Mountain Project Logo

Tips on how to take rest days?

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

Video games. Theres a badass new Battlefield game coming out soon.

Tim Watts · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

Edibles   

earl mcalister · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 241

My typical rest day: Sleep in as long as possible. Wake up and drink a press of coffee and lay around while you do this as long as possible. Poop. Return and keep drinking coffee if the press isn't empty (hopefully involves some more laying around if there is coffee left). Make a healthy breakfast with real food (I'm a big fan of egg scrambles with veggies, avocados and toast). Socialize if in a group camping situation for a while. Do a full yoga/stretch routine with lots of pushups/reclined dumbell presses (large rocks or 2 quart H2O water bottles work if you don't have dumbells) to oppose pulling muscles. My slow routine takes an hour. READ A BOOK for as long as you feel interested. A good book goes a long way. Drink water to hydrate the entire day. If in a social; situation when everyone else returns from climbing drink beer, talk about the day, tell them about books you read, bitch about trump, etc until it's time to make dinner, pack your bags and talk about tomorrow's plan.

Things not to do: Hike or bicycle if heavy packs and long approaches are the norm (do some if you're sport climbing with short approaches). Be a braggadocios sprayer on social media.

Anna LaSusa · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 10

This was actually extremely helpful thank you :) 

earl mcalister wrote: My typical rest day: Sleep in as long as possible. Wake up and drink a press of coffee and lay around while you do this as long as possible. Poop. Return and keep drinking coffee if the press isn't empty (hopefully involves some more laying around if there is coffee left). Make a healthy breakfast with real food (I'm a big fan of egg scrambles with veggies, avocados and toast). Socialize if in a group camping situation for a while. Do a full yoga/stretch routine with lots of pushups/reclined dumbell presses (large rocks or 2 quart H2O water bottles work if you don't have dumbells) to oppose pulling muscles. My slow routine takes an hour. READ A BOOK for as long as you feel interested. A good book goes a long way. Drink water to hydrate the entire day. If in a social; situation when everyone else returns from climbing drink beer, talk about the day, tell them about books you read, bitch about trump, etc until it's time to make dinner, pack your bags and talk about tomorrow's plan.

Things not to do: Hike or bicycle if heavy packs and long approaches are the norm (do some if you're sport climbing with short approaches). Be a braggadocios sprayer on social media.
Walter Edly · · Thomasville NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Do anything fun with the people that support you while you're off climbing.  The test is if they're smiling while you are doing it.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
earl mcalister wrote: My typical rest day: Sleep in as long as possible. Wake up and drink a press of coffee and lay around while you do this as long as possible. Poop. Return and keep drinking coffee if the press isn't empty (hopefully involves some more laying around if there is coffee left). Make a healthy breakfast with real food (I'm a big fan of egg scrambles with veggies, avocados and toast). Socialize if in a group camping situation for a while. Do a full yoga/stretch routine with lots of pushups/reclined dumbell presses (large rocks or 2 quart H2O water bottles work if you don't have dumbells) to oppose pulling muscles. My slow routine takes an hour. READ A BOOK for as long as you feel interested. A good book goes a long way. Drink water to hydrate the entire day. If in a social; situation when everyone else returns from climbing drink beer, talk about the day, tell them about books you read, bitch about trump, etc until it's time to make dinner, pack your bags and talk about tomorrow's plan.

= A day in the Boulder life. 

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
C Archibolt wrote:

= A day in the Boulder life. 

hmm not really. there was no mention of a subaru, dog or kombucha :)

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

My dream life when I just got out of the Army was to move to Boulder and work for NOAA....it never happened, I got a degree in Econometrics by accident instead of mathematics.

But I am a flattop wearing, pickup driving, handgun toting veteran.  I don't have a BMW or Mercedes, so I don't know if I would fit in. I am probably more Boise than Boulder.  

Still love spending an evening after climbing on Pearl Street sampling the craft beer.

Henry Winter · · Montreal, CA · Joined May 2020 · Points: 0

It's a pity nobody has replied here for such a long time. Today when we spend more time at home, it would be interesting to find out how people rest, maybe you have some good ideas about how not to be bored in isolation. I personally watch a lot of movies together with my family. Also, we play board games, cook, and create handmade toys together (our children like this). When I'm alone, I usually sit in my massage recliner, have a nap, or read books.

Jerod Mendolia · · Colorado Springs · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 40

Paddle boarding is light and the cold water does great things for the after activity inflammation. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Tips on how to take rest days?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started