Mountain Project Logo

Tips on how to take rest days?

Original Post
Anna LaSusa · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 10

Hey guys,

This is something I really struggle with myself and I’m guessing a lot of you do as well. Going from sending hard and feeling on top of the world to then forcing yourself to dial it back because your body is screaming out in need of a rest day flat out sucks. I’ve tried compensating with other activities like running or biking on days that I don’t climb but I push myself so far with those that it’s not really an active rest day at all, just another training day. I realize this isn’t conducive to a good training regimen but on those days where I do cut all activity I feel like my body is so off that I can’t even properly relax because I get antsy.

If any of you guys have tips on how to properly rest up send em’ this way because I could use them right about now

Andrew Reed · · CaƱon City, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 56

Pick up fly fishing 

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

Find a job? Sitting and typing on a computer is quite 'restful'.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

Don't worry, as you get older the pain and soreness will dictate your activities for you.
I had a very hard (for me) workout yesterday, legs and back, and today I had trouble bending over to put on my socks. My ass is so tight I had trouble sitting on the hard benches of the train coming into work   

I know about the crawling out of your skin from inactivity, a long walk or hike is probably enough to take care of them.  If you live in Boulder, there is a ton of places to hike, do that.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Ha I would disagree with that Phil...nothing more draining than stressful or boring jobs.  Most pro trainers seem to advocate for “active recovery” days, so lying prone for 24 hours isn’t the answer.  Moderate aerobic exercise is a good idea, but like you said, it’s easy to push it too far, which is counterproductive.  Have you tried using a heart rate monitor?  The key seems to be to stay in the lipolytic zone (nose breathing, still able to carry on a conversation but breaking a mild sweat), which will keep your muscles warm and blood pumping without getting you sore.

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Ted Pinson wrote: Ha I would disagree with that Phil...nothing more draining than stressful or boring jobs.
That's the wrong type of job then ;)

When I was on an extended climbing trip in Europe, I began teaching myself software development on the rest days. It ended up being very beneficial. If you can't sit still long enough, do more downers.

That’s very different.  Exploring something you are genuinely interested in is not the same as doing “work” for another person, which was what I pictured from your original response.  Most people I know who sit at a computer all day for work don’t exactly describe it as “restful.”

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
andrew.reed wrote: Pick up fly fishing 

This helps you relax and it makes your wallet super light weight. 

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

volunteer...

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

There are some great scrambles in the Flatirons.

The right core exercises can be low impact for rest days.

Same with stretching. Although I believe that works better if done daily. 

Lee Harris · · Cleveland, TN · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 30

I like to drink too much, and then be too hungover to exercise the next day. Everyone is different though.

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

Netflix

Brian 1 · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

b o n g r i p s

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

One day you will get old, and then it would be harder to push yourself to go hard on the climbing days, but the rest days won't be a problem at all!
(Or so I've been told...)   

Lin Robinson wrote: Netflix

And chill?  Not sure if that counts as “resting.”

Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555

Climbing is a rest day from work.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Walk.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Noah Yetter wrote: Walk.

re....spect....

that's a pantera joke...
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

If its been a huge summit day or big alpine climb I opt for laundry, library and swimming day.  other rest days usually involve hikeing and swimming. hike to that lake and swim.  4 to 6 miles is a about perfect for me but not enough for Isa. My worst rest day was 16 miles. did 12k one time in sandals on a rest day... cold water is good for the aching bones....

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

If you are simply antsy, long walks, a lap on the second Flatiron, a swim or a long easy bike ride are good rest day activities. But, when I first read your question, it seemed more like a question about your psyche, rather than a simple request for an alternate activity. Climbing, and other strenuous skill sports, have an addictive quality. When you are succeeding on a hard route or boulder problem, if feels like you are succeeding at life. It's really hard to step away. Maybe you need to practice simply being alone with yourself. On Boredom A Google search yields many results.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

This is addictive behavior. Find the equivalent of Antabuse.

Maybe watch hours of extremely boring, unedited GoPro climbing video with lots of discussion of feelings about the moves.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Tips on how to take rest days?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started