Mountain Project Logo

2018-2019 Colorado Ice climbing Thread

Original Post
Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555

Is it too early?  Of course not.  I climbed lone eagle a couple of weeks ago and the Buchanan Glacier was mostly melted down to the ice with some residual snow on the sides and on the top but looked like a 1000ft WI 2+ to me.  I am sure more ice has been uncovered in the last two weeks.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

I would call that Alpine ice, not water ice, and i believe the rules are Sept. 1st makes the new season (according to Tradbian's Rules, and he doesn't even ice climb!)

Mark R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Which snowfield were you checking out? Where'd you come from and what peak was it near?

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Buchanan Glacier bro.
Can’t give away all the secrets or we’ll have ever beginner top rope storming the only ice in the state!  ;)

Keith Noback · · Scottsdale, AZ · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 640

Hey Mike. Never too early. I'm trying to be a desert ice climber, still. I can use all the help that I can get.

Cor wrote: Buchanan Glacier bro.
Can’t give away all the secrets or we’ll have ever beginner top rope storming the only ice in the state!  ;)

Oh yeah, the Buchanan Glacier...

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60
Mark Ra wrote:

Oh yeah, the Buchanan Glacier...

It sounds like you have some secrets to spill....

Michael Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

With all due respect to the thread and my fellow ice climbers, I think it would be appropriate to note Jeff Lowe’s passing in this thread. He defined what you and I recognize as modern ice climbing. If you don’t know about Jeff, that is ok as most of the Mountain Project audience is a generation to two younger than me, and 3 younger than him. Do yourself a favor and read about him and his routes including Bridalevaeil Falls first climbed by him in 1974. It is still a test piece today.....imagine climbing it with straight shaft tools and snargs.

May he Rest In Peace, and may you remember that he paved the way for us guys and girls climbing ice.

Dylan Valvo · · Marshall NC · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 1,861

RIP Jeff. Heard there was ice developement on Longs... I was wondering if Alexanders chimney might have something forming on it. Or maybe something else in the area. Flying in Tuesday for a big rock climbing trip.... but would love to climb some ice/mixed if it's in.

Eliot Augusto wrote:

It sounds like you have some secrets to spill....

Can't spill the beans re: Buchanan Falls but here's some unrelated beta:

Bonus shot

Recent snow + rain + freezing temps on Pikes might see the north face setting up soon.

Jim Amidon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 850

This thread always starts too early and people wonder why colorado ice climbing is a myth now ?

Bombed out ice climbs where people walk around to set up top ropes for the day and hack the shit outa the ice...

seth0687 · · Fort Collins · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 375

YASSSSSSS!!  Ice!!!!

Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555
If your really jonesing the left side of the flying buttress has melted down to solid ice.
Dylan Valvo · · Marshall NC · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 1,861

Sounds like this thread starting to early isn't the problem. Not sure where the top rope talk came from. Top roping is for road sides crags and farmed ice. Glad some other folks are hyped early. The grumpy nay sayers can just sit at home and bash forum threads while the go getters hike it out. 

Jamie Princo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 85

does anyone have current/recent beta on navajo snowfield and the powell icefield? thanks

jamie

Alex Langfield · · Colorado · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65

Lincoln is barely starting, long way to go still; this week looks promising for a good start.

Craghead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 75

Yes, Lincoln is looking a little "thin" yet. Here's a pic from today of an iceless Scottish Gully. At least it was snowing up there.

Thaddeus F Baringer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Saturday 10/13 
Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Came close to checking on smear today, so many regrets.

Kevin Pula · · Denver · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20

Does anyone here have a shot of lambslide from the past couple of days? Or seen it by chance? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "2018-2019 Colorado Ice climbing Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started