etc" first, and then we'll see how people feel about that and if we need to specify a greater level of detail with smearing, edging, etc.

• For boots, add what kind of crampons they can take. 
Some of the same concerns I have about rubber also carry over to this idea. Also, unfortunately most SizeSquirrel users post climbing shoes. I wish we had more approach shoes and boots on profiles, but people just aren't adding them. 

Bumping this thread with some updates since it's been over a year!

• Theres been a mayor focus on performance improvements. 
  • Basic shoe recommender was released a while ago, check it out:  https://sizesquirrel.com/recommend
  • Reminder that the site is available as a web app, so if you see a little pop up on your phone prompting you to install it, give it a shot, it'll basically behave as if it were an app on your phone. 
  • The codebase is now open source. This was requested by some of the more technically inclined folks, and it's now a reality. Feel free to contribute: https://github.com/eddieferrer/sizesquirrel-open
Connor Johnstone · · Lexington, KY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 70

For the shoe recommender:

- I was only asked for two factors, gender and foot type. Yet there are a lot of other factors that should go into recommending a shoe (preference of soft or hard shoes, preference of strong or light downturn, whether you're looking for a more "bouldery" shoe or a crack climbing shoe or an all-around shoe, etc)

- Also, despite the fact that there were only two criteria, I listed that I had a Roman foot and yet both of my recommended shoes were best for an Egyptian foot. So perhaps something isn't quite right...

Perhaps if I find some time I'll take a look at the github

Connor Johnstone wrote:

For the shoe recommender:

- I was only asked for two factors, gender and foot type. Yet there are a lot of other factors that should go into recommending a shoe (preference of soft or hard shoes, preference of strong or light downturn, whether you're looking for a more "bouldery" shoe or a crack climbing shoe or an all-around shoe, etc)

Absolutely, the recommender is very basic at the moment. It would be great to add extra criteria. 

Connor Johnstone wrote:

- Also, despite the fact that there were only two criteria, I listed that I had a Roman foot and yet both of my recommended shoes were best for an Egyptian foot. So perhaps something isn't quite right...

I don't think that this is inaccurate, if you look at the shoe pages of the recommended shoes you can see how the stats for those shoes look and why they would have been recommended. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "SizeSquirrel - Climbing Shoe Sizing & Sales"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.