Mountain Project Logo

Second mtj capsulitis and turf toe?

Original Post
j Leend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 31

My podiatrist says i have a mild case of second metatarsal capsulitis and i may have a minor big toe sprain.   Anyone here have experience with either of these injuries.   How long does it take to heal?  

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

Man, turf toe sucks! I hurt mine over a year ago, and didn't rest it like I should have. Still have little to no mobility in my right big toe, and cause my foot to overcompensate making me have frequent arch pain. Dinkin Flicka I guess, but make sure you don't push it.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I've had it for years. Here's what has helped. Don't walk barefoot around home, especially on tile or hardwood floors. Wear some sandals, flip-flops, etc. Something with padding

I also wear metatarsal pads when climbing with soft shoes. It used to hurt the balls of my feet when I climbed slab.

The capsulitis is minimal, now that I do those things.

Frank. How old are you?  Have you received treatment for your capsulitis?  How did you guys hurt yourselves initially?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
jlind wrote: Frank. How old are you?  Have you received treatment for your capsulitis?  How did you guys hurt yourselves initially?

Older than you. :)  The podiatrist said he could do an (cortisone) injection, but I was going on a backpacking trip and didn't want to risk any side effects. I bought a pair of the custom (read: overpriced) insoles from him, which seemed to do little. I think it just came from years of hiking, climbing and walking barefoot in my house!

The things I mentioned previously have all but eliminated the capsulitis. Didn't your podiatrist have any suggestions or remedies for you?

Edit: I noticed less pain from my capsulitis within a couple of months of padding my feet when climbing, walking around home and hiking. Amazon has various metatarsal pads, which I use with climbing shoes.
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

YouTube has some great videos on how to tape turf toe. I am old, so don't heal as fast as I used to, and with supportive taping I went from not being able to walk very well to instantly walking with a very minimal limp, to climbing within a week, and running by week two. And yeah, barefoot is bad. 

My doctor made me a little insole with a cutout to take pressure off the joint capsule.  It feels a bit better.  I was just curious how long this takes before i am pain free?   Or can climb?  Etc.  does it heal?  

Etha Williams · · Twentynine Palms, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 349

I also sprained something around the MTP joint of my big toe. Stood up with my left foot kind of awkwardly stuffed into a pod on slab and suddenly felt a sharp pain in the big toe... Saw a doctor, but so far no more specific diagnosis/treatment than "ligament sprain" and RICE.

Curious if anyone has experience with healthy ways to ease back into climbing with this injury. At this point I'm walking pretty normally on it and have prettty good ROM (though not quite as much as the uninjured foot). I tried climbing some easier stuff in approach shoes this weekend but still got some pain when having to push into the foot to smear/stem and especially when weighting the foot on smaller holds. Maybe (probably) the answer is just to keep resting it longer, but if anyone has tips I'd love to hear them.

How long have you rested it?     

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Second mtj capsulitis and turf toe?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started